Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is 100k a large salary for Long Island?
Yes 42 25.93%
No 120 74.07%
Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 10:42 AM

90 posts, read 216,771 times

Advertisements

If 100k isnt enough, then how is the average household income in both nassau and suffolk counties well below 100k? just saying...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2011, 01:12 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,815,046 times
I grew up on Long Island, and now make around 100K. I am in my early 30's, have saved for a down payment, and am looking to start a family.

It's not that I don't think I can afford Long Island, it's that I don't think Long Island is worth it at this point. I still think that the houses are overpriced by about 30-50%, and the property taxes are way too high. The public employee bubble has not yet busted, and I am not interested in flushing $1,000 down the toilet every month until that happens. I could be saving that money for my kid's college, or for my own retirement. Anyone who is trying to pawn off their house at this point, I apologize. I will put off buying until you get your public employee pension problem under control and are willing to sell your homes at a level that is economically sustainable. Selling a house today for 280K that sold for 150K 10 years ago doesn't make sense. I would never by an investment that is so out of whack when you consider the average rate of inflation.

Old 09-24-2011, 02:14 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,028,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viclom View Post
If 100k isnt enough, then how is the average household income in both nassau and suffolk counties well below 100k? just saying...
It's simple really... just need to have bought a home pre-2000 or be civil service.

Old 09-25-2011, 12:45 PM

5,052 posts, read 3,955,268 times
100k take-home would be enough. 100K gross salary (prior to the 40% whack for federal, state, and sales taxes) is not enough.

Old 10-15-2011, 10:02 AM

398 posts, read 837,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indiana515 View Post
what boggles me is seeing so many middle aged people working retail probably making $9 an hour...where do they live??? do they rent apartments all their lives?
sadly, some people with careers also work retail to get extra disposable income and the store discount.

Old 10-15-2011, 10:04 AM

398 posts, read 837,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
So tired of this BS. Childcare for one kid costs 10K+. People aren't struggling because of friggin baby slings. They also aren't struggling because they have flat panel TV's. That's a bunch of baby boomer talking point jibberish.

People are stuggling because the following necessities are far more expensive relative to income then they were 30 years ago when you only needed one income to survive:

Housing
Childcare
Medical Care
Education.

Not because of baby slings and TVs.
That's the truth. When both parents have to work it costs a lot to have someone watch your children.

Most young couples I know have the grandparents watching their children for free. My parents wouldn't offer and I don't think I would put that on them.

Old 10-15-2011, 11:24 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,171,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyliguy View Post
That's the truth. When both parents have to work it costs a lot to have someone watch your children.

Most young couples I know have the grandparents watching their children for free. My parents wouldn't offer and I don't think I would put that on them.

Its the least they could do after causing this mess.
Me generation my ass.

Tell them your moving their grandkids to tarnation and watch how fast they offer to sit.
Mustve been nice to live on one salary here in the 70s.

Slackers
; )

Welcome to LI, all hands on deck or GTFO.

Crooks

Old 10-16-2011, 05:36 AM

629 posts, read 1,701,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
I grew up on Long Island, and now make around 100K. I am in my early 30's, have saved for a down payment, and am looking to start a family.

It's not that I don't think I can afford Long Island, it's that I don't think Long Island is worth it at this point. I still think that the houses are overpriced by about 30-50%, and the property taxes are way too high. The public employee bubble has not yet busted, and I am not interested in flushing $1,000 down the toilet every month until that happens. I could be saving that money for my kid's college, or for my own retirement. Anyone who is trying to pawn off their house at this point, I apologize. I will put off buying until you get your public employee pension problem under control and are willing to sell your homes at a level that is economically sustainable. Selling a house today for 280K that sold for 150K 10 years ago doesn't make sense. I would never by an investment that is so out of whack when you consider the average rate of inflation.
Young man - I applaud you. If you were my son - I'd be very proud of you. Take what you can from this over-rated Island (education, experience and memories) and move. Don't fall into the trap of falling for the sales pitch offered by those trapped here! Good luck and God Bless!

Old 10-17-2011, 07:08 PM

57,270 posts, read 26,199,434 times
Median family income for Long Island for 2010 was $86,232.

I agree the cost of living on LI is high, the bureacracy of taxing districts is unrivaled, there are suburban areas where you can do better, but the list is short.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island