Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2011, 04:04 PM

1 posts, read 1,854 times

Advertisements

Hi! My husband and I are looking at a house in Oceanside that according to it's listing needs major renovations. We are seeing it in person this weekend to access how much really needs to be done. I can tell just from the pictures the kitchen and both bathrooms need to be redone, the rest seems to be cosmetic things.

I have tried looking on the Town of Hempstead website and have gotten very confused as to whether or not we need permits. We would probably do a lot of work ourselves with the help of our parents but from what I am reading that might not be possible. Has anyone under taken something like this; what type of permits did you need and did the rules end up becoming cost prohibative?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2011, 08:13 AM

510 posts, read 2,206,294 times
If you are changing existing fixtures and not doing anything new to the structure of the home, then I believe you do not need to file for a Permit. If you make any additions then you do - like adding a bathroom or moving plumbing.

Old 04-29-2011, 09:53 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
You're supposed to get permits before you move anything around like plumbing but nobody would ever have any way of knowing that you did that. If you want to expand the house you'll need a permit.

Old 04-29-2011, 09:57 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,973,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankee05 View Post
Hi! My husband and I are looking at a house in Oceanside that according to it's listing needs major renovations. We are seeing it in person this weekend to access how much really needs to be done. I can tell just from the pictures the kitchen and both bathrooms need to be redone, the rest seems to be cosmetic things.

I have tried looking on the Town of Hempstead website and have gotten very confused as to whether or not we need permits. We would probably do a lot of work ourselves with the help of our parents but from what I am reading that might not be possible. Has anyone under taken something like this; what type of permits did you need and did the rules end up becoming cost prohibative?

Thanks!
In case you were wondering, Oceanside is one of those many places that causes much confusion to the one or two people who care. Many people think that Oceanside (and many other places) is in Canada, when actually it is in the United States of America, which is displayed below.

Old 04-30-2011, 11:01 AM

1,214 posts, read 3,643,604 times
Do yourself a favor and hire an engineer to inspect the property. They will find things you wouldn't even think to look for. Might as well know the entire story before getting involved. There may be a lot more to renovate than just the kitchen and bathrooms - possible cracks in the foundation, wall leaks leading to mold, ivy growing inside walls, inadequate heating, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island