Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 11:24 PM

25 posts, read 81,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeppacoustic View Post
Appreciate the input, thank you.

I own a Prius. I plan to drive the first month and see if it is tolerable. There is free parking at the hospital and my call schedule will necessitate heading home at various hours; I think coordinating with various bus/train schedules would soon wear thin.

As for driving routes, what do you guys think? Anything besides BQE>LIE>GCP? I've heard some people advocate taking Atlantic Ave out.

Thank you very much.
You will find that it can be totally tolerable any time of day other than rush hour. I drive from the LIJ area through Brooklyn and back every night. I often end my route right where you're starting from and I'm back in 30-35 minutes (around 10pm). However, if you have to go to the hospital from the Clark St station area anytime from 4pm - 7:30pm, you can plan on the drive taking you a minimum of 75 minutes, most likely 90 and possibly as long as 2 hours! If you're going to work in the morning the traffic wont be nearly as bad because you will be headed away from Manhattan. There is always going to be traffic on the LIE > Clark St at rush hour on the way back home though. The best thing to be is flexible about your travel route, I go different ways all the time dependent upon time of day and traffic.

You would be best off trying to work the off hours.

You do have several route options from that area, but they are mostly based on time of day. My first choice would be 278 > LIE > Cross Island (1 mile) > NSP Exit 25. You can also take Atlantic Ave > Eastern Parkway > Jackie Robinson > GCP/NSP. I wouldn't try and take Atlantic Ave all the way, that will take you forever. The third option would be to take the Belt Parkway all the way around Brooklyn but that is most definately longer and you will always hit some kind of traffic along the way.

You can direct message me if you like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2011, 03:26 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,952,109 times
Quote:
I looked at buses from Jamaica (Q46). They are listed as taking over 40min to get to the hospital from there.
I said other than Q46 in my plan you dont use Q46 end to end you use LIRR and use a short cut bus like Q17 then use Q46 from where ever to that location LIJ either way there is no way the drive will be less than 2 hours except at night its horrible!!!! Dont bother with the drive period you can use N24 which is basically a non stop as its closed door then you can use N25 from there. any method will be guaranteed faster than the drive why do you think most ppl DO NOT OWN CARS IN NYC!!!!! For a reason

Old 05-25-2011, 03:33 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,952,109 times
Quote:

I own a Prius. I plan to drive the first month and see if it is tolerable. There is free parking at the hospital and my call schedule will necessitate heading home at various hours; I think coordinating with various bus/train schedules would soon wear thin.

As for driving routes, what do you guys think? Anything besides BQE>LIE>GCP? I've heard some people advocate taking Atlantic Ave out.

Thank you very much.
then that may not be so bad after all I sometimes use 2/3 which is express it takes around 15 mins to penn station from downtown brooklyn I know I have done it. Then LIRR to jamacia or great neck again bypassing the LIE disaster traffic in NYC period is a disaster. you can still get N25. If ur lucky the QM5/6 will have a few reverse trips its basically not going to stop on the way unfortunately the first QM5/6 is 8:15 AM from 6th ave and 36th. the 4 will catch it faster but still that bus is in reverse so it may be faster and arrive earlier than scheduled time at LIJ

Old 05-25-2011, 08:11 PM

61 posts, read 228,133 times
Quote:

Thank you very much.
Unfortunately for you, those highways will be murder during the hours you asked about. It is not a bad drive at all any other time. BQE to GCP to Lakeville Rd (exit 25) is the way to go. Avoid the LIE, the stretch between the BQE and Main St looks short on paper but could last an eternity. Much better going "around" on the GCP.

You could take Atlantic to South Conduit Ave and take the Belt Pkwy/SSP to the Cross Island Pkwy North to the GCP but that is a very long ride down Atlantic with a lot of lights. Also take Atlantic to Pennsylvania Ave, left turn a few blocks to the Jackie Robinson to GCP, that MIGHT work. I don't think it would be better than the BQE/GCP. Try it for awhile, I wouldn't be surprised if coordinating train schedules becomes the easier option.

Last edited by LIGuy2011; 05-25-2011 at 08:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island