Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 08:28 PM

136 posts, read 492,612 times

Advertisements

Southside (Fish & Clam) is my spot in Lindenhurst.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2011, 09:13 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,683,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Personally I like the whole area; Babylon, Lindenhurst, West Babylon, West Islip, even parts of Bayshore and Amityville.
What about North Lindenhurst, North Babylon, West Bay Shore?

Old 04-17-2011, 04:31 AM

338 posts, read 777,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
No, please no!

lol...but it is, it is! many of my friends whom grew up in pequa now bought homes there.

Old 04-17-2011, 07:47 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,247,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
What about North Lindenhurst, North Babylon, West Bay Shore?
Your slipping Walter. You did not mention the Hamlet of Copiague and the Village of Brightwaters.

But yes, the whole area along Montauk Highway from Amityville to Bayshore. Some parts are beautiful and some parts are more gritty, but the differences help make the area interesting. I also like Islip, East Islip, Sayville etc but then we are talking a bit further out.

Old 04-17-2011, 08:07 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,247,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pequadude View Post
lol...but it is, it is! many of my friends whom grew up in pequa now bought homes there.
Kidding aside, Lindenhurst has always been cheaper than Massapequa, at least as far as I know. At one time, Lindenhurst still did not have sewers or even sidewalks. Why buy in a "backwards" blue collar area like Lindenhurst when Massapequa was available close by? Now the area has sewers and has some sidewalks, lol. So it is probably a good sign that some Massapequa people are moving in. Do you know anyone who moved to any of the nearby communities like West Babylon and North Babylon?

Its also true that people are really fixing up and making additions to their houses, at least in my parent's part of Lindenhurst. One interesting thing about Lindenhurst is that one block could be some nice houses, the next one could be little ranch houses, and the third one could be a varied mixture. Apparently, the area was not built up by one developer at the same time.

Old 04-17-2011, 03:07 PM

64 posts, read 194,529 times
How does it generally go, perception-wise, along that strip?

We're looking to rent most likely, it seems, and really like Babylon Village as our top choice, but inventory there is limited and were not entirely sure of the idea of SUCH a small school district (me and wife graduated from Smithtown and Ward Melville, so we're definitely products of the larger districts). We're also trying to balance being as far East as possible (wife prefers that) while not making my commute unbearable (into Times Square).

But anyway, we really hear great things about the larger "Town of Babylon" and are definitely expanding out our search a bit out of necessity...where do Lindy and West Bab fall in the "perceptions" of people, both in relation to each other as an "alternative" (not meant in a condescending way at all) to Bab Village, and to Bab Village in general? By this, I mean schools, neighborhoods, prestige, amenities, etc. We've taken drives through the area when we've been around but only so much you can see with a quick drive-thru (were at a wedding at Chateau Le Mer recently...very nice view out onto the water there).

Thanks in advance.

Old 04-17-2011, 03:24 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,171,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBS19 View Post
How does it generally go, perception-wise, along that strip?

We're looking to rent most likely, it seems, and really like Babylon Village as our top choice, but inventory there is limited and were not entirely sure of the idea of SUCH a small school district (me and wife graduated from Smithtown and Ward Melville, so we're definitely products of the larger districts). We're also trying to balance being as far East as possible (wife prefers that) while not making my commute unbearable (into Times Square).

But anyway, we really hear great things about the larger "Town of Babylon" and are definitely expanding out our search a bit out of necessity...where do Lindy and West Bab fall in the "perceptions" of people, both in relation to each other as an "alternative" (not meant in a condescending way at all) to Bab Village, and to Bab Village in general? By this, I mean schools, neighborhoods, prestige, amenities, etc. We've taken drives through the area when we've been around but only so much you can see with a quick drive-thru (were at a wedding at Chateau Le Mer recently...very nice view out onto the water there).

Thanks in advance.
IMO

Babylon Village
West Islip
West Babylon-Lindenhurst(coin flip)
Deer Park
North Babylon
Copiague

Old 04-17-2011, 04:16 PM

64 posts, read 194,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
IMO

Babylon Village
West Islip
Deer Park
North Babylon
Copiague
Biggest issue with West Islip...and someone please correct me if I am wrong cuz that could change things for us...is that its obviously no longer "Town of Babylon), so you both a) lose all those great amenities I always hear about but perhaps more importantly b) how do you commute with no station in the town? As far as I can tell, Babylon's station parking is impossible for non-residents, Lindy is Town of Bab...so would it mean going north to Deer Park? Pretty big difference between the Babylon line commute and the Ronk, both in terms of time and quality, no?

Other than that, West Islip would seem very attractive...probably has better schools than Babylon Village, no?

Old 04-17-2011, 04:16 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,683,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
IMO

Babylon Village
West Islip
Deer Park
North Babylon
Copiague
North Lindenhurst ???

Old 04-17-2011, 10:02 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,171,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBS19 View Post
Biggest issue with West Islip...and someone please correct me if I am wrong cuz that could change things for us...is that its obviously no longer "Town of Babylon), so you both a) lose all those great amenities I always hear about but perhaps more importantly b) how do you commute with no station in the town? As far as I can tell, Babylon's station parking is impossible for non-residents, Lindy is Town of Bab...so would it mean going north to Deer Park? Pretty big difference between the Babylon line commute and the Ronk, both in terms of time and quality, no?

Other than that, West Islip would seem very attractive...probably has better schools than Babylon Village, no?
You dont get Village amenities anywhere other than the Village of Babylon.

Slight advantage to WI schools.

Theres parking you can pay for or you can grab a street and walk.

They really are sister towns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island