Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 10:33 PM

401 posts, read 944,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
I would leave that child alone. Please stop pushing her .

We may need to do a mass delete Nancy. This post was not about pushing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2011, 08:33 AM

104 posts, read 309,204 times
To the OP. There is an excellent orgainization called Davidson gifted
Gifted Issues Discussion Forum - Forums powered by UBB.threads™
That forum can give you better advice on how to proceed.
Sadly, there many parents that push their children at a young age. Parents who have truly naturally gifted children are often unfairly grouped with the "pushers". Combine this an oddly American fear of the child with advanced learning abilites, and it becomes very difficult to find the appropiate learnning environment for these children

It is important to identify children who are truly highly gifted. I can not even imagine my daughter in a regular classroom.

People know that my daughter goes to an immersion program. I do meet many moms that believe thy have a prodigy that just have a child that has had a lot of attention paid to them. I understand the disbelief some people have concerning gifted children. But 1% of 1% should have an educational home that suits their needs.

Last edited by atwl1011; 05-08-2011 at 09:18 AM..

Old 05-09-2011, 05:44 AM

879 posts, read 1,953,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody516 View Post
Yes, but can it core a apple?
lol

Old 05-09-2011, 06:03 AM

879 posts, read 1,953,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atwl1011 View Post
Sadly, there many parents that push their children at a young age. Parents who have truly naturally gifted children are often unfairly grouped with the "pushers". Combine this an oddly American fear of the child with advanced learning abilites, and it becomes very difficult to find the appropiate learnning environment for these children

It is important to identify children who are truly highly gifted. I can not even imagine my daughter in a regular classroom.

People know that my daughter goes to an immersion program. I do meet many moms that believe thy have a prodigy that just have a child that has had a lot of attention paid to them. I understand the disbelief some people have concerning gifted children. But 1% of 1% should have an educational home that suits their needs.
Excellent advice. Is your child a Davidson Young Scholar? The forum is a wonderful resource regardless. I have a PG DYS DS10 and MG DD8.

I just left Long Island last year mainly because they just don't care about gifted education. I wish they could see it as Special Ed.

I am going to PM the OP. I have lots of good info for you!!

Old 05-09-2011, 07:05 AM

7,811 posts, read 6,389,895 times
Looks like we've got another special snowflake on our hands. Better start buying bumper stickers.

Old 05-09-2011, 01:46 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,712,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atwl1011 View Post

We had a pusher at the bus stop for a while. She constantly boasted of her child's academic prowess. As of now the wunderkind has become just slightly better than the average, but not enough to merit honors placement next year.

There had to be ridiculous stress on this poor kid to live up to his mother's dog and pony show.

It is sad that the parents of the truly gifted have to deal with the stigma of pushers.

Old 05-09-2011, 05:15 PM

104 posts, read 309,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnanner View Post
Excellent advice. Is your child a Davidson Young Scholar? The forum is a wonderful resource regardless. I have a PG DYS DS10 and MG DD8.

I just left Long Island last year mainly because they just don't care about gifted education. I wish they could see it as Special Ed.

I am going to PM the OP. I have lots of good info for you!!
I never submitted an application for DYS for DD since we are lucky enough to be in an immersion school (in another state). Her SB-5 is now past 2 years old. At some point her school gives some of the qualifying tests and than I will apply. It is a great resource.

Old 05-11-2011, 05:04 AM

4 posts, read 12,276 times
Oh, everyone, relax. I just want some answers on what to do with my kid because I haven't received any so far from the sources I've tried. Doesn't everyone want to have a happy, thriving kid in an educational environment? I'm glad the serious ones were nice enough to PM me with actual information on avenues to pursue.

Old 05-11-2011, 06:49 AM

886 posts, read 2,646,880 times
That's our point. Why do feel the need to have a three year old child tested? Kids will spend the rest of their childhood being tested.Just allow your child to be a kid.Don't be one those neurotic,overprotective hovering parents who's lives are ruined when you child grows up and becomes their mom's worst nightmare.....a teenager! Back off,turn off the cellphone and laptop and play Candyland with your kid for a change.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:43 AM

344 posts, read 717,745 times
The number of chips on these posters' shoulders is astounding; and the same goes for the LI board in general. An over-the-top striver mentality is off-putting to me too. But the slightest suggestion of fostering a kid's academic success is treated with such bitterness on this forum.

Lighten up. The OP seems pleased with her kid's development and is wondering if there's anything to do to help her along. It's an IQ test, not drawing blood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island