Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 05:13 PM

745 posts, read 1,504,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Attendance zones are established and changed by a majority vote of the school board.

In North Merrick the superintendent can use his discretion and send your children to a different school than you *should* be attending based on enrollment in said school. There are at least ten families that I know of who live within walking distance of Camp Ave yet attend Old Mill Rd due to overcrowding at Camp. A simple call to the superintendent office cofirms this fact if you feel so nclined Walter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2011, 05:24 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephM View Post
In North Merrick the superintendent can use his discretion and send your children to a different school than you *should* be attending based on enrollment in said school. There are at least ten families that I know of who live within walking distance of Camp Ave yet attend Old Mill Rd due to overcrowding at Camp. A simple call to the superintendent office cofirms this fact if you feel so nclined Walter.
With permisssion of the school board?

Old 11-03-2011, 09:24 AM

13 posts, read 48,881 times
I believe StephM is correct, when I called the N. Merrick school district looking to confirm zoning for certain schools they all lay out a big disclaimer that it is at the discretion of the superintendent and can change from year to year.

Seriously no bussing? That's odd, no?

One of the houses we are looking at in Wenshaw Park is in N. Bellmore schools. Anyone have an opinion on those schools v. N. Merrick? Also, anyone know where I can find a district map that would break down the dividing lines for N. Merrick, Merrick and N. Bellmore schools? Thanks.

Old 11-03-2011, 10:41 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandog View Post
Also, anyone know where I can find a district map that would break down the dividing lines for N. Merrick, Merrick and N. Bellmore schools? Thanks.
Commercial maps of Nassau County, such as Hagstrom, show municipal (city, town and village) borders as well as school district and ZIP Code postal zone, but not hamlet, borders.

Among other things, the Census Bureau's online address search function ( http://factfinder2.census.gov/faces/nav/jsf/pages/searchresults.xhtml?ref=geo&refresh=t - broken link) also indicates in which school district an address is located.

Old 11-03-2011, 11:22 AM

745 posts, read 1,504,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandog View Post
I believe StephM is correct, when I called the N. Merrick school district looking to confirm zoning for certain schools they all lay out a big disclaimer that it is at the discretion of the superintendent and can change from year to year.

Seriously no bussing? That's odd, no?

One of the houses we are looking at in Wenshaw Park is in N. Bellmore schools. Anyone have an opinion on those schools v. N. Merrick? Also, anyone know where I can find a district map that would break down the dividing lines for N. Merrick, Merrick and N. Bellmore schools? Thanks.

The no bussing can be a big PITA, but on the upside you get to interact with the parent and teachers daily. There is also a small town feel and a real sense of community.

North bellmore has good schools as well, but I know recently they proposed implementing the Princeton Plan to close their budget deficit and a lot of parents were not happy. Now they are considering eliminating bussing as well.

Old 11-03-2011, 11:45 AM

Thanks Walter and StephM. After StephM mentioned it I looked into the issue on line and I saw an article in the Herald about what you mentioned re: school closing etc. This is somewhat concerning.

On another note, what can anyone tell me about the parking situation at the LIRR in Merrick? I read that it is a real problem after 8AM - is this true? Anyone have firsthand experience? I also read that there is a movement to institute resident parking permits - does it have any legs?

Old 11-03-2011, 11:53 AM

FYI - found this as a good way to research school district boundaries with a map on line - School District Map

Old 04-02-2012, 06:22 AM

9 posts, read 24,444 times
I don't know if it's too late to respond to this forum, but I can say that Briarcliff and Wenshaw Park are both wonderful neighborhoods. Having said that, some people feel Mepham High School is less desirable than Calhoun and some parts of Wenshaw Park are zoned for Mepham. As far as determining the borders, it is tricky, but a listing that says school district 4 is Mepham HS, district 29 is Calhoun. Half of District 25 is also Calhoun, and the other (southern) half is JFK. That was a tricky thing for us to figure out as well.

As far as train parking permits, I haven't heard anything. The train station lots are owned by the Town of Hempstead though, so I doubt a permit system is forthcoming.

And about the busing - there is none unless you're more than a mile from the school, which is pretty unusual in Merrick or North Merrick.

Old 11-04-2016, 07:09 AM

7 posts, read 9,580 times
Is there any up-to-date information about Calhoun vs. Mepham? I'm looking at homes in Merrick, and trying to discern any significant differences.
Also, what's a good website to review schools? My realtor refers me to great schools, which I find a misnomer because whatever scant information exists is out-dated and not useful.
TIA

Old 11-04-2016, 07:37 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,517,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuzzwerb View Post
Is there any up-to-date information about Calhoun vs. Mepham? I'm looking at homes in Merrick, and trying to discern any significant differences.
Also, what's a good website to review schools? My realtor refers me to great schools, which I find a misnomer because whatever scant information exists is out-dated and not useful.
TIA
Calhoun and Mepham are equivalent in quality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island