U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 09:26 PM

7,658 posts, read 17,817,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by comsewoguefam View Post
Plenty of my neighbors work in Manhattan......some are steamfitters, NYPD, FDNY, union insulators, commercial real estate agents and some are investment bankers.
Mine too.

Just stand on a platform at Ronko in the AM and you will meet people from every one of those towns.

And the trains PACKED.

Crooks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2011, 06:20 AM

1,917 posts, read 4,985,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kunk10 View Post
if you work in manhattan, none of those are reasonable options.

Really? Have you heard of the LIRR?

Ithink it would be best if youmoved away from LI asap. You don't sound in to living here.

Old 04-13-2011, 07:35 AM

840 posts, read 2,268,311 times
a little defensive huh? i like port jeff and st. james, maybe i'll retire there but why anyone would commute from there to nyc everyday is beyond me. some of you suffolk guys see nassau as an affront to your way of life seemingly.

Old 04-13-2011, 07:46 AM

5,944 posts, read 9,091,342 times
Quote:
i am not doubting the niceties, I just think the commute is insane QOL wise. I love northport and would love my life there I bet...on the weekends. I am not being snooty but I would prefer to pay a premium for proximity. I'd never see my kids, never be able to go to the gym, etc.
Exactly... I'd suggest that you don't bother trying to explain this side of it here on this forum as you'll be faced with the ultimate argument I have with my kids. "But so many people are doing it", which of course doesn't just make it right - it somehow magically makes it the norm.

I'd been on that side of the Ronko commute for many years and I don't give 3 wags how many people justify by commiserating with others doing it. Over paying for a horribly antiquated and dilapidated rail - then deal with 2 1/2 hours door to door... Stuck on the train for that long, it's fun with drinking games and cards in your 20s and 30s. Then it just becomes plain flat out sad after years of being completely boxed walking with a tilt to the car Mon-Fri. Only to get home after the kids are asleep.

If you're making a NYC salary you should be able to afford something in Nassau with a reasonable commute... If you can't, it's all still very broken.

Old 04-13-2011, 08:09 AM

Quote:
a little defensive huh? i like port jeff and st. james, maybe i'll retire there but why anyone would commute from there to nyc everyday is beyond me. some of you suffolk guys see nassau as an affront to your way of life seemingly.
Retire in Port Jeff lol.

If thats not the Nashole QOTD ; )

We just dont see the value in Nassau. Many of us see it as Queens East.
Perhaps rightly so, I honestly cant tell much of a difference between Mineola and Bellerose. I would just take the shorter commute and send my kid to Catholic school.

But thats me. Im sure Herricks or whatever it is is awesome.

The good news is at least your here, near the best City in the world and you havent been shaken off.
Its still a great place to live and not everyone has to commute to NYC regularly these days to earn a living.

Crooks

Last edited by Crookhaven; 04-13-2011 at 08:18 AM..

Old 04-13-2011, 08:18 AM

840 posts, read 2,268,311 times
i guess, but i wouldn't really consider glen head, roslyn, sea cliff, great neck, etc. queens east.

Old 04-13-2011, 08:18 AM

1,917 posts, read 4,985,299 times
Quote:

Nope, worked in Nassau for a few years. Oddly, the commute to NYC out of Ronk on the LIRR was faster than driving to Nassau.

Old 04-13-2011, 08:19 AM

Quote:
i guess, but i wouldn't really consider glen head, roslyn, sea cliff, great neck, etc. queens east.
I wouldnt really consider Whitestone, Malba,Douglaston or Jamaica Estates, etc Nassau West either.

The draw of Nassau is becoming less relevant in the Virtual age.
The Gold Coast will always be the Gold Coast but what this means for the value of the rest will remain to be seen.

Truthfully, I prefer Bayside to Great Neck anyway.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:06 AM

33 posts, read 63,664 times
Quote:
There are people working in NYC that simply can not afford to live in the towns you mention, even making a large salary. A $650k purchase price is out of the question for some due to the 20% you need to get the mortgage. We all don't have $100,000+ around to put down on a house.
Friends of mine live in upscale Suffolk communities and paid in the mid $400's for their houses. Big difference out here. Their kids get good schools, big backyards and weekends at the beach. Honestly the people I know really don't complain about their commute, it's just a way of life. I guess the ones who really hate it would move to Wantaugh, Seaford or Oceanside where you can buy in the $400's and have less of a commute.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:24 AM

33 posts, read 63,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
I thinks its tighter at the mid or bottom pricing wise.

319 ask...unless theyre desperate I cant see going for less than 290.

10% ish

Where are you moving to?
I was thinking the same thing but it's hard to tell whether or not the asking prices are reasonable sometimes because they vary so much even with similar neighborhoods and houses.
We are looking in the Longwood and Comsewogue school districts. I have lived in both school districts and would like to stay in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island