Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 02:45 PM

449 posts, read 1,132,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonPhishn View Post
As I say to my employees who complain about work... the door is always open.
Yep I'm moving over the summer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 02:50 PM

400 posts, read 738,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
We walked from Robert Moses State park all the way to Saltaire and back.
By the way, this looks like a lot of fun. I never thought of doing this.

Old 04-29-2011, 08:09 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,712,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEconomist View Post
I would say the opposite. Long Island is a great place to live, I wouldn't want to visit. There's so much to do, but it's all so scattered and poorly advertised. Unless you lived here you wouldn't know about a lot of things.
My favorite is Connetquot State Park, a blue ribbon fly fishing spot within an hour's drive from Manhattan. Can't beat it.
I agree with your post. There is plenty to do scattered all over; tourism signage appears as an afterthought.

My family has spent countless hours ff @ CSP. Caleb Smith is good, too.

Old 04-29-2011, 04:58 PM

149 posts, read 345,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetties View Post
Sorry to hear that. I am not a public unionized employee, my wife stays at home with my kids and I am not independently wealthy (and my parents aren't either). I live in a middle class area and have plenty of time to enjoy the beach and spend time with my family. There are others like me out there.

Like me..................I stay home with the kids and my husband works.....we are middle class also and looking forward to a great summer !!!

Old 06-02-2011, 09:25 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,559,582 times
so we had need to return to LI this past week. This time it was Huntington. We ate at Ariana's Cafe in the village center, took a walk, and picked up our DD at her friend's house, and spoke to the friend's parents. It seemed really lovely, pretty but not pretentious houses, hills, bay views, walkable village center, lots of interesting shops and restaurants almost all independent. I am guessing the main disadvantage of living there is the long commute to NYC. The cafe's early bird special went till 6:30, which was handy for us (on vacation) but a sign of folks getting home late, I guess.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:44 AM

372 posts, read 740,532 times
As a young person, I like LI just fine. If you are slightly ambitious and spend more time working on improving yourself instead of complaining then you'd probably make more money and have more time to enjoy LI.

Old 06-02-2011, 10:56 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,141,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
We stayed with some friends for the passover holiday last week - in addition to seders, and attending services at the lovely Temple Israel of Great Neck, we also took a nice long walk around town, to the grist mill, the Merch Marine Academy (great views of the Sound) and to the main drag (I WISH our suburbs in NoVa had such walkable downtowns - not to mention so many kosher restaurants )

Before heading to family in Brooklyn, we did a little cold weather beach trip. We walked from Robert Moses State park all the way to Saltaire and back - FI was beautiful as always. We also drove through some of the south shore towns to get picnic lunch fixings - babylon, West islip, etc - they looked quite attractive.
Like most regions, Long Island has a few shady areas but mostly decent spots. My wife is originally from Brooklyn, i'm originally from Queens, and my parents were both from the Bronx; but when we all moved to Long Island we grew to love it. I couldn't think of a better place for me and my family and we made the mistake of checking other areas over the years. We're here for good.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:53 PM

414 posts, read 302,977 times
short of Mississippi, i can not think of a worse place in this country. high taxes, rude people, cancer, traffic, awful attitudes, each ethnicity living up to the worst of their stereotypes, crass materialistic people, overpriced housing, air pollution, insular mindset.

however, don't take my word for it. just read this forum for LI expats bashing the place and people who want to leave. i read quite a few forums on here, i have never seen the self loathing that LI has.

sorry, this is the first troll post i have ever made in my life. couldn't help it

Old 06-02-2011, 09:21 PM

208 posts, read 492,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NS4Life View Post
short of Mississippi, i can not think of a worse place in this country. high taxes, rude people, cancer, traffic, awful attitudes, each ethnicity living up to the worst of their stereotypes, crass materialistic people, overpriced housing, air pollution, insular mindset.

however, don't take my word for it. just read this forum for LI expats bashing the place and people who want to leave. i read quite a few forums on here, i have never seen the self loathing that LI has.

sorry, this is the first troll post i have ever made in my life. couldn't help it
i Agree i dislike it to but i can add a few places that are worse
Belive it or not

san antonio Texas
all of california
manhattan (ok to visit But i Will Never ever move their)

Only reason Im Here is because My Dad Loves the Money
I will Trade For a Less Populated area Anyday over Money.
Not a Place that Puts 200 Houses on 1 Short Block

Old 06-02-2011, 10:04 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,799,846 times
I suppose that if you lived in Falluja, even Baghdad would be looking good. Home should always be the place to hang your hat and not to swat a rat.
Long Island is a state of mind and of heart for those of us who've spent our lifetime here. My next big move will be to Calverton. The national cemetery...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island