Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 10:47 AM

929 posts, read 2,063,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant52 View Post
Many good ideas here. I definitely appreciate the feedback. However, there are some ideas such as water parks, Disney World, etc. which would be multi year projects and are out of our economic feasibility. But we still love hearing your ideas and would like to continue to hear more.

Thanks again
The honest truth is Long Island lacks very little. The large population with disposable income and proximity to beaches and NYC mean that you are really not going to revolutionize any simplistic business. It's been tried, and if it's no longer in business then there's probably a reason for it.

A lot of the things mentioned here are nice ideas, but the novelty would wear off very quickly and leave you with a lot of debt and very little interest. I could have saved you a lot of money by referring you to my accountant who would give you his personal B-Degree. He has 3 rules when opening a business on Long Island.

Rule #1 Don't start a restaurant
Rule #2 Don't start a restaurant
Rule #3 Don't start a restaurant
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2011, 11:10 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,099,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEconomist View Post
The honest truth is Long Island lacks very little. The large population with disposable income and proximity to beaches and NYC mean that you are really not going to revolutionize any simplistic business. It's been tried, and if it's no longer in business then there's probably a reason for it.

A lot of the things mentioned here are nice ideas, but the novelty would wear off very quickly and leave you with a lot of debt and very little interest. I could have saved you a lot of money by referring you to my accountant who would give you his personal B-Degree. He has 3 rules when opening a business on Long Island.

Rule #1 Don't start a restaurant
Rule #2 Don't start a restaurant
Rule #3 Don't start a restaurant
You can't say that. A mom and pop restaurant...I probably agree. A chain...will most likely be successful for a minimum of a year and after that is what remains to be seen. Why don't you ask Chili's? I can honestly take credit for the 2 locations (south setauket, holtsville). I had visited the location in the northport area years ago after visitng many out of NY state and then had gotten into contact with their main office. I spoke with them and discussed my opinion on certain areas. I told them about the area around the smithhaven mall and by the expressway. Within a year they had expanded east and eventually the 2 were opened. I know this sounds like a stretch that i'm claiming responsibility but it's the g-d's honest truth. I just wish they would have compensated me for the information.

Old 04-24-2011, 02:01 PM

3,939 posts, read 8,952,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
You can't say that. A mom and pop restaurant...I probably agree. A chain...will most likely be successful for a minimum of a year and after that is what remains to be seen. Why don't you ask Chili's? I can honestly take credit for the 2 locations (south setauket, holtsville). I had visited the location in the northport area years ago after visitng many out of NY state and then had gotten into contact with their main office. I spoke with them and discussed my opinion on certain areas. I told them about the area around the smithhaven mall and by the expressway. Within a year they had expanded east and eventually the 2 were opened. I know this sounds like a stretch that i'm claiming responsibility but it's the g-d's honest truth. I just wish they would have compensated me for the information.
I know you want to think that you are personally responsible for opening those two locations but it's highly HIGHLY doubtful...

You'd be personally responsible if:
a. you became a franchisee and opened the stores
b.
c.
d.

Old 04-24-2011, 02:34 PM

208 posts, read 491,056 times
What Kind of Service/Product Would You Like To See on LI??

a 5 year freeze on any Development

Old 04-24-2011, 02:36 PM

62 posts, read 113,410 times
we could use a new mall. i do not feel safe goin 2 roosvlet field ne more.

Old 04-24-2011, 04:06 PM

929 posts, read 2,063,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
My accountant is referring to a mom and pop restaurant. Open a Subway, they have a 92% success rate. A business I'd like to see on Long Island? How about a dating service for guidos and guidettes

Old 04-24-2011, 04:26 PM

401 posts, read 941,816 times
A good used book store, with a nice cafe-Suffolk County.

Old 04-24-2011, 04:52 PM
Status: " You’re not getting another penny out of me" (set 10 days ago)

19,736 posts, read 20,545,943 times
Taco Bell home delivery. 24/7 of course...

Old 04-24-2011, 07:08 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,099,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
I know you want to think that you are personally responsible for opening those two locations but it's highly HIGHLY doubtful...

You'd be personally responsible if:
a. you became a franchisee and opened the stores
b.
c.
d.
You need to refer back to my comments. Chili's had many investors ready to go but they were looking for prime locations to scout. I spoke to a few corporate reps and they even told me that they didn't have any plans to come out this way. Lots of corporations have people that are ready to open franchises but they have to approve locations. The holtsville and south setauket locations WERE NOT even scouted or in discussion before I spoke with them. After I spoke with them they made their determinations. Instead of by the mall they went about 1 mile up the road to the pond path/347 area. The holtsville location was exactly where I told them; but thank you for trying to take away any credit. Did I say I put my money in and opened the stores...no!!! Read between the lines before you try to belittle someone!

Old 04-25-2011, 06:47 AM

1,609 posts, read 4,674,854 times
Fishing piers on both shores of LI Like they have in GA and Florida Privately run.The towns will never do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island