U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 01:13 PM

3 posts, read 4,152 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

This is my first post so please forgive any forum faux-pas I might make.
I currently live in Cleveland Heights, OH with my wife and our soon-to-be 3 year old son. I may be taking a job based in Mineola, NY that would require us to relocate. We have next to no knowledge of the Long Island area and should I be offered this job I am going to have to make some pretty snappy decisions on whether I can afford to take the job and where we should consider moving to.

First and foremost I am looking for any recommendations for a family that needs:

To be within a 45 minute commute of Mineola, ideally by train.

A good public school system

A friendly and safe community where one doesn’t have always have to drive everywhere to go shopping/dinning etc.

A reasonable 3+ bed home in the $300-$400k range

A village/town/city this is not completely homogenous, bulldog-chewing-a-wasp-ugly and has some character

My wife says she is looking for her “Star’s Hollow” which will only mean something to those of you that used to watch The Gilmour Girls.

I also have some other questions (I know I am pushing my luck already here…)

What is this “Star Program” with homes about? We keep seeing it on realtor listings but haven’t been able to make an awful lot of sense of it.

What advice would you give to a family moving into the area?

Where’s the good craft beer?

ANY help at all would be much appreciated. This is a big decision for us.

Cheers,
SmiTTTen
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2011, 02:05 PM

2,942 posts, read 5,760,103 times
Without being too nosy, give us an income range to work with. We ask because you don't want to move into a neighborhood that is income poor/rich based on your lifestyle. You could find a place in Wyandanch, but you really don't want to move there (at least most would not) if you had a choice.

Old 05-06-2011, 02:19 PM

6,074 posts, read 12,213,058 times
Oh here we go...how long before the "dont move here, LI sucks" posts take over?

Old 05-06-2011, 02:28 PM

9,341 posts, read 28,286,739 times
Default In case you are unfamiliar with the local geography

smittten, in case you are unfamiliar with the local geography, I've sent you an explanation of the very, very confusing geography of "Lawn Guyland" as a DM (Direct Message).

Old 05-06-2011, 02:44 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,698,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittten View Post
Hello everyone,

I currently live in Cleveland Heights, OH with my wife and our soon-to-be 3 year old son. I may be taking a job based in Mineola, NY that would require us to relocate. We have next to no knowledge of the Long Island area and should I be offered this job I am going to have to make some pretty snappy decisions on whether I can afford to take the job and where we should consider moving to.

First and foremost I am looking for any recommendations for a family that needs:

A friendly and safe community where one doesn’t have always have to drive everywhere to go shopping/dinning etc.

A village/town/city this is not completely homogenous, bulldog-chewing-a-wasp-ugly and has some character

My wife says she is looking for her “Star’s Hollow” which will only mean something to those of you that used to watch The Gilmour Girls.

What is this “Star Program” with homes about? We keep seeing it on realtor listings but haven’t been able to make an awful lot of sense of it.

Cheers,
SmiTTTen
Don't move here, you will regret it! From one former Great Lakes city (different from yours) native to another Quality of life is really bad here, traffic, congestion, attitude and cost isn't worth it for households earning less than 150K.

If you want to live in
"A village/town/city this is not completely homogenous, bulldog-chewing-a-wasp-ugly and has some character"

You are not going to be able to afford it in Nassau County! Levittown is the only place you have a prayer of getting a 3+ bedroom home for 300K-400K in a good school district and it is the opposite of what you are looking for.

Trust me, DONT DO IT!!!!

Old 05-06-2011, 04:09 PM
gag

683 posts, read 1,349,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittten View Post
Hello everyone,

Cheers,
SmiTTTen
A couple of real suggestions about LI. Rent now, and don't rush into buying. Maybe the job will suck and you'll be stuck. If it doesn't, take your sweet time checking all the nice places you may want to call home. I lived in Cleveland for a few years, and it's very different here. It's a big move, and put time on your side. With unemployment still high, housing on LI won't push higher any time soon. There should be some rentals near Mineola or within a short driving distance. Don't know about trains to/from there. You gotta do what you gotta do. JM2C

Old 05-06-2011, 05:39 PM

257 posts, read 715,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port North View Post
Don't move here, you will regret it! From one former Great Lakes city (different from yours) native to another Quality of life is really bad here, traffic, congestion, attitude and cost isn't worth it for households earning less than 150K.

If you want to live in
"A village/town/city this is not completely homogenous, bulldog-chewing-a-wasp-ugly and has some character"

You are not going to be able to afford it in Nassau County! Levittown is the only place you have a prayer of getting a 3+ bedroom home for 300K-400K in a good school district and it is the opposite of what you are looking for.

Trust me, DONT DO IT!!!!
Yes, it is very expensive to live here. So I would have to agree if your household income is not at least 125k, it's not worth it. That being said, you can certainly get a nice (perhaps modest, but still nice) home in a great neighborhood for under 400k. WE ARE LOOKING TO RELOCATE and just had our realtor give us an estimate of 370-380 for our house in Wantagh with 4brs and 2 ba, cape cod....fully renovated that should give you a ballpark figure.

Everyone gets the star exemption, you just need to apply.

Old 05-06-2011, 06:10 PM

179 posts, read 473,206 times
we too are moving to the area - so i've been keeping an eye on this board daily!
i'd love any input on gifted students opportunities as i'm seeing it doesn't start (at most schools on LI) until spring of 3rd grade. (this is crazy! i've got a kinder who would be completely lost without the extra challenge!)
i'm willing to commute to the garden city area if i can find a good elementary school in a safe neighborhood for around $3500 a month.
suggestions?

Old 05-06-2011, 06:13 PM

1 posts, read 1,433 times
Welcome to Mineola. I live and work in Mineola and I love the neighborhood. This is mixed neighbor with Irish, Italian, Portuguese and Brazilians and some Asians. Most of the houses are old though, some are 80 years old. If you want a good neighborhood with decent house price, you might want to try New Hyde Park, Syosset, Plainview, Westbury, Glen Cove, or Oyster Bay. If you don't mind long commute, you can also try Suffolk country. Smithtown, Commack, Northport, or Melville. There are plenty of house in Nassau and Suffolk now. It's easy to buy one but very tough to sell due to economy. You might want to rent for a year in Mineola and get to know the Island before you make a decision. Rent for 3 bedroom in Mineola or Garden City goes for around 1700 plus utility.
Many blessings for you and your family.

Old 05-06-2011, 09:05 PM

3 posts, read 4,152 times
Thanks the suggestions so far.

Walter: Thank you for your message. The wife and I will go through that tomorrow.

As for the "Don't move here crew" - please don't bother commenting any further. Sorry if this offends anyone but I am a member of several boards and am well aware of the scratched-record syndrome that seems to exist on every forum.

Thanks again and more suggestions please!

SmiTTTen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island