Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 01:45 PM
asn

3 posts, read 5,412 times

Advertisements

It's amazing to me how many people who do not live on Meadow St. have actually replied to this thread. I do happen to live on Meadow St. and have so for many years. I have school age children who have gone to Locust and Stewart schools. We love it here . Our children and their friends are always outside playing weather permitting. We don't live in fear just because we are near the Hempstead border. Regardless of where you live you should always take precautions. We know our neighbors and everyone looks out for one another. I feel I have found a great value in Garden City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2012, 06:46 PM

96 posts, read 187,026 times
ASN, Thank you for the insider perspective.

As to row houses previously mentioned, are we talking about the ones on the South side of Meadow between Franklin and Magnolia across from the entrances to the Franklin Cts, East & West? They are in GC but across the back fence would be Hempstead. They appear to be late 19th/early 20th century and may have been worker housing in AT Stewart's days or may have nothing to do with the original GC plan, just included when borders were solidified. I cannot find any comps but my guess is they sell rather modestly.

Or are we taking about the older attached mews houses on the various branches of Franklin Ct.? These appear to be pre WWII and likely would have been duplicated throughout the triangle had depression and war not come along. Looks like ranch houses were ultimately squeezed in on possibly combined lots in the post war boom.

The mews houses seem to command a premium on a square foot basis despite much smaller yards, no doubt a function of supply/demand as well as lower taxes than a house. Both the mews homes and the street scape are quite charming. As to them not fitting in, I beg to differ. I think its the ranch houses that were shoe horned in later that don't fit. Every community needs a variety of housing, and as GC is one of the better planned suburbs, this mews community (particularly if it were fully realized) provides an alternative to empty nesters who want to stay in the community and don't want to move in to a flat on 7th (also and important part of the housing stock) Also a rather pedestrian friendly area.

They also have their own pedestrian underpass to the Country Life train. Do Hempstead people walk through there to use the CL station? I do the opposite when I go to rent cars and have never seen such, though have been greeted warmly by Franklin Ct residents I pass. If one wanted to get to 7th or the Library by foot without braving Chestnut or Franklin, I suppose you could jump on the train for 1 stop, and you may even get off before they get a chance to ask for a ticket. ($2.75 off peak, but buy at the machine)

Old 03-03-2012, 07:17 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
I was referring to the area ON Meadow. I love the Mews section.

I used to take the train from Stewart Manor station to the library sometimes with my train loving boys, just to change the scenery. They loved it and no one ever tried to collect a fare from us.

Old 03-03-2012, 08:26 PM

321 posts, read 595,806 times
Meadow is a hard border as far as the Hempstead residents are concerned.

GC police do not take kindly to "strangers" roaming the areas North of Meadow.

Also, I can't think of any residences in Hempstead that back up directly to a GC backyard. All of these areas have buffers either through small undeveloped lots or retail stores.

Old 03-04-2012, 08:59 AM

1,838 posts, read 2,021,252 times
Good grief. Hempstead residents use the LIRR station at CLP and the bus stops on Franklin Avenue. They even eat in restaurants on 7th Street. If this is going to cause you to have a fainting fit, you should probably keep your smelling salts handy or pick another part of town.

Old 03-08-2012, 04:31 PM

Ruh roh

Police: Man Stabbed at Country Life Press Train Station - Garden City, NY Patch

Old 03-08-2012, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMalo View Post

Also, I can't think of any residences in Hempstead that back up directly to a GC backyard. All of these areas have buffers either through small undeveloped lots or retail stores.
Many GC (S side of Meadow) and Hempstead homes share a back fence which is also the border.
Study a map closely.

Moderator cut: snip

Last edited by Kimballette; 03-08-2012 at 05:53 PM.. Reason: discussing moderation

Old 03-10-2012, 08:55 AM

Here's a great comp. Not a thru street to the dreaded Hempstead, but 3 blocks North of Meadow, and 1 block from the recent crime scene.

Clearly in great condition and thoroughly updated. Came in at a strong price relative to other recent sales on the street. Updated, move in condition no doubt helped pricing.

53 Magnolia Ave, Garden City, NY 11530 | MLS# 2430165

Old 03-10-2012, 03:49 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,021,252 times
Looks like a great house, reasonably distant from the GC/H border and within walking distance of the train station, without having to cross under the tracks. Magnolia is not a back street but is not terribly busy, either. It would be easy to bicycle to 7th Street and quite possible to walk there. Nice, convenient location, IMO.

Old 03-20-2012, 09:15 AM

2 posts, read 3,078 times
Default Really?

Strangers?...meaning..?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMalo View Post

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island