Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 09:30 AM

1,456 posts, read 4,321,525 times

Advertisements

I think Bellport can be compared to Detroit; you have your really nice parts and then you have your parts that are extremely low-income and crime-ridden with many homes that are boarded up/abandoned and some houses with weeds over-growing on their lawn and unemployed ppl, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2011, 10:00 AM

449 posts, read 1,130,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Yikes!

Amityville and Detroit: Personally, I like the Village of Amityville and IMHO is no way near as bad as Detroit. I don't think North Amityville is as bad either.

The Hamptons and Los Angeles: I see what you mean by celebritys and rich people but otherwise they are completely different.

Wantagh and Miami: I don't really consider Wantagh to be a beach or resort town. Its several miles away from the ocean! And Jones Beach could easily have considered by the Post Office to be in Merrick, Bellmore or Seaford instead of Wantagh.

Not to mention that Wantagh is a nice tradtional suburb while Miami is in its own category.....
The whole point is to decided what cities each of Long islands traditional suburbs could compare to. Wantagh is Miami because it has a major beach on an island near it, and Miami is most famous for it's beaches, Atlanta : Airport, NYc and Chicago: Urbanity, LA: Famous/rich people, etc. I lived in Amityville for 12 years: sirens, cops everywhere, really bad schools-very detroitish, ain't it. Alright now, what long islands town could represent the following: Seattle, SF, Pdx, Denver, Phoenix, Houston.

Old 05-07-2011, 10:45 AM

9,158 posts, read 13,197,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor123 View Post
The whole point is to decided what cities each of Long islands traditional suburbs could compare to. Wantagh is Miami because it has a major beach on an island near it, and Miami is most famous for it's beaches, Atlanta : Airport, NYc and Chicago: Urbanity, LA: Famous/rich people, etc. I lived in Amityville for 12 years: sirens, cops everywhere, really bad schools-very detroitish, ain't it. Alright now, what long islands town could represent the following: Seattle, SF, Pdx, Denver, Phoenix, Houston.
I understand what you saying and you are doing this thread for fun. I just thought some of your first choices were not very exact.

For instance, while the Amityville area has problems, I don't think it could be considered very "Detroitish". Detroit has huge deserted areas, abandoned buildings, and less than half the population it had just 50 years ago. In contrast, they are building new housing in both Amityille and North Amityville.

Detroit is so bad right now (and I did not even mention the crime rate or "Devil's Night" of Detroit) that I do not think Long Island has an exact equivalent. Maybe you could say East New York, Brownsville or Bushwick a few years ago.

As for "Miami is famous for its beaches", yes Miami is but Wantagh is not. At least not to the extent that world famous Miami Beach is. I don't even think that half of Long Islanders know Jones Beach is technically in Wantagh. Maybe the Hamptons or Fire Island are a better match for Miami's reputation.

Old 05-07-2011, 10:57 AM

Not even the worse part of North Amityville could even compare to Detroit!

MOST OF Detroit is a place with VERY little jobs and people with very little opportunity for growth and a bright future.

MOST OF Detroit has COUNTLESS abandoned homes for decades (as a result of a MASS exodus), EXTREMELY depreciated real estate(it's not uncommon to see a 3bdr house for $20k).

The School system in Detroit is TRECHEROUS, multiples schools closed, EXTREMELY under-performing schools that would make Roosevelt School District seem like Half Hollow Hills School District!

It's basically a society falling apart!(actually long already fell apart) Amityville or even most other problemed towns can't even compare to Detroit! Not even the Bronx is in the same league as Detroit.

Last edited by LongIslandPerson; 05-07-2011 at 11:31 AM..

Old 05-07-2011, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
I understand what you saying and you are doing this thread for fun. I just thought some of your first choices were not very exact.

For instance, while the Amityville area has problems, I don't think it could be considered very "Detroitish". Detroit has huge deserted areas, abandoned buildings, and less than half the population it had just 50 years ago. In contrast, they are building new housing in both Amityille and North Amityville.

Detroit is so bad right now (and I did not even mention the crime rate or "Devil's Night" of Detroit) that I do not think Long Island has an exact equivalent. Maybe you could say East New York, Brownsville or Bushwick a few years ago.

As for "Miami is famous for its beaches", yes Miami is but Wantagh is not. At least not to the extent that world famous Miami Beach is. I don't even think that half of Long Islanders know Jones Beach is technically in Wantagh. Maybe the Hamptons or Fire Island are a better match for Miami's reputation.
Wantagh's nickname is Gateway to Jones Beach. Hamtons is LA for obvious reasons, I see FI as more of a SF (lighthouse: Ggb), and long beach is honolulu ( island resort city ). That leaves Wantagh for Miami. As for Amityville, how about Philly??? Amityville is very historic. Wyandanch, Huntington station, or as mentioned bellport could be Detroit?

Old 05-07-2011, 11:40 AM

22,655 posts, read 36,676,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
lighthouse on a beach in a sparsely populated isolated area. (even though myrtle beach is considerably more dense than montauk)
So it's sparsley populated AND dense?

I think you are thinking of the Outer Banks of NC.

Old 05-07-2011, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
So it's sparsley populated AND dense?

I think you are thinking of the Outer Banks of NC.
more dense COMPARED TO Montauk, but still considered sparsely populated in comparison to other cities.

Old 05-07-2011, 10:24 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,628,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
Uniondale would be comparable to Stamford, CT if the Lighthouse Project is ever completed ...
Except that the Lighthouse Project was in East Garden City ("Uniondale, NY 11553" mailing address).

Old 05-07-2011, 11:46 PM

438 posts, read 830,574 times
Amityville is like Detroit? Yeah.. North Amityville is bad but the village is still nice. Having been to Detroit on business, even North Amityville does not compare. Why do so many trash Amityville? It is my hometown and I'll take the good and the bad compared to some places...like Detroit, for example.

Old 05-09-2011, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLIGuy View Post
Amityville is like Detroit? Yeah.. North Amityville is bad but the village is still nice. Having been to Detroit on business, even North Amityville does not compare. Why do so many trash Amityville? It is my hometown and I'll take the good and the bad compared to some places...like Detroit, for example.
i think thats why im say gonna say its Long island's Philadelphia. im a native, too, and i know the downtown has a lot of museums and old-stuff, like philly is famous for. its been made out to seem that north amityville is the dangerous side, and isnt north philly the most dangerous part of philadelphia?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island