Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 05:16 PM

208 posts, read 837,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoracer9 View Post
Hampton Snobs Almost as Bad as City Snobs i Don"t know why so Many People Find the Hamptons Excittting

Just People Showing off their Money and Building Houses They Never Live in
I want to be a hamptons snob one day. Until then I'm a strugglisng actor/writer in Jersey
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2011, 06:01 PM

257 posts, read 608,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyFG View Post
My husband's office is on main street in Bridgehampton, he's a luxury home builder so I can tell you who buys 8 million dollar plus summer homes and in what areas these days.
I agree with almost everything NYeconomist said.
sagaponack usually comes up highest on the "wealthiest zip code" list.

I've had work assignments in all the villages and hamlets in the Hamptons including of course Bridgehampton and I think I might have either seen or heard of your husbands business.....very reputable and well known I believe his company is? ..Walking distance from Candy Kitchen? Or maybe I am thinking of someone else..

I agree regarding Sagaponack...Jennifer Lopez just purchased in Water Mill/ Sagapopnack area. Big, big bucks...

And yeah about Montauk. Montauk is like another world to me in relation to the rest of the Hamptons.....while Montauk Point, "The End" , is a gorgeous location and has some nice places in town the over-all vibe of the town is not something I personally find attractive...Don't think I would want to live there year-round.

Old 09-24-2011, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoracer9 View Post
Hampton Snobs Almost as Bad as City Snobs i Don"t know why so Many People Find the Hamptons Excittting

Just People Showing off their Money and Building Houses They Never Live in

I respectfully disagree with you...The Hamptons, if anything, is the one area in the country where the very rich and the very famous can walk around without getting hassled by either the papparizi's or the local's.....in my opinion it is probably the least snobbish rich area in the country....heck, you can walk in any ice cream shop or little hole in the wall rest/bar in the Hamptons and see DiNerio, Billy Joel, Alec Baldwin, Stern, Madonna, Sir Paul The Beatle to just name a few just hanging out and being down to earth...

I had an photo model assigment earlier in the year in Palm Beach.... now that is snobbish....many of the rich and famous down there hide in their mansions or hide behind tint windows while being chauffeured in their Rolls Royce....Compare that to seeing Mick Jagger driving along by himself in a little MG convertible down Main Street in the Hamptons......

The only real snobs in The Hamptons are those who come from elsewhere or really aren't rich and aren't famous and they come out to the Hamptons to try and act like their sombody....fakers.....

Again, all my own opionion but the Hamptons to me is one of the least snobish places when it comes to real rich and real famous people....heck, Jon Bon Jovi and Bruce Springstreen walk aroud and hang out in The Hamptons and don't get bothered but when approached to say hi they are very nice and down to earth...

Old 09-24-2011, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
I have a question: I checked the income stats for the Hamptons on here: Mapping America ? Census Bureau 2005-9 American Community Survey - NYTimes.com, and none of the areas in the Hamptons stood out as being particularly wealthy. Why is that? Was it just that they picked a bad sample or that the very wealthy people have multiple residences, and they didn't list their address in the Hamptons?
From a family friend and very good source:

You would be surprised to learn that on many of those homes that go for well over say $12 Million that they are paid for in CASH...and in many instances the home won't be put in the persons name but instead in the name of a corporation. Many of these people are rich due to kowing every money trick in the book....or they pay someone big bucks to know them.

Old 09-24-2011, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspyder136 View Post
why do most of the estates in Southampton and East Hampton have tennis courts?? Is that standerd for homes in the area. I would rather take out the tennis court and a nice garden area with a fire pit.
I mean, I've seen Howard Stern's estate and it is the most lovely home, but his has a bowling alley...why?

From what I have been told is way back in the early 1900's when big money people would have summer homes in the Hamptons tennis was huge back then..and also a huge status symbol.....many, many of the mansions in Southampton with the big tall privacy hedges had tennis courts and they exist to this day....

I personally love Southampton Village and if I was ever able to afford it ( I live on the other shore..the north fork ) I would love to live on or near Main Street in Southampton.....I also feel Westhampton Beach, which decades ago was the place to go, has a lovely downtown and Main Street....I would in a heartbeat live on Main Street Westhampton Beach if I could afford to...maybe more so then Southampton....Westhampton Beach downtown has a lot of stuff year round due to lots and lots of locals....just like Southampton has lots and lots of locals but I think Westhampton Beach is more towards families.....great High School too.

Old 09-24-2011, 08:45 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,678,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fashion Girl View Post
I would in a heartbeat live on Main Street Westhampton Beach if I could afford to...maybe more so then Southampton....Westhampton Beach downtown has a lot of stuff year round due to lots and lots of locals....just like Southampton has lots and lots of locals but I think Westhampton Beach is more towards families.....great High School too.
Westhampton Beach has a great Synagogue, too.

