Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2011, 09:12 PM

41 posts, read 46,835 times

Advertisements

Here, Here....Wow! I guess you really told this 55 year old systems analyst who walked into a classroom for the first time in 2002. I suppose it doesnt make much difference to you that since then, I have been excessed twice; most recently a month ago. Yes, I have no position, no job in September 2011...and yes, I am tenured, have been for some 6 years...definition for tenure: due-process...not a guaranteed job for life!....how's that for attitude?

Its been easy for me over the last ten years having the acumen of analyzing systems to appreciate the fiscal inefficiencies top down in a district. As I posted previously, CI is an outrage but the majority of districts are freezing pay or taking a reduction. Districts have seen this coming for years. Negotiations have been on-going. Tiers have been modified accordingly. Where are you getting all this crap? Ah....wait... it must be Newsday.

Newsday is NOT the end all be all of school district information. When have they ever printed anything positive about public education? If it is your soul source, shame on the lot of you.

I refuse to defend the teaching profession. If any of you had a shred of rational intelligence, you would see that trashing teachers will kill the profession and trashing Union advocates is absolutely nonsense. Tax bills will continue to come due, tax bills will continue to rise. If you think your tax liability will change, youre kidding yourself. This is much bigger than teacher salaries.

In the end, the only ones that will suffer are the kids...cuz the adults just can't get their **** together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2011, 09:30 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,473,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massartmom View Post
Here, Here....Wow! I guess you really told this 55 year old systems analyst who walked into a classroom for the first time in 2002. I suppose it doesnt make much difference to you that since then, I have been excessed twice; most recently a month ago. Yes, I have no position, no job in September 2011...and yes, I am tenured, have been for some 6 years...definition for tenure: due-process...not a guaranteed job for life!....how's that for attitude?

Its been easy for me over the last ten years having the acumen of analyzing systems to appreciate the fiscal inefficiencies top down in a district. As I posted previously, CI is an outrage but the majority of districts are freezing pay or taking a reduction. Districts have seen this coming for years. Negotiations have been on-going. Tiers have been modified accordingly. Where are you getting all this crap? Ah....wait... it must be Newsday.

Newsday is NOT the end all be all of school district information. When have they ever printed anything positive about public education? If it is your soul source, shame on the lot of you.

I refuse to defend the teaching profession. If any of you had a shred of rational intelligence, you would see that trashing teachers will kill the profession and trashing Union advocates is absolutely nonsense. Tax bills will continue to come due, tax bills will continue to rise. If you think your tax liability will change, youre kidding yourself. This is much bigger than teacher salaries.

In the end, the only ones that will suffer are the kids...cuz the adults just can't get their **** together.
So we're back to the "For the children" defense.

Are you able to actually carry on this conversation or just going to lob out some politician talking points?

Old 04-17-2011, 10:33 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,699,824 times
I wonder how it is that in other parts of NYS teachers aren't paid as much and yet children continue to learn?

Even in the little town where my second home is located, they've managed to produce students who score high on the SATs, an Intel semifinalist (as well as Ivy league bound seniors) for a fraction of the school taxes which are paid here. How does that happen? Magic?

A host can die if the parasite continues to divert nutrition from it. When the host is dead, the parasite might die, too. Some parasites have evolved to merely weaken the host. Which sort of parasite is the teachers union?

Old 04-18-2011, 06:54 AM

172 posts, read 292,827 times
Quote:
Sounds like LIFO to me. You don't have the years in. Were you also .8 of a position or whatever they call part time in the schools. I have a friend who is in speech pathology 3 days a week in one school and one day in another who has been there over 20 years and was cut because they are cutting on the fringes instead of getting to the meat of the matter--the excessive salaries of the teachers and admins. That is why some schools are cutting aides and security guards. They can probably cut one assistant superintendant and save 10 jobs.

Old 04-18-2011, 07:20 AM

41 posts, read 46,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freerunner View Post
Sounds like LIFO to me. You don't have the years in. Were you also .8 of a position or whatever they call part time in the schools. I have a friend who is in speech pathology 3 days a week in one school and one day in another who has been there over 20 years and was cut because they are cutting on the fringes instead of getting to the meat of the matter--the excessive salaries of the teachers and admins. That is why some schools are cutting aides and security guards. They can probably cut one assistant superintendant and save 10 jobs.
Youre exaggerating of course...1 sup = 10 jobs. And almost 10 years isnt long enough? And no, I was not part-time. FYI, excessive salaries are a thing of the past; attrition thru retirement.

But I have a question for you, are you advocating that a person who has worked 25-30 years in a position not be compensated fairly? How much do you expect to make after working for 25-30 years? That is, of course, if you can remain at a job after 10 years. Typically, in today's workplace, once you reach the top of your salary bracket, youre a target and not long after, youre history. Because of this economic mess we're in, I am happy to know that the "powers that be" in my district have to follow every letter of the law before they even hint at letting a teacher go. Unfortunately, I am the last one in (my department) so the first one out.

