Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 01:01 PM

2,666 posts, read 7,335,335 times

Advertisements

The minimum you need is a 5 camera system....
2 in the front house wall corners looking at each other like this < >.
2 in the back of the house monitoring the sides and each of the front cameras as well. For example left back camera will monitor the left side yard and will also have the left front camera in its field of vision.
1 near the entrance at close range.

This arrangement will make sure that the robber has to get into your backyard (maybe through neighbors backyard) first to disable the 2 back cameras, then the 2 front cameras before doing anything. Like I said this is the bare minimum, and depending on the house protrusions on the front this may not even cover the entire front side. Ideally speaking 8-10 cameras will cover the entire house, obviously a lot more $$$, and yes.... no matter what you do it cannot prevent an intrusion if the robber wants to get in anyway, you would then need to replace the cameras with guns and let your good neighbors know
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 01:33 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,108,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu400 View Post
The minimum you need is a 5 camera system....
2 in the front house wall corners looking at each other like this < >.
2 in the back of the house monitoring the sides and each of the front cameras as well. For example left back camera will monitor the left side yard and will also have the left front camera in its field of vision.
1 near the entrance at close range.

This arrangement will make sure that the robber has to get into your backyard (maybe through neighbors backyard) first to disable the 2 back cameras, then the 2 front cameras before doing anything. Like I said this is the bare minimum, and depending on the house protrusions on the front this may not even cover the entire front side. Ideally speaking 8-10 cameras will cover the entire house, obviously a lot more $$$, and yes.... no matter what you do it cannot prevent an intrusion if the robber wants to get in anyway, you would then need to replace the cameras with guns and let your good neighbors know
Don't mean to be dense but unless the house is built of glass how does a rear camera "see" the front?

Old 04-11-2012, 02:11 PM

20,935 posts, read 28,414,875 times
You should also install spotlights with sensors so that if someone does enter your yard the light goes on but 9 out of 10 times it usually a cat or racoon setting it off. Put one on your garage and one on the side of your house near the driveway.

Old 04-11-2012, 03:06 PM

2,666 posts, read 7,335,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Don't mean to be dense but unless the house is built of glass how does a rear camera "see" the front?
Sorry, I meant situated in the rear wall corner, but pointing towards the front camera or in other words also monitoring the front camera.
It also means the back camera is not monitoring your backyard, but its monitoring the side of the house and sees the behind of the front camera.

Someone has said a picture says a 1000 words....

Old 04-11-2012, 03:27 PM

418 posts, read 1,069,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ar1458 View Post
With crime on a rise and crimes getting caught on camera , I think it is time for me to install one at home but WHAT TO BUY ?? I am looking to DIY but need some recommendation of some brands with Infared night vision and where to buy...I will be hooking this up to my home computer ..any help please ..
After some thefts, I put video surveillance in the lab / at work - that's an example of DIY project.
Using cheap web cams (<$10 each) with USB connection, free motion-detection software "iSpy Connect" (it's free source) and some old retired computers. IR small cameras may be a bit more expensive if you deal with area that is not illuminated.
iSpy is relatively easy to set up - it will keep records (snapshots when motion-activated) for a pre-specified period of time (week, month) for you to review. It also offers remote access via mobile devices for $5/month, if you want.

Laws for surveillance vary by state.
I checked NY state law at the time - it explicitly prohibits sound recordings, but allows video recordings as long as there are clear signs that the place is under video surveillance. So, we put signs up.

Not sure if the requirement for putting signs up extends to private residences but it's possible. For example, the mailman may not want to be recorded without their knowledge. To be safe - may need warning signs.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:20 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,244,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIMA View Post
You should keep them like that 10 feet or lower, but not below 6', the thing with cameras is you need to have multiple so none can be snuck up on and or moved or just past, which means you need MANY cameras. . . you may need 4 in the front depending with them pointed like this < > < > and on the sides and the back.

Otherwise you have areas that aren't covered and BANG you get robbed.

The 4 camera system you have leaves your house open at other ends for entering, you need atleast 10 cameras.

If you do the front like this < > they walk up the middle, if you do the cams like this > < at each corner they go to the corner.

You usually need 4 cams at each side of the house with a door and along the sides you should have 2 looking toward each other to watch the windows, then if you set the 4 up like i said at the front and back door entrances < > < > the sides can't be snuck up on which would be like this > < since the 4 cams at front and rear would also watch that area.

BUT, now paint balls and pellet guns will handle the issue of getting to them, so you should buy these Hi-Res 60 Feet IR 2.8 mm-11 mm Varifocal Outdoor Dome Security Camera or these 2.8mm-11mm Vandal-Proof Dome Camera in the house you should use similar

The only issue i know about a LAW is you need to have a sign saying the area is recorded / monitored by cameras

Usually the cheaper the camera system the less they can see, cameras that can't see until you're within 30' leave lots of areas to sneak around them

I use a 24 camera setup - you can never be too safe.

Old 04-12-2012, 06:21 AM

999 posts, read 2,357,562 times
I only use them across the front to monitor any pricks that want to drive by and just toss there garbage out, this way i get the car or people.
Otherwise if you want to deal with 3 BM pulling you apart while i point my 30-338 mag and shoot you so you don't live thru what they do to you come on in.
That's my security

Old 04-25-2012, 05:43 AM

49 posts, read 96,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo_michael View Post
Only 7.5 feet? At that height I could easily reach the camera and turn it...

I just ordered the 4 camera Night Owl System with a 500GB DVR. Tigerdirect had them cheaper than amazon. I am going to mount them under the eaves of the house which is about 10ft. I felt the motion activated recording with real-time email alerts (with snapshots) was a nice feature to have. I don't really care about night vision since the areas are well lit at night anyway, but I thought it's a nice feature to have JIC.
by the time they reach the camera's, their face will be crystal clear. I have the cameras backing each other up so you cannot sneak up on them before getting caught. They can knock the cameras off, but I will see who they are before doing so. Then the police or myself can find whoever it is and deal with them accordingly.

Bring the camera 10 feet high and then move it 7.5 feet high. Its only 3 feet but at night time, makes a hell of a difference. Try it. you'll see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island