Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 04:18 PM

449 posts, read 1,132,058 times

Advertisements

I saw a simpsons episode once when a character was saying she "had to be in mineola soon", not mentioning what state it was in or any hints to where it was. the people that created the simpsons are from Portland-how in the world do they know about Mineola if its not easily recognized by a lot of people. but then again maybe a writer of the show was from there or somethig...exuse my stupid, simpsons thinking. back on topic, how are my other comparisons? and what ctites could the folowwing be: Massapequa, Seaford, Montauk, Riverhead, Farmingdale???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2011, 04:20 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,243,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor123 View Post
I saw a simpsons episode once when a character was saying she "had to be in mineola soon", not mentioning what state it was in or any hints to where it was. the people that created the simpsons are from Portland-how in the world do they know about Mineola if its not easily recognized by a lot of people. but then again maybe a writer of the show was from there or somethig...exuse my stupid, simpsons thinking. back on topic, how are my other comparisons? and what ctites could the folowwing be: Massapequa, Seaford, Montauk, Riverhead, Farmingdale???
Oh, it makes sense now.

Old 05-06-2011, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetties View Post
Oh, it makes sense now.
lol i always overanalyze things

Old 05-06-2011, 04:39 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,327,789 times
Quote:
Massapequa= Bloomington, MN. (both are mostly homogenous middle class communities with a Shopping Center in the middle; Westfield Sunrise= Mall of America)

Seaford= [I never been there]

Montauk= Myrtle Beach, SC

Riverhead= Orlando, FL (since it's also a 'not-so-affluent' state capitol with a major amusement park) [Okay, Riverhead isn't a state capitol but it's kinda like the unofficial regional capitol of Long Island]

Farmingdale= St. Louis, MI:IL (Mississippi River=Route 110 as the dividing line; East St. Louis can also represent East Farmingale [even though no part of East Farmingdale is considered poor] which is more 'diverse' than the other parts; Adventure Land is the 'Gateway Arch')

Old 05-06-2011, 05:03 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,234,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
Okay, here we go!

Well, all cities have it's good places and bad places (variety) so you can't compare one long island town/hamlet to an entire city.

BUT you can compare it to Los Angeles! There's so many similarities between LA and Long Island it's scary! It's like we're a less dense and colder version of them!

The North Shore= The Hills
Long Beach, NY=Long Beach, CA
Melville-Hauppauge Corrider= Century City/Wilshire blvd (of course on a small scale)
Wyandanch= Crenshaw
Wheatley Heights=Baldwin Hills/Ladera Heights
Brentwood/Central Islip/North Bay Shore= East LA
Roosevelt/Freeport/Hempstead= South LA/South Central
Long Island South of Montauk= Coastal LA (Newport Beach, Laguna Beach, etc)
Fire Island= West Hollywood
The Hamptons= Malibu
you certainly are knowledgeable about Los Angeles ! So what LI town would you compare with Brentwood, CA ?

Old 05-06-2011, 05:05 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,234,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Actually, if folks know about Mineola it's probably because the Nassau County county seat is in the part of the Village of Garden City in the Town of Hempstead that has a "Mineola, NY 11501" mailing address and constantly gets misreported in the press and TV as being in "Mineola".
I would also say that Mineola (along with Hempstead and Long Beach) are the only three LI towns that have a city "look" - apartment buildings over five stories high, etc. I know Long Beach is actually an incorporated city .. (Glen Cove being the other, but doesn't have the city look to me )

Old 05-06-2011, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
Massapequa= Bloomington, MN. (both are mostly homogenous middle class communities with a Shopping Center in the middle; Westfield Sunrise= Mall of America)

Seaford= [I never been there]

Montauk= Myrtle Beach, SC

Riverhead= Orlando, FL (since it's also a 'not-so-affluent' state capitol with a major amusement park) [Okay, Riverhead isn't a state capitol but it's kinda like the unofficial regional capitol of Long Island]

Farmingdale= St. Louis, MI:IL (Mississippi River=Route 110 as the dividing line; East St. Louis can also represent East Farmingale [even though no part of East Farmingdale is considered poor] which is more 'diverse' than the other parts; Adventure Land is the 'Gateway Arch')
U do know that orlando isnt a state capitol, right (sarcasm)

oh and i just realized this:
Massapequa=Minneapolis
Massapequa park=St.Paul
East Massapequ (where the mall actually is)=Bloomington
North Massapequa=either St. Cloud or Rochester

Edit: im now finding it a little hard to decipher which one is MIN and which one is SP-park has much larger downtown, pequa has larger population.

Old 05-06-2011, 06:59 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:
The episode you're referring to is "Once Upon a Time in Springfield".

From the script:
Quote:
[The Princess Penelope actress is on the phone]

Princess: Where are you? Where? You're not even in Nassau County anymore. You're in Suffolk. Look, look, no. No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no. You're going the wrong way. Hold on.

[A knock is heard on the door:

Princess: Come in!

Krusty: Now see here, Little Miss Scene Stealer, I'm the star of this show. You're just the reason people tune in.

Princess: Krusty, there's something I have to tell you.

Krusty: No, no! Let me finish: I work like I drink, alone. Or with a monkey watching me.

Princess: Krusty... I love you.

Krusty: That way, if I pass out, he turns me on my side so... You what?!

Princess: I have loved you since I was a 12-year-old girl, in Mineola, Long Island, watching your show.

KrustY: WDQT? They had this fat, pathetic station manager.

Princess: That was my father.

Krusty: Great guy.
You might recall that during this scene she had something of a LI accent. Previously I mentioned Mineola/Smallola -- I might hazard a guess that Mineola was chosen because it is a silly-sounding name as well as the County Seat -- probably easily found on the map.

Trivia: Springfield, VT won the nod to be the Simpson's Springfield for the Simpson Movie World Premiere.

Old 05-06-2011, 07:21 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I might hazard a guess that Mineola was chosen because it is a silly-sounding name as well as the County Seat ...
Mineola may have a silly sounding name, but the Nassau County county seat is not in the Village of Mineola in the Town of North Hempstead.

The Nassau County county seat -- the county executive building and supreme court -- are in the Village of Garden City in the Town of Hempstead. It is in the part of the Village of Garden City that has a "Mineola, NY 11501" mailing address.

//www.city-data.com/forum/long-...tate-scam.html explains why the Nassau County Seat is in Garden City with a "Mineola, NY 11501" mailing address.

Old 05-06-2011, 09:50 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
you can go almost anywhere in the country, and people know of Mineola. Mineola also has a lot of action going on it.

I don't think that anyone really outside of people in Nassau County know anything about Mineola. I would imagine that there are even many people in Suffolk who have never heard ot it.
As a drive-by poster from NC (you know, where everybody in Long Island is moving to by the thousands, whether they know a thing about it or not, or have a job, or not) with quite a savvy knowledge of geography--I have never heard of Mineola and certainly wouldn't associated it with "Long Island"--that would be Hempstead or Islip, to me.

What's "common knowledge" to locals is NOT necessarily well-known to people outside the area...case in point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island