Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 09:32 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunk10 View Post
a little defensive huh? i like port jeff and st. james, maybe i'll retire there but why anyone would commute from there to nyc everyday is beyond me. some of you suffolk guys see nassau as an affront to your way of life seemingly.
If everyone liked Nassau, it would be a heckuva lot more congested than it already is. I grew up in Nassau and couldn't wait to leave. It wasn't my style. The areas I do like are way out of my price range -- Mill Neck, Sands Point, Lattington, etc.

I'm fortunate that our business is local; if I did have to do the commute, I probably would have moved to Huntington/Greenlawn. There's no way I would spend 2 hours stuck on a train each way everyday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2011, 09:42 AM

1,386 posts, read 5,344,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by comsewoguefam View Post
There are people working in NYC that simply can not afford to live in the towns you mention, even making a large salary. A $650k purchase price is out of the question for some due to the 20% you need to get the mortgage. We all don't have $100,000+ around to put down on a house.
Friends of mine live in upscale Suffolk communities and paid in the mid $400's for their houses. Big difference out here. Their kids get good schools, big backyards and weekends at the beach. Honestly the people I know really don't complain about their commute, it's just a way of life. I guess the ones who really hate it would move to Wantaugh, Seaford or Oceanside where you can buy in the $400's and have less of a commute.

It all depends on your budget and what you're willing to sacrifice. Wantagh commute to the City isn't bad, but it isn't great. still door to door 1.5 hrs. Thats 3 hrs a day commuting. Those living in eastern suffolk and commuting to the City are making a greater sacrifice, more than I could. A lot of the professions mentioned work reallly early, or can make their own hours. That is probably the only way you can maintain any sanity doing that,but to each his own.

The Queens East comments are hyperbole. Nassau is far from queens in most places. there are a few towns on the boarder that have the same feel, but for the most part it is still very suburban. Its just not as spread out as suffolk. If its not for you, I get it, but there are plenty of more affordable options in Nassau that are in commuting distance from NYC.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:42 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,152,502 times
I would never commute more than an hour door to door. If I had to I would be either moving or finding a new job.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:45 AM

827 posts, read 3,093,809 times
Make sure when you are looking at prices of houses that sold already that you are comparing apples to apples. If they are short sales, they are going to sell for less b/c the banks don't want to be stuck with them in the end. If you are looking at sold short sales amounts, then be sure to look at houses on the market that are short sales as well. If you are looking at sold prices of foreclosures, you can only compare the price to a for sale foreclosed home. When I was looking at houses, I looked at short sales and regular selling homes and the short sales always had issues. I was speaking to the TOS tax assessor the other day and he mentioned something to me about grieving my taxes. But to be honest with you, lots of houses in the area are either short sales or foreclosures (sold for less) and my house wouldn't sell for as low as those houses so to me it wouldn't even be worth it to try to grieve them. If houses in the area that are in excellent condition were selling for those lower values in my area, then I would definitely grieve them but knowing the houses that are selling for a lot less in my area are short sales, to me it's not even worth it to try to grieve them b/c there's just no comparison. Just my opinion though.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:46 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,166,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisk327 View Post
It all depends on your budget and what you're willing to sacrifice. Wantagh commute to the City isn't bad, but it isn't great. still door to door 1.5 hrs. Thats 3 hrs a day commuting. Those living in eastern suffolk and commuting to the City are making a greater sacrifice, more than I could. A lot of the professions mentioned work reallly early, or can make their own hours. That is probably the only way you can maintain any sanity doing that,but to each his own.

The Queens East comments are hyperbole. Nassau is far from queens in most places. there are a few towns on the boarder that have the same feel, but for the most part it is still very suburban. Its just not as spread out as suffolk. If its not for you, I get it, but there are plenty of more affordable options in Nassau that are in commuting distance from NYC.
Thats fair.

Wantaghs a definitely nice suburban town as is most of South Nassau but if your going to do 1.5 each way why not Ronko?Its 1:15 by rail.

I was speaking more about W Nass/E Queens and they arent too far off.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:59 AM

840 posts, read 2,444,922 times
it's not just lirr. it's the drive to the train, the walk from your spot, the walk to the office or worse the subway. I get on at stewart manor and walk 3 blocks from penn and I can barely stand it.

Old 04-13-2011, 10:04 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kunk10 View Post
it's not just lirr. it's the drive to the train, the walk from your spot, the walk to the office or worse the subway. I get on at stewart manor and walk 3 blocks from penn and I can barely stand it.
Things that I, as a non commuter, don't take into account but is very relevant to anyone considering a house further east with an NYC commute.

Old 04-13-2011, 10:39 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,166,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Things that I, as a non commuter, don't take into account but is very relevant to anyone considering a house further east with an NYC commute.

Agreed.

I know people who take 1hr from Queens to Wall St.

Old 04-13-2011, 11:22 AM

487 posts, read 1,363,680 times
actually most of East Queens takes more than 1 hour door-to-door to get to down town unless you are near either the Port Wash line or the Jamaica line

Old 04-13-2011, 11:35 AM

840 posts, read 2,444,922 times
it isn't just purely time. If the lirr goes down, you're f'd. If you live in the butt-end of queens, you can still get buses or a cab.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island