U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 06:47 PM

586 posts, read 1,413,004 times

Advertisements

You can still get a house for $265k on LI? Where? :-D
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2011, 06:49 PM

840 posts, read 2,269,449 times
nowhere you want to be

Old 04-12-2011, 07:28 PM

33 posts, read 63,707 times
Kunk 10
Wow I don't even know what to say. Speechless!
I guess you are too good to live in my town or the towns around me. People never cease to amaze me.

notdancingqueen
There are plenty of towns in Suffolk that you can buy a decent house in for that price.........PJS, Terryville, Coram, Middle Island, Ridge, Shirley, Mastic, Patchogue, Medford, Rocky Point, Selden, Centereach, Ronkonkoma, Holtsville, ect...

That's not the asking price but houses are closing for $265,000. Some are short sales and some aren't but if you are looking for a decent 3 bedroom ranch you can find one in these towns for between $265k to $285k. We are looking for at least a four bedroom and they are harder to come by so prices vary a little more.

Last edited by comsewoguefam; 04-12-2011 at 07:38 PM..

Old 04-12-2011, 07:34 PM

929 posts, read 1,929,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by comsewoguefam View Post
This is so true and exactly what we have been seeing. Once in a while we see a house priced within 10k of what the market seems to be at, and then they are in contract within a few weeks. Otherwise houses seem to be $25k to $30k above what mlsli is showing in actual sales prices.
A few homeowners have mentioned how much they have put into their homes over the past 20 years they expect to get the dollar amount back out.....and now their roof and burner are 15 years old. Great!
No kidding! I've seen words like "Mint, Diamond++, and Immaculate" that describe houses that haven't had a thing changed since the late 1980s. What people don't realize is that a house is a horrible investment.

My worst experience was having an inspector look at a house of a widow and the inspector's report ripped apart a lot of the work that the woman's late husband did, but it was done shoddily and it needed to be pointed out to better assess the value and risk of buying the house.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:38 PM

if you work in manhattan, none of those are reasonable options.

Quote:
Kunk 10
Wow I don't even know what to say. Speechless!
I guess you are too good to live in my town or the towns around me. People never cease to amaze me.

notdancingqueen
There are plenty of towns in Suffolk that you can buy a decent house in for that price.........PJS, Terryville, Coram, Middle Island, Ridge, Shirley, Mastic, Patchogue, Medford, Rocky Point, Selden, Centereach, Ronkonkoma, Holtsville, ect...

That's not the asking price but houses are closing for $265,000. Some are short sales and some aren't but if you are looking for a decent 3 bedroom ranch you can find one in these towns for between $265k to $285k. We are looking for at least a four bedroom and they are harder to come by so prices vary a little more.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:45 PM

33 posts, read 63,707 times
Plenty of my neighbors work in Manhattan......some are steamfitters, NYPD, FDNY, union insulators, commercial real estate agents and some are investment bankers.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:49 PM

i am not doubting the niceties, I just think the commute is insane QOL wise. I love northport and would love my life there I bet...on the weekends. I am not being snooty but I would prefer to pay a premium for proximity. I'd never see my kids, never be able to go to the gym, etc.

Old 04-12-2011, 08:28 PM

9,341 posts, read 27,500,537 times
Quote:
notdancingqueen

Except for Patchogue, which is a village, all the other communities in the above list are hamlets.

NYS Geographic Glossary may be of some help to you in understanding the geography of "Lawn Guyland".

Old 04-12-2011, 08:56 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,222,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEconomist View Post
The housing market seems to be very interesting right now. Many houses on the market that are priced for the homeowner to "break even." But you need to focus on what the value is and not what the homeowner wants. Don't worry about hurting people's feeling, because if your doing it right you will push them out of their comfort level.

There seems to be a huge disconnect from where the houses are listing to where they are actually selling. But, focus on what price the houses are selling for in the area you seek. And watch out for prices that are set to move the house. I've seen some bidding wars in the year that we've been searching.
This is pretty solid advice.

Personally I'd check places like Zillow where you can see the last price the house was sold at.

Old 04-12-2011, 09:23 PM

7,658 posts, read 17,826,175 times
Quote:
We are currently looking to purchase a house. We have been renting a house from immediate family and have been paying the mortgage, taxes and insurance which totals $2300.00 a month. We would like to purchase our own home and have been pre qualified. We have found a few that we like, so I have checked the recent neighborhood sales (on mlsli) and found most of the ones for sale are priced WAY above what the houses have actually sold for in the area. We would like to make an offer but don't want to go so low that we offend the homeowners. However we don't want to over pay for a house either. We are looking at asking prices of $319,000 and under but a lot of houses in the area are actually closing around $265,000 to $285,000.
I thinks its tighter at the mid or bottom pricing wise.

319 ask...unless theyre desperate I cant see going for less than 290.

10% ish

Where are you moving to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island