Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 03:23 PM

2 posts, read 4,597 times

Advertisements

It looks like I will be moving to Long Island for a job in Huntington Station at the end of June. Just looking for some input about where would be a place to look at living.

I'm 27, single and like to be out a lot.I am moving from Dallas so always have had a pretty active night life. I'm not expecting things to be similar in Long Island but just wondering if there is anywhere that has a bit of a music/bar scene with a younger crowd. I know NY is only across the bridge but I dont want to be doing that commute just to go out during the week. Any input much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 03:55 PM

327 posts, read 1,063,248 times
Just move to Huntington Village.. its the easiest commute and has a younger crowd.

Old 05-13-2011, 04:48 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,760,081 times
You don't mention your budget but if you can afford it, you'll be happy in Huntington like pp mentioned.

Good luck.

Old 05-13-2011, 04:49 PM

1,615 posts, read 3,579,842 times
do you have any parents with a basement?

Old 05-13-2011, 04:54 PM
GPC

1,308 posts, read 3,411,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandCitizen View Post
do you have any parents with a basement?
LOL

To the OP - If you can afford to live on Long Island at the age of 27 more power to you. Just crunch the numbers and be absolutely sure before moving.

Old 05-13-2011, 05:00 PM

2 posts, read 4,597 times
The prospective job will be in Huntington station so that would be handy. Struggling to find somewhere in Huntington/village for under 2K (jobs based on commission so dont want to go crazy on rent before I feel out what I can bring in) that will let me bring my cats. Just having a look online my best option right now looks like an appt complex in Hauppauge.

Appreciate the input guys. Any tips on specific places in LI to eat/drink?

Old 05-13-2011, 06:17 PM

257 posts, read 750,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatEric View Post
The prospective job will be in Huntington station so that would be handy. Struggling to find somewhere in Huntington/village for under 2K (jobs based on commission so dont want to go crazy on rent before I feel out what I can bring in) that will let me bring my cats. Just having a look online my best option right now looks like an appt complex in Hauppauge.

Hauppague would be a pretty far commute to Huntington, and really far from the city. 2k should get you a really nice 1br or even a 2 br somewhere closer. The cats will be your biggest obstacle in my estimation. There are not really many apartment complexes on Long Island, most apartments are residential rentals. You can check "Newsday", the local newspaper, for private listings, or a Town Crier/Penneysaver paper. You may also want to consider Babylon Village, it's almost exactly south of Huntington, on the opposite shore.

You may want to do a quick visit soon, and see if you can get a vibe for the different areas. In my opinion the North/South shore are really different.

Old 05-13-2011, 07:16 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,243,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatEric View Post

I would bet you could get a place for a single guy in or near Huntington for under $2K easily. Plenty of great restaurants all over LI, especially in the Huntington area...don't worry about that part.

I am in sales too so I know how difficult it can be to budget when a large part of your income is commission based, stay as conservative as possible in the beginning.

As for a music scene I dont think there is a huge one on LI but probably some decent stuff (I am too old to know these days). Nothing like Austin but you may be able to see some decent stuff spread around LI and more in the city. Cowboys suck!

Old 05-13-2011, 09:05 PM

2,625 posts, read 3,410,987 times
If you own a car (and who wouldn't, living in Long Island?), then driving 12-15 miles as a commute, nearly all by expressway, is NOTHING (taking maybe 20 minutes, more or less). You mentioned that you were considering HAUPPAUGE, which is approximately 12 miles from Huntington Station (according to Google Maps). If you are willing to consider driving ~12 miles **EAST** to Hauppauge from Huntington Station (and vice versa), then why not instead consider living approximately 15 miles **WEST** of Huntington Station . . . that is, in the greater GARDEN CITY - EAST GARDEN CITY - CARLE PLACE - MINEOLA - WESTBURY area (i.e., the greater Source Mall / Roosevelt Field / Nassau County governmental complexes area along greater Old Country Road area) and other nearby environs (e.g., WESTBURY VILLAGE, EAST MEADOW, et al . . . which is just immediately east [along Old Country Road] of the greater Source Mall / Roosevelt Field area and even walkable from it)? OR you can consider going just WEST of the greater Source Mall / Roosevelt Field area along Old Country Road to live in the MINEOLA - GARDEN CITY - GARDEN CITY PARK area (closer to the Winthrop University Hospital, Nassau Intermodal Center, Nassau County government center areas, et al])?

The point of suggesting those closely-clustered contiguous areas in Nassau County is that there is MUCH MUCH MUCH dining, entertainment, singles scene, shopping, recreation, etc. etc. etc., and MANY MANY MANY apartment complexes as well as legal apartments inside two- or three-family private homes, et al. And it is very well served by public transit as well (i.e., LIRR, buses, taxis to all other parts of Long Island as well as New York City). If you can find some place to live in THESE suggested areas, you will be much more content than living in a rather barren Hauppauge (i.e., barren in terms of lots of nearby, closely-clustered dining, entertainment, night life, singles scene, et al). You could consider the very nearby HUNTINGTON VILLAGE (as others suggested), though the greater GARDEN CITY - EAST GARDEN CITY - CARLE PLACE - MINEOLA - WESTBURY - EAST MEADOW area (which is a big area yet is all clustered rather close together and, besides driving around it, you really can even WALK around much of it as well) has MUCH MUCH MUCH more in the way of dining, entertainment, night life, et al than even HUNTINGTON VILLAGE can fit into its one modest-sized village.

If you want to stay in Suffolk County, besides Huntington Village, you can also consider: BABYLON VILLAGE, BAY SHORE VILLAGE, PORT JEFFERSON (somewhat of a distance from Huntington Station at 23-25 miles, though much entertainment and night life in greater downtown Port Jefferson every night of the week), and FARMINGDALE VILLAGE (the greater Main & Conklin Streets area . . . though technically in Nassau County, it is right at the Nassau/Suffolk border). All those mentioned areas have varying degrees of night life, entertainment, dining, et al.

Another Nassau County option which is even closer to Huntington Station than the greater GARDEN CITY - EAST GARDEN CITY - CARLE PLACE - MINEOLA - WESTBURY - EAST MEADOW area (being situated about 10 miles from Huntington Station) is HICKSVILLE. It is rather a mix of urban and suburban, has a mix of dining, entertainment, shopping, et al and the local government there is planning to develop downtown and the malls and shopping areas even more than it is now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island