Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 03:16 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,559,582 times

Advertisements

We stayed with some friends for the passover holiday last week - in addition to seders, and attending services at the lovely Temple Israel of Great Neck, we also took a nice long walk around town, to the grist mill, the Merch Marine Academy (great views of the Sound) and to the main drag (I WISH our suburbs in NoVa had such walkable downtowns - not to mention so many kosher restaurants )

Before heading to family in Brooklyn, we did a little cold weather beach trip. We walked from Robert Moses State park all the way to Saltaire and back - FI was beautiful as always. We also drove through some of the south shore towns to get picnic lunch fixings - babylon, West islip, etc - they looked quite attractive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2011, 03:19 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,814,853 times
If you are independently wealthy or you work as a public unionized employee, Long Island is GREAT. If not, you either live in those "other" parts of Long Island that you didn't have time to visit, or you work so many hours you would be too tired or strung out for walks on the beach.

Old 04-27-2011, 04:27 PM

764 posts, read 1,553,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
If you are independently wealthy or you work as a public unionized employee, Long Island is GREAT. If not, you either live in those "other" parts of Long Island that you didn't have time to visit, or you work so many hours you would be too tired or strung out for walks on the beach.

Most public Unionized employees dont make as much as you think. Both of my parents are suffolk county employees and only make $40k EACH.

So people should stop bashing civil service employees. The management of any company makes a ton more then the lower people. NOT just civil service.

PS the problem with long island is its in the middle of a change in what kidn of businesses are here, and if you are not in the businesses that are coming in you will have problems finding a job.

Old 04-27-2011, 04:48 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,300,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post
Most public Unionized employees dont make as much as you think. Both of my parents are suffolk county employees and only make $40k EACH.

So people should stop bashing civil service employees. The management of any company makes a ton more then the lower people. NOT just civil service.

PS the problem with long island is its in the middle of a change in what kidn of businesses are here, and if you are not in the businesses that are coming in you will have problems finding a job.
Should we all be in retail and fast food?

Old 04-27-2011, 04:49 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,300,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
We stayed with some friends for the passover holiday last week - in addition to seders, and attending services at the lovely Temple Israel of Great Neck, we also took a nice long walk around town, to the grist mill, the Merch Marine Academy (great views of the Sound) and to the main drag (I WISH our suburbs in NoVa had such walkable downtowns - not to mention so many kosher restaurants )

Before heading to family in Brooklyn, we did a little cold weather beach trip. We walked from Robert Moses State park all the way to Saltaire and back - FI was beautiful as always. We also drove through some of the south shore towns to get picnic lunch fixings - babylon, West islip, etc - they looked quite attractive.
TY very much for the compliments to LI! It's nice to hear something positive from an expat.

Old 04-27-2011, 04:59 PM

449 posts, read 1,132,444 times
LI is like south Florida-lovely vacation spot, horrible place to live. Yes we have good beached, new england atmospheres on the north shore, but the summers are humid, and of course we have an average housing price not too far below SAnFran. I hate it here, but if I was from outside I could see myself loving to visit here.

Old 04-27-2011, 05:06 PM

764 posts, read 1,553,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Should we all be in retail and fast food?
No just look at the canon headquaters coming in. There are some other businesses either expanding their headquaters here on long island or building new headquaters here.

IF your not in business or computers with a 4 year college degree you will not make it here on long island.

PS before anyone complains when i gradutaed from My 4 year degree i had no problem getting a job here.

Old 04-27-2011, 05:11 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,244,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
Sorry to hear that. I am not a public unionized employee, my wife stays at home with my kids and I am not independently wealthy (and my parents aren't either). I live in a middle class area and have plenty of time to enjoy the beach and spend time with my family. There are others like me out there.

Old 04-27-2011, 05:45 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,144,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post

That walk to Saltaire is one I've made many times over the years and I miss being able to just do it when I want. Long Island is a really wonderful place saddled with some baggage, but that doesn't take away from all the good things about it.

Old 04-27-2011, 05:46 PM

929 posts, read 2,068,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor123 View Post
LI is like south Florida-lovely vacation spot, horrible place to live. Yes we have good beached, new england atmospheres on the north shore, but the summers are humid, and of course we have an average housing price not too far below SAnFran. I hate it here, but if I was from outside I could see myself loving to visit here.
I would say the opposite. Long Island is a great place to live, I wouldn't want to visit. There's so much to do, but it's all so scattered and poorly advertised. Unless you lived here you wouldn't know about a lot of things.
My favorite is Connetquot State Park, a blue ribbon fly fishing spot within an hour's drive from Manhattan. Can't beat it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island