Old 09-24-2011, 09:52 PM

They also have the Westhampton Beach Performing Arts Center on main street.

Boy do they have good things going on there...and being a small venue to see and listen to musical artist is just awesome...

Tickets to their events, if you can get them before they are sold out, are not cheap but that is due to the proceeds go to the non for profit center....your totally supporting the arts center when you purchase a ticket to one of the many events they present.

I was raised on rock n roll due to my parents were very heavy into it so I also like it but I also like the blues....mostly black blues artists...BB King, Buddy Guy etc and someone who knew I liked blues was able to pull off getting front row seats for Robert Cray and his band...On my gosh was he great...and so was his band....probably the best musical event of my life so far. I was like 15' away from them....I was so very fortunate to have seen someone who I have listened to often.

Here's a always current list of events they have.

Westhampton Beach Performing Arts Center

oh and for anyone who might not know who Robert Cray is

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Cray

Old 09-24-2011, 11:05 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,127,761 times
Quote:
From a family friend and very good source:

You would be surprised to learn that on many of those homes that go for well over say $12 Million that they are paid for in CASH...and in many instances the home won't be put in the persons name but instead in the name of a corporation. Many of these people are rich due to kowing every money trick in the book....or they pay someone big bucks to know them.
True, but I think it was more the fact that their permenant residences weren't listed as being there, since the Hamptons are known for having vacation homes.

I mean, if you make $1,000,000 a year, and you have a bunch of maids and butlers making $40,000 per year that live in your house, that'll really skew the stats for the area.

Old 09-24-2011, 11:54 PM

Quote:
They also have the Westhampton Beach Performing Arts Center on main street.

Boy do they have good things going on there...and being a small venue to see and listen to musical artist is just awesome...

Tickets to their events, if you can get them before they are sold out, are not cheap but that is due to the proceeds go to the non for profit center....your totally supporting the arts center when you purchase a ticket to one of the many events they present.

I was raised on rock n roll due to my parents were very heavy into it so I also like it but I also like the blues....mostly black blues artists...BB King, Buddy Guy etc and someone who knew I liked blues was able to pull off getting front row seats for Robert Cray and his band...On my gosh was he great...and so was his band....probably the best musical event of my life so far. I was like 15' away from them....I was so very fortunate to have seen someone who I have listened to often.

But I will say for anyone going to see any musical artist there is not a bad seat in the house..small venue and everyone has a great view of the stage and the acoustics are great....but tickets sell out fast, especially for the most famous artists, so best to view the seat chart at their website and try to snag your ticket or tickets early.

Here's a always current list of events they have.

Westhampton Beach Performing Arts Center

oh and for anyone who might not know who Robert Cray is

Robert Cray - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
He is so awesome live.

Edit: I was trying to edit the above reply that I posted earlier and some how I goofed and it made this one sentence new post...Sorry

Old 03-17-2014, 07:22 PM

1 posts, read 6,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidd View Post
Hi, I am a new member. I was always curious as to what separates the wealthy neighborhoods of Long Island from each other? Specifically, what is the difference between places like East Hampton, West Hampton, South Hampton, Montauk, Amagansett, Water Mill, Bridgehampton, Sagaponack, and Sag Harbor? Is one region more "hip" with more young people? Which place has a better nightlife? Which place has more museums. Which is the richest and most desired place to live?? Which place has the better village? Which place has better restaurants and shopping? Is one place mostly large estates and farmland? What is the culture, characteristics, and demographics of these towns?

For instance, I always had the stereotype that Montauk was for upper-middle-class old people. West Hampton and South Hampton were for Yuppies and people with new money from the New York City area. East Hampton was for international old wealth and celebrities. So, I assumed East Hampton was the richest and most exclusive of the Hamptons. Is this true? Sag Harbor was for more upper-middle-class young people. The other towns I mentioned I figure are more suburban areas with large estates. How accurate is this description?
Don't listen to these outsiders. The only places you need to know are the Southampton Village, Sagaponack, East Hampton, Sag Harbor (food wise), and Shelter Island (only go if you can afford a $500 lunch).
Southampton, one word, not two- Old money, celebrities, Wall St, WASPY, and now foreign billionaires.
East Hampton- Jewish, new money, and Ralph Lauren aka Lashinksy.
As far as nightlife, there's Dune RD which has clubs like Catch etc and 75 main in the Village at Southampton. They're fun, but not really The Hamptons. The real night life is house parties and events which you need an invite too. Meet a girl if you're a guy vice versa and get invites to parties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island