Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 12:03 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,597,644 times

Advertisements

Central Islip School Board to adopt budget plan tonight

"Today, the superintendent tells News 12 that up to 154 teachers would be laid off if there is no tax hike.
Officials say if there is a 16 percent tax hike, only 20 or 30 teaching positions would be eliminated. Taxpayers will get the final say during a budget vote on May 17."

Holy cow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2011, 12:35 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,210,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Central Islip School Board to adopt budget plan tonight

"Today, the superintendent tells News 12 that up to 154 teachers would be laid off if there is no tax hike.
Officials say if there is a 16 percent tax hike, only 20 or 30 teaching positions would be eliminated. Taxpayers will get the final say during a budget vote on May 17."

Holy cow.
It's getting down to the wire, and wow, the taxpayers are actually going to be allowed to make a big decision!

16% tax hike is really steep. And even if they do it, there will still be teachers let go.

Besides cutting programs for the kids, due to the strongarm teachers' union running the personnel show, there is nothing else to do to save money but to "excess" (i.e., let go) teachers.

What I would like to know is what is the superintendant and administrators doing? Are any of the administrative positions going to be excessed? Are any of these people going to at least take no raises? I hope so. Because they are certainly a part of the problem and use the teachers' contracts as the excuse to pay themselves like the rockstars of the civil service world.

Old 04-11-2011, 12:42 PM

6,380 posts, read 13,102,705 times
Lets face it, almost all towns are taxed to the breaking point. I think this is where we are going to start seeing major changes..wether it be for better or for worse.

Old 04-11-2011, 01:24 PM

2,942 posts, read 5,991,242 times
Just the mere mention of a double-digit tax hike says it all on the feasiblity of "passing" such a budget.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:16 AM

1 posts, read 1,370 times
Default Totally Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
It's getting down to the wire, and wow, the taxpayers are actually going to be allowed to make a big decision!

16% tax hike is really steep. And even if they do it, there will still be teachers let go.

Besides cutting programs for the kids, due to the strongarm teachers' union running the personnel show, there is nothing else to do to save money but to "excess" (i.e., let go) teachers.

What I would like to know is what is the superintendant and administrators doing? Are any of the administrative positions going to be excessed? Are any of these people going to at least take no raises? I hope so. Because they are certainly a part of the problem and use the teachers' contracts as the excuse to pay themselves like the rockstars of the civil service world.
Why won't the administrators step up to the plate and take one for the team. They purposely put tax payers and teachers against each other over this issue every year. It's not fair to the students and for the most part the teachers. I think these administrators and offices should either be eliminated or have a pay freezes. It's unbelievable the waste that keeps accumulating in these schools throughout Long Island along with these unions. Has anybody thought of getting rid of the unions too? They all want a pay raise meanwhile the taxpayers themselves aren't getting the same pay increases and in some cases they have lost their jobs. My son graduates this year so I already know what I am voting for. I feel guilty and bad for the students, but something has to change. Tax hike of 16% for the area that I live and every year we get less and less, it's not worth it.

Old 04-13-2011, 08:07 AM

1,609 posts, read 4,673,409 times
Don't they hold another vote if it gets voted down?

Old 04-13-2011, 10:03 AM

3,351 posts, read 9,731,282 times
Districts are allowed two votes before they are required to adopt an austerity budget.

Old 04-13-2011, 07:06 PM

8,802 posts, read 21,216,368 times
I am pretty sure that despite their dismal test scores and terrible educational system that Central Islip teachers are among the highest paid on the island.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 04-13-2011, 07:17 PM

74 posts, read 206,882 times
It must be the teachers of that school that are terrible. Can't be the students, the parents, nor the culture...

Old 04-13-2011, 08:55 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,631,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreciousMonster View Post
It must be the teachers of that school that are terrible. Can't be the students, the parents, nor the culture...
No one said the teachers are terrible - only you, a teacher.

No school district is worth a 16% RE tax hike. People are literally being taxed out of their houses. It's indefensible. What are they going to come up with next after this outrageous proposed tax hike is more than likely passed? (with students 18 and over being brought in by busloads and a revote - that's what they have done in Huntington in the past.) 20%? Then 25%? You can't get blood out of a stone. People just don't have the money. Pretty soon we'll all be working to support the teachers and administrators, never mind that the rest of us are trying to save for future endeavors - college, retirement, maybe buying a car to get to the job that pays those thousands-of-dollars tax bills.

We all know you're a teacher trying to defend with your sarcasm teachers' off-the-charts paycheck and benefits. You're fighting a losing battle - eventually everyone's wallets - the non-public school employees whose paychecks can't keep up with the LI economy - will run dry and are already running dry.

Regarding your uncalled for remark about students and parents and the culture, can't say I'm surprised by anything you could possibly have to say. Hopefully your attitude isn't a true representation of the majority of teachers' - merely an anomaly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island