Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 02:47 PM

12 posts, read 24,323 times

Advertisements

the house is a ranch so im sure it was never done the house is one floor and has a small attic so i dont know
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2011, 02:53 PM

465 posts, read 1,710,334 times
In these cases its best to take the bull by the horns and go down to bldg dept and start getting straight answers about what needs to be done to remedy this. You'll be waiting a long time if you don't start looking into it yourself.. If you need to examine original plans of house and get copies it can take two weeks just to get the town to pull them in my experience.

Old 05-09-2011, 03:13 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,155,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisismysnokay View Post
the house is a ranch so im sure it was never done the house is one floor and has a small attic so i dont know
Ask your RE agent to assist you. The time to close out an open permit can vary depending on the Town, even if the work was never performed. I agree with JonnyTrees - be pro-active! See if your RE agent is willing to assist you with this (s/he should want this to close, I would think ).
Your local building department will be able to tell you what needs to be done!
Also, has your RE agent been in touch with the Listing Agent regarding the unresponsiveness of the Sellers' attorney? If not, why not?

Old 05-09-2011, 03:17 PM

1,386 posts, read 5,346,667 times
it shouldn't be that hard to close really. I got mine closed down pretty quick when they found that I had a permit for my garage that wasn't closed out, and I didn't have a garage.

basically you have to get the inspector to come out and see that no work was done and he can close in the system. mine was a bit of a hard case in that he wanted me to file for my shed, before he'd close the garage permit.

Old 05-09-2011, 05:20 PM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
I agree your RE should be helping you out with this...they have a vested interest in you closing. If nothing ever happened with her permit then it's a simple matter of just getting the building dept out to verify that.

Unfortunately you will likely run into the same problem as above poster, in that the building inspector will likely take them to task for anything that's not "right".

You need to start looking into a way to extend your lease where you are. I had an open permit when I sold last year and I was extremely pro-active and we closed on time but I literally spent hours on the phone every day making it happen. It can take a long time - even my attorney said the stars really aligned for us on my case because it usually takes months to straighten out.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:26 AM

12 posts, read 24,323 times
Default Catch Up

Hey all, well i finally got it all taken cared of. No inspector came down they just closed it. That actually took no time once i got the right person to help. We go to closing on the 14th of this month so less than a week from today. The owner asked to stay till the 18th which we are allowing since the owner has been great to us. Thank you all for all the help.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:33 AM

3,351 posts, read 9,760,727 times
Congratulations! Good luck in your new home!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island