Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 10:13 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,815,274 times

Advertisements

You think you are entitled to 2x the mean average pay, an early retirement, a cushy pension, and gold-plated health care for life because you put your "life on the line"? Where is the evidence that you put "your life on the line"? Statistically, the actual hard numbers show that police work isn't really all that dangerous compared to other occupations, and especially when you compare it to real dangerous jobs like fisherman, miners, and gas station attendants. None of these people get the cushy benefits that you arrogantly feel you are entitled to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2011, 10:14 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gem301 View Post
Petty you don't say. Well for starters my specific union allowed the city to borrow from it's pension fund to bail the city out of it's financial crisis. Might I add to the sum of 130 million . The city agreed to repay this with perks to the pension plan. My contract when I decided to take my low paying civil service job meant I was entitled to a 20 yr pension and health care. My health care is not free. We contribute and pay co-payments. Depending on which plan you have the prices can range . Some cheap and some not. We can't continue to ignore that certain policies and the deregulation of some practices on wall street have not had an impact. I make an honest living and by no means am I wealthy. I as well as my other law enforcement city comrades are entitled to a far and equitable wage. We put our lives on the line. All new recruits are now not able to receive three quarters disability pay, unable to contribute extra to pensions ,must work until the 25 year of service in order to receive 50percent of they're pension as well as 10 vacation days down from 20 for the first Five years of service. Oh yeah I forgot no pension loans as well and a whole host of other concessions with medical and dental. So please don't lump everyone in that bag.
Which law enforcement entity do you work for and what is your "low paying civil service job"? The phrases "low paying" and "law enforcement" do not go together in this area.

Good. There's nothing more disgusting than the "disabled" out playing golf on 75% tax-free disability pensions ... plus, that's not enough for them ... they sign up their broods of kids for Federal SSI checks.

Old 04-29-2011, 12:52 PM

113 posts, read 129,520 times
Default Blackmail to Middle country residents ?

New York, Long Island Taxes: Middle Country's budget, blackmail for 2011-2012

Old 04-29-2011, 01:07 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,520,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
You think you are entitled to 2x the mean average pay, an early retirement, a cushy pension, and gold-plated health care for life because you put your "life on the line"? Where is the evidence that you put "your life on the line"? Statistically, the actual hard numbers show that police work isn't really all that dangerous compared to other occupations, and especially when you compare it to real dangerous jobs like fisherman, miners, and gas station attendants. None of these people get the cushy benefits that you arrogantly feel you are entitled to.
Entitled nothing. That's what he was promised by the government pursuant to contract. If you want to change that going forward, fine, but that doesn't mean you screw over those who are entitled to payment under the terms of a written agreement.

Incidentally, he's more "entitled" to those benefits for being a cop than the CEOs of major financial institutions that nearly bankrupted their companies (and did bankrupt many people and companies worldwide), got government bailout money, and then left with 8-figure golden parachutes on the taxpayer dime. Police and teacher salaries on Long Island are out of control but the amount of angst directed at unions is way out of proportion to the harm they cause compared to the grander criminals.

Old 04-29-2011, 02:27 PM

80 posts, read 121,616 times
Thank you Interlude. I will caution again and say that we all don't receive cushy pensions. To be quite honest New York City's salary's are about 30,000 dollars behind our Nassau and Suffolk counterparts. Look it up if you don't believe me. My pension is based on my last three years or my best year of employment. I receive half of that. Trust me my pension will not be enough to sustain me or my family for the rest of my life. I will seek other employment possibly something I love to do. I intend on downsizing and selling my property . Yes I intend to take the pension I'm rightfully entitled to somewhere less expensive. Everyday I put my uniform on I pray I make it home to my family. I don't know what you're definition is of dangerous but I think that analogy should spell it out. Until you have walked In the shoes of other law enforcement officers I think you should reserve you're negative comments. We all don't sit in cars and eat donuts. Ny789987

