Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 03:39 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times

Advertisements

Dear Mr. X,

A little over a year ago you purchased one of my favorite homes in the area. You paid $980,000.00 for the 5 br, 3 ba, 136 year-old home overlooking the harbor. The house had been cherished by the previous owner, who paid attention to detail and who spent her money wisely -- stablizing the structure, reinforcing it and keeping the systems up-to-date.

The sale listing:
"This Park-Like Property Sets Stage For Return To Quieter Times. Waterview From Most Rooms,Original Beamed Ceilings,Mahogany Paneling, French Doors,Hdwd.Floors.Screened-In Porch,56'Back Veranda Overlooking West Meadow Creek and Li Sound,Newer Roof,Many Structural Improvements. Large Rooms,Large Legal 3Rm.Guest Suite W/Kitchen, Fpl.Taxes W/Star $16,584. Must See To Appreciateā€¦ "

I loved this house.

When the owner announced she was putting it up for sale, I scrutinized my finances to see if I could do it. The price and the taxes were prohibitive. It would not have been prudent to make such a stretch.

You came along and loved the property located up toward the end of the road, long driveway to the house, lush lawn, fantastic westward views. The veranda was the place to be to enjoy a glass of wine and take in the sunset. What wasn't to love?

Apparently the SUNY system pays you well; $155,000 last year in addition to whatever other research patent money you have coming in. Life is good. In fact it is so good, that you can spend $980,000 for a knock down, plus costs of permits and attorneys in order to rebuild whatever it is you have planned.

I wish I had known your plans. I couldn't have stopped you as it is your land to do with as you (and the Town) see fit, but I would have liked to have gone inside and retrieved some of the architectural details -- mouldings, mantels, doors, etc., stellar woodwork of a bygone era.

Today I stood at the end of the driveway, crying, looking at the open space where once a solid, much loved home stood. It is a great location and I understand it's appeal. I hope that your plans are to rebuild something which will complement the neighboring homes and is in keeping with the historic/vintage by feel of our community.

Good luck with your project.

OBH
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2011, 04:24 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,800,048 times
OBH-
Yes, I can understand how you would have shed a few tears, I also realize that much of what is going under the wrecking ball,
is forever lost to antiquity. My grandparents had a carriage house on Brixton Rd. in Garden City. After they passed away, the house
with land was bought by a contractor who built two slick and contemporary on the half acre parcel after demolishing the house.
I remember how sad the whole family was, once the house was razed, we had great memories of the many holidays that were spent at
"Mom & Pop's" house, Mom was an art teacher at John Lewis Childs and she had made the decorating of the house, a lengthy project in
which she used her artistic talents to make it a showplace without any ostentatious or gaudy overtones.

I'm posting a picture of the house that was demolished around 1992, it had so much character! It wasn't very far from St. Paul's
School, another masterpiece that may wind-up being scabbed-out and plowed under to make way for the changing of a generation. I'd
love to be among the first to pick through the architectural and millwork treasures, if they ever choose to use the land for a development
tract. So sad to watch when history crumbles and dies, isn't it?

Attached Thumbnails
My favorite home is gone...-115-brixton.jpg  

Old 04-16-2011, 05:28 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,152,789 times
OBH, your post struck a cord.

As someone who grew up in a world/country where historic buildings were preserved if at all possible, it has always saddened me to see the destruction of "old" buildings in this country.

So my curiosity was piqued and I set out to find the listing! The sales price ended up being different than the amount you posted, so it took a bit longer, but I was determined!
The property was listed at $1,235,000 and which (according to MLS) was sold for a round $1,000,000--even though Public Records show the sales price as $980,000. Whatever.
The parcel is 1.7 acres with waterfront on West Meadow Creek and a view of Long Island Sound - privacy and serenity in a beautiful setting!

I'm posting a photo of the outside as well as what would appear to be the Living Room to give others a glimpse of some of the architectural details of this lovely home which is now only a memory . Also one of the water views...

Old 04-16-2011, 05:44 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,171,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Dear Mr. X,

A little over a year ago you purchased one of my favorite homes in the area. You paid $980,000.00 for the 5 br, 3 ba, 136 year-old home overlooking the harbor. The house had been cherished by the previous owner, who paid attention to detail and who spent her money wisely -- stablizing the structure, reinforcing it and keeping the systems up-to-date.

