Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2007, 02:21 PM

20 posts, read 71,578 times

Advertisements

Good Afternoon,
I was wondering if anyone had any info on Melville? I know the schools are good (Half Hollow Hills) but I don't know much about the area.

We have been looking in Garden City but you can get so much more for your money further east on the island.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2007, 03:22 PM

Location: North of the Cow Pasture and South of the Wind Turbines
856 posts, read 2,921,429 times
Melville is a big mix - there is a very large commercial business district called the 110 corridor which runs a large length of the town which is Huntington Town - I worked in Melville but really don't know too much about living there - my guess it is pretty busy and not too peaceful - 110 has really bad traffic with all the business and malls and every type of store you can name. Convenient for sure for shopping, but not quiet.

However, not sure of your budget but probably the nicest area south of 25, Jericho turnpike (also very trafficked) Is the area off 25 (not 25a) on Sweet Hollow road. It is surrounded by West Hills Park which is beautiful and when you go up that road you feel like you went back 50 years on the Island and you are 5-10 minutes from Melville and the LIE. I commuted on that road to avoid 110 and also to have a nice ride before work. If not then the Huntington, Northport areas north and near 25a are very nice, and probably a little pricier than some areas, but if your thinking Garden City then those areas shouldn't be a problem. South Huntington is also very nice and convenient to town and amenities and some fun as well.

Also if you are thinking Melville then you can go south on the Island as well, I am not really that familiar with the south shore though.
I guess it comes down to how much you want to commute which is measured in time - not distance. For instance to go from Huntington to Melville near the LIE on 110 could take me 45 minutes to go 9 miles. some thing to think about. Not on Sweet Hollow though only took 15 Also known as "Zombie road" because it twists and turns and only room for one car esp in snow.

Good luck you will probably get a lot of help here

Last edited by BovinaCowHateWindTurbines; 07-30-2007 at 03:54 PM..

Old 07-30-2007, 03:45 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,493,779 times
Are there any houses in Melville? I thought it was all business! I started my career at The Huntington Quadrangle in the late 70's there.

(just joking (barely) about no houses...remember the 110 drive-in???? My mom (recently passed away) grew up in Melville...when it was all farm land. I remember lots of farm land and that the LIE once ended there! Is Adventureland still there? I thought my wife and I saw it featured heavily on some chick-flick recently...one with Hugh Grant & Drew Barrymore...can't remember the name Music something or other?)

Old 07-30-2007, 03:52 PM

Location: North of the Cow Pasture and South of the Wind Turbines
856 posts, read 2,921,429 times
There is a lot of suburbia crammed in around that area - the last farm which was sold to commercial space developers went about 9 years ago (Reckson?) as I remember - sad to see the last farm on the LIE to go. Adventure land I thought I read something it is gone or going that was a travesty waiting to happen although have some fond memories of that slide And sorry about your Mom I know how you feel.

Last edited by BovinaCowHateWindTurbines; 07-30-2007 at 04:00 PM..

Old 07-31-2007, 07:39 AM

I'm sorry about your mother JFK, but thanks for all your opinions. I work in the Huntington Village area and my husband works in Mahattan so it would be an okay commute for both of us (but maybe not after hearing the traffic horror stories above).

It just seems insane to me that we can spend 800K and not get a great house. For that amount of money I think we should have a nice back yard and more then 1.5 bathrooms!

BTW, I love Northport but the commute would be awful for my husband. I love all the North Shore towns but the ones in Nassau are too pricey and the ones in Suffolk too far from NYC.

Old 07-31-2007, 08:03 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,493,779 times
My wife has informed that the movie was named 'Music & Lyrics' where I saw Adventureland heavily featured.

Kell...the rush hour traffic can be rough at that LIE exit (49?) I used to live in North Babylon when I commuted to Rt 110 and there were some quick back roads past Pinelawn cemetary that would get me in and out of there rather quickly. Of course, that was back in the late 70's, so I'm sure that everyone else has probably discovered them by now.

Good luck on your house hunt...it's the right time...as it is a buyer's market!

Old 07-31-2007, 08:11 AM

Thanks. I have to sell our home as well though so it all levels itself out. That 110 traffic is terrible. If I can't find a short cut I won't be able to move there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island