Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 10:20 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,738,770 times

Advertisements

I thought it was going to be a little more than this.. but Bleacherreport says: the money for the arena project will not increase your tax bill. It will be paid off in similar fashion that a new bridge or tunnel would be paid for through bonds and revenue sharing.
Also,
The County will foot the bill, but the cost of the project would be offset by a revenue sharing plan that will pay for the cost of the project over the Islanders new 30 year lease to play in the new arena.

NHL News: New York Islanders and Nassau County to Announce New Arena Deal | Bleacher Report
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 10:31 AM

4,697 posts, read 8,746,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
I thought it was going to be a little more than this.. but Bleacherreport says: the money for the arena project will not increase your tax bill. It will be paid off in similar fashion that a new bridge or tunnel would be paid for through bonds and revenue sharing.
Also,
The County will foot the bill, but the cost of the project would be offset by a revenue sharing plan that will pay for the cost of the project over the Islanders new 30 year lease to play in the new arena.

NHL News: New York Islanders and Nassau County to Announce New Arena Deal | Bleacher Report
who pays for the inevitable cost overruns? I'll give you one guess....

Is the county 100% guaranteed a full return on its investment if the team/arena ends up not generating enough revenue? Doubt it...

If this venture is a success, is the country entitled to any of the profits? Doubt it...

Old 05-11-2011, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
who pays for the inevitable cost overruns? I'll give you one guess....

Is the county 100% guaranteed a full return on its investment if the team/arena ends up not generating enough revenue? Doubt it...

If this venture is a success, is the country entitled to any of the profits? Doubt it...
It's definitely a risk, but will guarantee we keep the Islanders. I'm not 100% sure, but I believe if it's a success and with a new revenue sharing plan, the county could stand to benefit from this.

Old 05-11-2011, 10:51 AM

Quote:
It's definitely a risk, but will guarantee we keep the Islanders. I'm not 100% sure, but I believe if it's a success and with a new revenue sharing plan, the county could stand to benefit from this.
Is there something stopping Wang from borrowing the money?

why not a 50/50 split on costs/revenue sharing?

Old 05-11-2011, 10:53 AM

57,175 posts, read 26,139,469 times
Quote:

I would like to see the details on how that revenue sharing would work and projected yearly income. How much yearly payback on the bond can they expect from a hockey team, 5 million, 10 million?

Stadiums for sports franchises have a history of being bad deals for the taxpayers. Seems like many owners want not only the stadium but the real estate, look at what happened in Miami, Houston, also when the Jets wanted to relocte to the upper west side.

This needs a lot more details.

Old 05-11-2011, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I would like to see the details on how that revenue sharing would work and projected yearly income. How much yearly payback on the bond can they expect from a hockey team, 5 million, 10 million?

Stadiums for sports franchises have a history of being bad deals for the taxpayers. Seems like many owners want not only the stadium but the real estate, look at what happened in Miami, Houston, also when the Jets wanted to relocte to the upper west side.

if by history you mean EVERY SINGLE TIME...you're spot on!

Old 05-11-2011, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post

Quote:
Is there something stopping Wang from borrowing the money?

why not a 50/50 split on costs/revenue sharing?
I'm not sure, the press conference should be up very soon. Hope a reporter asked these questions.

Old 05-11-2011, 11:20 AM

57,175 posts, read 26,139,469 times
Quote:
if by history you mean EVERY SINGLE TIME...you're spot on!
The orginal Draft Impact Statement is on the TOH website below, go to the executive summary. The total receipts fo all events at the Coliseum 2007 was $81M and the islanders & dragons accounted for $44M.

According to Wang the Islanders operate at a loss, mainly due to the onerous lease with SMG that Al D'amato set up, then talked Wang into taking over the islanders so SMG wouldn't lose them. My question is, since they are operating at a loss why do they expect that to change with a new stadium?

Does anyone know the yearly lease with SMG that the Islanders pay?

ToH - Town News - Draft Generic Environmental Impact Statement for "The Lighthouse at Long Island" (http://toh.li/content/home/news/lightreport.html - broken link)

Old 05-11-2011, 12:34 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,141,344 times
From what I gather thee is a vote, by the taxpayers, in early August on this. Im sure it will get voted down unless there is a caluse saying taxpayers will not be held accountable for any of the money, ever.

Old 05-11-2011, 01:04 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,991,343 times
How do they go from a mega-overly-ambitious private equity development to a pathetic, taxpayer footed "new arena" only proposal?! Are our elected reps. SO dysfunctional that they cannot meet in the middle on a plan that will work for everyone? Simply putting up a new building will not help the Islander's attendance and demographic issues and will not turn them into a revenue cow. However, a real sport/entertainment complex (maybe get an NBA franchise), retail, affordable housing would create a real hub, be a boon to Hofstra AND NCCC, create jobs (besides the Teamster welfare currently on the table). Sort of like the Lighthouse Project scaled back (like without the gaudy "Lighthouse" hi-rise). Nope, Kate and Co. made sure the "hub" stays a dump and willonly sign off on a 55+ apartment project or Walgreens. The NHL loves to compare the Islander's potential to that of Washington who built a new arena and turned the whole franchise around, but if you go there, you see it is full scale urban development with shopping, restaurants, neighborhood gentrification. The kind of ambition, scope and fortitude Town of Hempstead lacks. Anyone seen the economic ghost town Hempstead Turnpike has become? The building dept corruption? The animal shelter fiasco? Who continues to vote for these clowns?! There has got to be more to leadership than recycled light bulb programs and making speeches on opening day of snoopy soccer league! Any real issue is met with NIMBY, NIMBY, NIMBY!! Unless you want a pool, fence or shed, then it's "NIYBY" (Not In YOUR Back Yard)!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island