Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 05:16 AM

172 posts, read 292,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEconomist View Post
And a measly $500 increase per taxpayer in CI. That's absolutely brilliant, so they get less teachers, more cuts, and more taxes. This really is bordering on absurdity.
And they are the only people who can afford the tax increase, because it's well within their means, especially with their raises.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2011, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha Anne View Post
I used to be certified in English and Language Arts (let it drop) and also hold a Master of Social Work degree as well as a license.

I want the world to understand that I worked harder as a social worker than I did as a teacher. Yet, I was paid a fraction of the salary.

I worked as a substitute all over Nassau County at one time, as well as NYC, having moved back to NY from out of state. This was almost 20 years ago and I was disgusted and shocked at the salaries on LI. Just too plain high! The principal of a Nassau middle school was making over $200K - I could have done his job, sorry, but it's true. The parents and taxpayers WANTED it this way, spoiled brats, all of them, I say. Let's get real. Now everyone is scandalized? A bit too late. I worked in a wealthy town's middle school and the librarian had an assistant and stood around while the teachers and assistant did the work. I watched him. He literally sat at his desk and tried to have long chats with me. Making, 20 years ago, mind you, $90K a year, no lesson planning to do, watching the clock so he could retire. Disgusting. Everyone (townsfolk) seemed afraid to complain lest they be seen as "not in favor of top schools for our children". It's all about a sense of entitlement and also fear mongering.

Get real, Long Islanders. You should have a revolution. I can't believe how you let this happen.
I have no idea how this happened either, I am totally embarassed, however they pulled the wool over our eyes, did this behind closed doors, never thinking we would be able to have the access to their secret contracts. The first time I viewed a contract, which was about a month ago, I was shocked at the lateral increases along with the step increases. My goodness, take a class in something and get a raise! In what other industry does this happen? This is simply nauseating.

Old 04-15-2011, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
This is a bout as bad as it gets because they are stuck with this contract until 2015 with the slary increases and health care costs.
Additionally when they negotiate in 2015 there is little they can do regarding the 4.7% step increases, even if they reach impasse they can sit on this contract and continue to get the step increases.

The district taxpayers have no one to blame but themselves for electing the BOE and not paying attention.

Stuck? Like the AMerican Airlines pilots whose contracts were renegotiated? Excuse me, but they lost benefits, pensions and salaries. WHy? The company was BROKE that's why. And that's what has to happen here. We cannot afford these contracts, which are IMO illegal anyway. In essense these contracts are between WE THE TAXPAYER and the teachers. However, we were never a part of the negotiations. We need to renegotiate. Now.

Old 04-15-2011, 06:54 AM

57,271 posts, read 26,199,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freerunner View Post
Stuck? Like the AMerican Airlines pilots whose contracts were renegotiated? Excuse me, but they lost benefits, pensions and salaries. WHy? The company was BROKE that's why. And that's what has to happen here. We cannot afford these contracts, which are IMO illegal anyway. In essense these contracts are between WE THE TAXPAYER and the teachers. However, we were never a part of the negotiations. We need to renegotiate. Now.
They took away public union bargaining rights in Wisconsin for far less, imagine if the Wisconsin teachers where getting 9% increases. You have to wonder what it takes to get voters in NY to take action.

Old 04-15-2011, 08:08 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,006,998 times
We need to place television ads depicting members of the teachers unions as fat cats dining on 9% annual wage increases + pension benefits and lifetime health care. Show a table "tax payer funded teachers pension" vs. taxpayer paying annual school tax of "x" leaving next to nothing to save for their own retirement. Next screen show private taxpayers with starving children shopping at thrift stores for clothing and planning a vacation in their backyards. I'm sure that will send a swift message to the voters.

Of course, the teachers union will just say let them eat cake.

Now which tv station will carry the ad?

Old 04-15-2011, 01:01 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,643,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmlyBklyn View Post
We need to place television ads depicting members of the teachers unions as fat cats dining on 9% annual wage increases + pension benefits and lifetime health care. Show a table "tax payer funded teachers pension" vs. taxpayer paying annual school tax of "x" leaving next to nothing to save for their own retirement. Next screen show private taxpayers with starving children shopping at thrift stores for clothing and planning a vacation in their backyards. I'm sure that will send a swift message to the voters.

Of course, the teachers union will just say let them eat cake.

Now which tv station will carry the ad?
Cablevision? News Channel 12?

My husband's company just laid of 27 employees, and this year of course there are no raises for anyone. The company is trying to survive the economy. Naturally cost of living increases every year - especially those real estate taxes. Since the teachers have automatic raises, they are the only ones who can keep up with the taxes, as Freerunner said before.

Old 04-15-2011, 01:57 PM

62 posts, read 113,684 times
i think that mayb these teachers r utilizeing the strategy of people not caring what happens via being in a district that is primarily for illegal immigrants. am i rite? lol...

Old 04-15-2011, 04:43 PM

1,615 posts, read 3,581,006 times
Pool0890 wrote:
not a teacher

Old 04-15-2011, 05:02 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,267,934 times
Clearly, some English teachers should have loosed their jobs a long time ago.

Old 04-15-2011, 05:04 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,267,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandCitizen View Post
not a teacher

Note to self: Read threads from the most recent post backwards. Chances are LIC has already said the same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island