Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 01:27 PM

400 posts, read 761,096 times

Advertisements

Sorry guys,

Another permit question.

I live in town of north hempstead. I have a 4ft fence around my property... Like a chain link fence. The gate for the side of the house was all busted up, so I removed it... Its like one of those swinging gates., maybe 4 feet wide.. its not large... Do I need a permit to replace it? The rest of the fence I am keeping.

Also, Do I need a permit if I want to put a swingset in my backyard?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 04:15 AM

8 posts, read 20,601 times
I doubt you need a permit for that but with the townships you never know. You can always call the town zoning department and inquire to be sure.

Old 05-04-2011, 11:37 AM

65 posts, read 192,635 times
I'm reviving this thread. I just called the town of North Hempstead building department about installing a fence. The woman said a permit is required to put up the fence. She said the fence between the houses can be up to 5 feet but the form I downloaded from their website said 4 feet unless otherwise permitted by the Board of Zoning Appeals. The fee for the permit depends on the length of the fence plus application fee.

The reason I want to install a low fence between the two houses is because my neighbor has 4 dogs and I have a young child. Their dogs seem to behave but I've seen them on several occasions come over to my property. Some of their trash they put out on the outside of the side door gets blown over to my side. During the last few snow storms they shoveled their snow onto my side. They kind of have to do that because they have no where to put their snow and I have more room on my driveway.

I spoke to my neighbor yesterday and he told me that they were in the process of putting up a fence last year until they got a summons. He said one guy down the block ratted him out due to a previous argument. That is why he didn't finish putting up the fence to block the dogs. I know the guy down the block is trouble from personal experience. I'm afraid if I put up the fence without a permit he will rat me out also.

The question is if I do get a permit to put up a fence, does the town need to inspect it after it's done? I'm just afraid that I'll open a can of worms if I do that because there were works done without COs by the previous owner (i.e. deck in the backyard.)

Thanks.

Old 05-04-2011, 12:25 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
A deck could possibly open a can of worms.

Are you absolutely sure every fence needs a permit? I used to live in Garden City and no permit was needed but the fence could not come further than halfway up the side of the house and there was a height limit as well. Hard to believe that GC could be more lenient of TONH!!!

Old 05-04-2011, 01:07 PM
GPC

1,308 posts, read 3,411,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daihung View Post
The question is if I do get a permit to put up a fence, does the town need to inspect it after it's done? I'm just afraid that I'll open a can of worms if I do that because there were works done without COs by the previous owner (i.e. deck in the backyard.)
I lived in the Town of North Hempstead and just got over a permit/CO saga. Everything I needed a permit for had to be inspected. And yes, if you never got a CO for the deck, it'll most definitely be a problem. I had to legalize my deck even though the previous owners installed it. To be fair though, I did know this when we bought the house (the previous owners paid us $$$ in lieu of the CO). Of course I then had to legalize it when we sold our house. The deck was built around 1995 but codes changed in 2000 and the deck therefore had to be brought up to code. We needed an architect to draw up blueprints, had to install hurricane clips underneath the deck (my husband did this himself and it was a nightmare), a railing had to be installed, money had to be paid to the town (and the architect of course), blah, blah, blah. So all of this obviously involved $$$, paperwork, and lots of aggravation. I highly that your deck will be overlooked if you install a fence that requires an inspection.

Old 05-04-2011, 01:40 PM

400 posts, read 761,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
I lived in the Town of North Hempstead and just got over a permit/CO saga. Everything I needed a permit for had to be inspected. And yes, if you never got a CO for the deck, it'll most definitely be a problem. I had to legalize my deck even though the previous owners installed it. To be fair though, I did know this when we bought the house (the previous owners paid us $$$ in lieu of the CO). Of course I then had to legalize it when we sold our house. The deck was built around 1995 but codes changed in 2000 and the deck therefore had to be brought up to code. We needed an architect to draw up blueprints, had to install hurricane clips underneath the deck (my husband did this himself and it was a nightmare), a railing had to be installed, money had to be paid to the town (and the architect of course), blah, blah, blah. So all of this obviously involved $$$, paperwork, and lots of aggravation. I highly that your deck will be overlooked if you install a fence that requires an inspection.
What if there is already a fence? I just took down the entry gate because it was all ratty... and I just want to replace that small 4-6ft portion of the fence.. but its already there... Do I need to get a new permit for that?

Old 05-04-2011, 01:40 PM

19,220 posts, read 17,075,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tummymumma View Post
Sorry guys,

Another permit question.

I live in town of north hempstead. I have a 4ft fence around my property... Like a chain link fence. The gate for the side of the house was all busted up, so I removed it... Its like one of those swinging gates., maybe 4 feet wide.. its not large... Do I need a permit to replace it? The rest of the fence I am keeping.

Also, Do I need a permit if I want to put a swingset in my backyard?
I would think replacing/repairing an existing item with a like item is allowed without a permit. Now if they require a permit for a swing set then they are getting pretty desperate for money...

Old 05-04-2011, 01:45 PM

19,220 posts, read 17,075,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daihung View Post
Most places I have lived require a permit for fencing. The main reason is because they want to ensure that it's placement does not encroach into adjoining properties. Many communities especially those with HOA will also dictate the height, material, and even style that you may install. As for "existing items" I would bet that the appraiser saw them and did not run up the red flag so I wouldn't worry.

Old 05-04-2011, 02:03 PM
GPC

1,308 posts, read 3,411,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tummymumma View Post
What if there is already a fence? I just took down the entry gate because it was all ratty... and I just want to replace that small 4-6ft portion of the fence.. but its already there... Do I need to get a new permit for that?
Sorry, I don't know. We didn't have a fence on our property.

Old 05-04-2011, 03:17 PM

4 posts, read 21,884 times
Hi--I apologize for any breach of etiquette. I have a similar situation to tummymumma. I want to replace and existing fence that I know for sure was built without a permit--I went to Town Hall today. I know that I'll have to get a permit. The problem is that this existing fence is probably in violation of Town of Hempstead code. Not for hight, but for location.
How do I find out for sure whether or not I'll also need to get a variance for this fence without opening that canoworms?

Last edited by hmpstdwan; 05-04-2011 at 03:23 PM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island