Who do you think is going to hire a 55 year old washed-up analyst turned public school teacher? ha!

Old 04-18-2011, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Youre exaggerating of course...1 sup = 10 jobs. And almost 10 years isnt long enough? And no, I was not part-time. FYI, excessive salaries are a thing of the past; attrition thru retirement.

But I have a question for you, are you advocating that a person who has worked 25-30 years in a position not be compensated fairly? How much do you expect to make after working for 25-30 years? That is, of course, if you can remain at a job after 10 years. Typically, in today's workplace, once you reach the top of your salary bracket, youre a target and not long after, youre history. Because of this economic mess we're in, I am happy to know that the "powers that be" in my district have to follow every letter of the law before they even hint at letting a teacher go. Unfortunately, I am the last one in (my department) so the first one out.

Who do you think is going to hire a 55 year old washed-up analyst turned public school teacher? ha!
"Fairly compensated", sure. They can get a 3% raise each year, give a bonus for teaching AP courses.

They don't deserve 2-3x inflationary raises.
They don't deserve 50% higher benefit packages.

Lets say we have teacher A and teacher B. Teacher A is a typical LI teacher with 20 years, Teacher B is what we'll deem a "fairly compensated" teacher.

Both start out at 45K.
Teacher A gets 8% raises and LI Benefits.
Teacher B gets 3% raises and normal benefits.

Teacher A makes 113xxx after 20 years with an average of ~104K in total compensation for a rough total of 2,080,000.

Teacher B makes 70xxx after 20 years with an average of ~74K in total compensation for a rough total of 1,480,000.

The outrageous payouts that teachers currently saddle the taxpayers with costs us a little 25% of a teacher over a 20 year period. Think of the children, have teachers "fairly compensated".

Old 04-18-2011, 08:43 AM

570 posts, read 1,214,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I wonder how it is that in other parts of NYS teachers aren't paid as much and yet children continue to learn?

Even in the little town where my second home is located, they've managed to produce students who score high on the SATs, an Intel semifinalist (as well as Ivy league bound seniors) for a fraction of the school taxes which are paid here. How does that happen? Magic?

A host can die if the parasite continues to divert nutrition from it. When the host is dead, the parasite might die, too. Some parasites have evolved to merely weaken the host. Which sort of parasite is the teachers union?
Biggest reason why upstate towns have all they have without the huge school tax? STATE AID ! Plain and simple.
Upstate gets more state aid than we do. Dinky little towns with no tax base have fantastic new buildings - they get the whole thing paid for practically by state building aid!

Now, I'd be interested to see how much aid they've lost upstate compared to us on LI. If our low wealth districts with no tax base are hurting right now, I wonder if upstate is too?

Old 04-18-2011, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7CatMom View Post
Biggest reason why upstate towns have all they have without the huge school tax? STATE AID ! Plain and simple.
Upstate gets more state aid than we do. Dinky little towns with no tax base have fantastic new buildings - they get the whole thing paid for practically by state building aid!

Now, I'd be interested to see how much aid they've lost upstate compared to us on LI. If our low wealth districts with no tax base are hurting right now, I wonder if upstate is too?
And that answers why teachers are paid less yet produce quality students?

Also, that doesn't explain the increase spending per pupil downstate going up at the highest rates in NY along with LI average per pupil costs are significantly higher then other areas.

Old 04-18-2011, 11:59 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,290,425 times
Quote:
CI should be freezing/reducing pay as IS a majority of public schools on the island. Its nothing but pure greed to be taking when people are losing their jobs. Reductions should be across the board from admins (sups, prins, asst, chairs) all the way down to cafeteria workers....CI is an outrage.

Its BS that we are having to deal with this; pitting neighbor against neighbor. Everyone is due a yearly raise. This state is not broke! Coumo will be re-visiting the millionaires tax as well as the corporate tax bills next year. The state CANNOT continue to cut spending w/o raising revenue.

The investment banks got us into this mess, not the Unions. What I see on these posts is nothing but green envy. Instead of yelling at each other, we should be directing our frustrations at the govt - namely the republicans and stating loudly and firmly, TAX the RICH, NOT THE MIDDLE-CLASS.

Unions are a good thing. They provide protection in the form of due-process. There is more power in numbers and every work-place should have representation. Altho, CI is unreasonable in their demands, the voters will have a voice May 17.
The investment banks aren't the ones in charge of making our property taxes on Long Island unbearable.

Old 04-18-2011, 12:00 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,290,425 times
Quote:
I'm glad you never taught my kids.
Why? Because she told the truth as she saw it? Sounds like a straight shooter to me. What's wrong with that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island