The sale listing:
"This Park-Like Property Sets Stage For Return To Quieter Times. Waterview From Most Rooms,Original Beamed Ceilings,Mahogany Paneling, French Doors,Hdwd.Floors.Screened-In Porch,56'Back Veranda Overlooking West Meadow Creek and Li Sound,Newer Roof,Many Structural Improvements. Large Rooms,Large Legal 3Rm.Guest Suite W/Kitchen, Fpl.Taxes W/Star $16,584. Must See To Appreciateā€¦ "

I loved this house.

When the owner announced she was putting it up for sale, I scrutinized my finances to see if I could do it. The price and the taxes were prohibitive. It would not have been prudent to make such a stretch.

You came along and loved the property located up toward the end of the road, long driveway to the house, lush lawn, fantastic westward views. The veranda was the place to be to enjoy a glass of wine and take in the sunset. What wasn't to love?

Apparently the SUNY system pays you well; $155,000 last year in addition to whatever other research patent money you have coming in. Life is good. In fact it is so good, that you can spend $980,000 for a knock down, plus costs of permits and attorneys in order to rebuild whatever it is you have planned.

I wish I had known your plans. I couldn't have stopped you as it is your land to do with as you (and the Town) see fit, but I would have liked to have gone inside and retrieved some of the architectural details -- mouldings, mantels, doors, etc., stellar woodwork of a bygone era.

Today I stood at the end of the driveway, crying, looking at the open space where once a solid, much loved home stood. It is a great location and I understand it's appeal. I hope that your plans are to rebuild something which will complement the neighboring homes and is in keeping with the historic/vintage by feel of our community.

Good luck with your project.

OBH
There goes the neighborhood.

"Theres no Island left for Islanders like we."

See you soon ; )

Crooks

Old 04-16-2011, 09:07 PM

510 posts, read 2,206,294 times
Its so sad that old homes are being knocked down so new homes that arent built as well are put up. I dont understand why history is being scrubbed out like this. Wouldnt it be better to rebuild or restore the original structure?

Old 04-17-2011, 12:15 AM

2,940 posts, read 8,322,068 times
More McMansions coming soon...

Old 04-17-2011, 06:19 AM

929 posts, read 2,068,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
OBH, your post struck a cord.

As someone who grew up in a world/country where historic buildings were preserved if at all possible, it has always saddened me to see the destruction of "old" buildings in this country.

So my curiosity was piqued and I set out to find the listing! The sales price ended up being different than the amount you posted, so it took a bit longer, but I was determined!
The property was listed at $1,235,000 and which (according to MLS) was sold for a round $1,000,000--even though Public Records show the sales price as $980,000. Whatever.
The parcel is 1.7 acres with waterfront on West Meadow Creek and a view of Long Island Sound - privacy and serenity in a beautiful setting!

I'm posting a photo of the outside as well as what would appear to be the Living Room to give others a glimpse of some of the architectural details of this lovely home which is now only a memory . Also one of the water views...
That really is too bad They just don't build them like that anymore.

Old 04-17-2011, 07:26 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,802,909 times
I love old homes like that. Just love them. They really dont build anything like that anymore. It is such a shame as in a few years people will be begging for that,

Old 04-17-2011, 07:31 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,171,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
I love old homes like that. Just love them. They really dont build anything like that anymore. It is such a shame as in a few years people will be begging for that,

Despite our National Reaganesque delusion....money can be dumb, real dumb and its not always in the hands of its best stewards.

I know someone in 3v in a "Historic" house paying nly 1600yr in taxes for over an Acre .What other incentives could the town possibly offer to protect these gems? What kind of dumb new money trash would tear something like that down.Sad for SB, if its the house I think it is, thats a tragedy.

Please get in your Land Rover go back to Great Neck(A tragedy in its own right/save the Tudors) or wherever the F they breed you.

Crooks

Old 04-17-2011, 07:47 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,745,924 times
Here;s the front.. very nice, def one of a kind. He got it cheap.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island