Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is 100k a large salary for Long Island?
Yes 42 25.93%
No 120 74.07%
Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 12:28 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,034,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottzilla View Post
You are so wrong it's comical. Yet you cling to what the only Harvard educated person you know has to say.
We live in the land of the $46,000 pick up truck dude. Consumer spending is, for the most part, out of control. Financial "Experts" were talking about this stuff prior to the tech bubble exploding.
It's not just one or the other.
Okay, so now we don't agree?

And she was educated at the University of Houston and Rutgers Law.

Give it up kid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2011, 12:28 PM

1,917 posts, read 5,344,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
Correction: See City of Syracuse metro... and only in some areas. The metro is overwhelmingly affordable. $60K/year up here, for a family, is plenty to live comfortably and then some. We're in the 16th best district in the state (over 700 districts) and *got by* with $15K/year, just 5 years ago... $60K is a jackpot. And MANY more families make twice that.

15 minutes from downtown Syracuse.

Yeah but....it's Syracuse.

Old 06-07-2011, 12:29 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,028,251 times
Quote:
Oh yay, the charts & graphs guy is here.
Does actual data scare you? I notice you never use any.

Old 06-07-2011, 12:30 PM

2,440 posts, read 5,759,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Read the report I referenced earlier if you have any inclination to believe in reality as opposed to fiction.

MY 30K a year was referencing private schools. On average college costs much more now than it did 30 years ago, that's a fact.
Until attending a state school and acquiring a bachelor's for the cost of a SINGLE year at private school is no longer REALITY, it's not actually fictional. An average is just that. Teenagers shouldn't be picking their college of choice and making their parents scramble to pay for it. If parents are GENEROUS enough to offer to pay for even a smidgeon of the new "adult's" education, it's going to be where the parent says it is. Otherwise, find YOURSELF a way to pay for it.

And I should hope it DOES cost more for college now than it used to be! It was 30 years ago. (<--- that's a joke. Quite different, after accounting for inflation.) A college degree used to be a mark of a fine education... and now, sometimes, it still is. Overpaying for a post-secondary education is no one's fault but the applicants'... and their families who pay for it. They inflate the value beyond all reason.

Two years of community college at $5K/year. Two more years of state college at $7/year. I'm not seeing outrageous anywhere... outrageous is taking out loans for tens or hundreds of thousands more than necessary.

Old 06-07-2011, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Does actual data scare you? I notice you never use any.

He has 30 years of charts and graphs in his head underneath the hat with the 2 beer can holders.

Old 06-07-2011, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Until attending a state school and acquiring a bachelor's for the cost of a SINGLE year at private school is no longer REALITY, it's not actually fictional. An average is just that. Teenagers shouldn't be picking their college of choice and making their parents scramble to pay for it. If parents are GENEROUS enough to offer to pay for even a smidgeon of the new "adult's" education, it's going to be where the parent says it is. Otherwise, find YOURSELF a way to pay for it.

And I should hope it DOES cost more for college now than it used to be! It was 30 years ago. (<--- that's a joke. Quite different, after accounting for inflation.) A college degree used to be a mark of a fine education... and now, sometimes, it still is. Overpaying for a post-secondary education is no one's fault but the applicants'... and their families who pay for it. They inflate the value beyond all reason.

Two years of community college at $5K/year. Two more years of state college at $7/year. I'm not seeing outrageous anywhere... outrageous is taking out loans for tens or hundreds of thousands more than necessary.

I'm not sure who you're really arguing against since I went to state school and my kid will most likely be too unless he gets a scholarship.

I know, we're holier than thou because we know how to be frugal.

Old 06-07-2011, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Yeah but....it's Syracuse.
True! The Syracuse area isn't for everyone... but for a family who's just looking to work to live and enjoy their downtime in a beautiful setting, it's perfect. I'm seeing a lot of protest, in this thread, that it's difficult to support a family on $100K on LI- it's needless.

Our bars close at 2am, midnight if it's not busy. The clubs are open until 2am. We have festivals year 'round, heaviest in the warmer weather. The Finger Lakes (second only to Napa Valley in the US) are 45 minutes away, at most, for a weekend at the wineries. We have timely snow removal and activities throughout the winter. The country is typically 15 minutes in any direction, at most, assuming that you live and work in the city already (unlikely)... if you don't, it's just minutes away from plentiful glacier lakes and parks and hiking and waterfalls.

Like I said, I can't complain. I just love my area and wanted to give it a nudge in that direction.

Old 06-07-2011, 12:40 PM

Quote:
True! The Syracuse area isn't for everyone... but for a family who's just looking to work to live and enjoy their downtime in a beautiful setting, it's perfect. I'm seeing a lot of protest, in this thread, that it's difficult to support a family on $100K on LI- it's needless.

Our bars close at 2am, midnight if it's not busy. The clubs are open until 2am. We have festivals year 'round, heaviest in the warmer weather. The Finger Lakes (second only to Napa Valley in the US) are 45 minutes away, at most, for a weekend at the wineries. We have timely snow removal and activities throughout the winter. The country is typically 15 minutes in any direction, at most, assuming that you live and work in the city already (unlikely)... if you don't, it's just minutes away from plentiful glacier lakes and parks and hiking and waterfalls.

Like I said, I can't complain. I just love my area and wanted to give it a nudge in that direction.
I love upstate NY..in the summer.

Most people here think the winter on LI stinks, so moving there is not a consideration..although for what you pay here you could have a house in Syrcause and a condo in Florida in an ok area...but then there's those pesky kids and their schooling.

Old 06-07-2011, 12:41 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure who you're really arguing against since I went to state school and my kid will most likely be too unless he gets a scholarship.

I know, we're holier than thou because we know how to be frugal.
It's not frugality... it's common sense. Why pay more than you need to?

People need to stop looking at averages and just buy what their income and savings can afford... not what their credit can loan them.

"Look, honey- the average college tuition is $30K/year... we're getting a helluva deal at $20K/year, aren't we?!"

Old 06-07-2011, 12:45 PM

3,519 posts, read 2,821,735 times
Quote:
Probably the part where you repeated that it's people spending money on things that they don't need.

Here's how you do it Scott:

"I am Scott, and my intial assumption was wrong."

Not really that difficult.
See post # 176 for this.

The report from Ms. Warren goes specifically into why the things Scott mentioned in that post are not the reason a 2nd wage earner is important. We are spending less now on everything he menitoned than a family in the 70's would have spent for the same or similar items.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island