Old 04-29-2011, 02:40 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gem301 View Post
Thank you Interlude. I will caution again and say that we all don't receive cushy pensions. To be quite honest New York City's salary's are about 30,000 dollars behind our Nassau and Suffolk counterparts. Look it up if you don't believe me. My pension is based on my last three years or my best year of employment. I receive half of that. Trust me my pension will not be enough to sustain me or my family for the rest of my life. I will seek other employment possibly something I love to do. I intend on downsizing and selling my property . Yes I intend to take the pension I'm rightfully entitled to somewhere less expensive. Everyday I put my uniform on I pray I make it home to my family. I don't know what you're definition is of dangerous but I think that analogy should spell it out. Until you have walked In the shoes of other law enforcement officers I think you should reserve you're negative comments. We all don't sit in cars and eat donuts. Ny789987
Depending on where you are stationed, being a NYC cop is not a cakewalk, I'd never deny that. However, for the level of education needed, the pension and benefits guaranteed to you are VERY lucrative comparative to what you'd get in the public sector with similar qualifications..VERY. Likewise with FDNY...these are jobs with a definite risk, but they are also jobs that give huge amounts of time off, unheard of benefits, and respectable salaries...which is why there is not a shortage of applicants despite the inherent risks.

As for the disability scams..I know someone who was pulling this scam as far back as I can remember. An NYPD officer for a think 7 years who collected disabilty for decades after a tussle with a hood. A disability that didn't stop him from playing softball and moving furniture. I can't believe he got away with it for so long. Similar to the LIRR pension scam, this stuff was very commonplace years back.

Old 04-29-2011, 02:42 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Depending on where you are stationed, being a NYC cop is not a cakewalk, I'd never deny that. However, for the level of education needed, the pension and benefits guaranteed to you are VERY lucrative comparative to what you'd get in the public sector with similar qualifications..VERY. Likewise with FDNY...these are jobs with a definite risk, but they are also jobs that give huge amounts of time off, unheard of benefits, and respectable salaries...which is why there is not a shortage of applicants despite the inherent risks.

As for the disability scams..I know someone who was pulling this scam as far back as I can remember. An NYPD officer for a think 7 years who collected disabilty for decades after a tussle with a hood. A disability that didn't stop him from playing softball and moving furniture. I can't believe he got away with it for so long. Similar to the LIRR pension scam, this stuff was very commonplace years back.
Does that mean he got "caught" and was kicked off disability or does that mean he collected it until he died and is no longer with us?

I think the LTD should be like it is for other people ... if you can work a different, less physically taxing job then you should have to do it. That's what people in the private sector (such as people who are on Workers' Comp) have to do.

Old 04-29-2011, 05:02 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,815,274 times
It's not all sitting in the cruiser and eating donuts, but statistically speaking being a police officer is NOT dangerous when you compare it to many other occupations. Statistics bear this out. Fishermen, miners, coal workers to name a few do put their lives on the line, but they don't get to retire at 55 on a fully funded, tax payer guaranteed lottery payday bloated pension with gold plated health care for life.

These "putting their lives on the line" and "its for the children" mantras that people reflexively buy into without reflecting on actual facts is what is going to eventually bankrupt Long Island and NYS and turn this area into a third world looking Detroit.

Old 04-29-2011, 09:03 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,249,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
It's not all sitting in the cruiser and eating donuts, but statistically speaking being a police officer is NOT dangerous when you compare it to many other occupations. Statistics bear this out. Fishermen, miners, coal workers to name a few do put their lives on the line, but they don't get to retire at 55 on a fully funded, tax payer guaranteed lottery payday bloated pension with gold plated health care for life.

These "putting their lives on the line" and "its for the children" mantras that people reflexively buy into without reflecting on actual facts is what is going to eventually bankrupt Long Island and NYS and turn this area into a third world looking Detroit.
If more Police Officers actually retired at age 55 (or older), it would probably be a big savings for tax payers. Many retire in their early 50s or even their 40s (!!!). I work at a bank with retirement accounts and one thing I noticed is how much younger public employees* usually retire than private employees.

* Not just police officers

Old 04-30-2011, 05:51 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,933,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmlyBklyn View Post
Where are the taxes 7K in Suffolk county? That must include STAR - otherwise, I'd venture to say they are higher than that.
We are in Suffolk and our taxes are under $6000 now after grieving and winning several times. We started out at $8000 in 2006. We have a big house on a 1/4 acre.
While there are some areas in Suffolk with out of control taxes, like my Dad's condo in Northport-$24,000 per year, overall eastern Suffolk taxes(especially the Hamptons) are much lower than Nassau.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island