Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will The Islanders-Nassau County August 1 Referendum Pass
Yes 12 35.29%
No 16 47.06%
Don't Know 6 17.65%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 06:32 PM

1,264 posts, read 2,439,018 times

Advertisements

Answer if you THINK (not if you WANT, but if you think the Nassau taxpaying voters) will pass it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 07:25 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,997,960 times
I don't think so. It's a weak plan and a bad time to ask the taxpayers for anything. But who knows. They keep voting in Kate Murray and Co.

Old 05-12-2011, 11:24 AM

886 posts, read 2,647,354 times
My wife has a better chance of me losing 30 lbs,cutting down on salt and passing by the local bakery without stopping.

Old 05-12-2011, 10:22 PM

732 posts, read 1,735,105 times
They're damned if they do, damned if they don't. No wonder LI is a wasteland, nothing ever gets done. They should build it then tax a nice portion of what the Islanders make from it.

Old 05-13-2011, 07:59 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,144,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoleModel View Post
They're damned if they do, damned if they don't. No wonder LI is a wasteland, nothing ever gets done. They should build it then tax a nice portion of what the Islanders make from it.
Alot of it is based on revenue brought in by the Islanders. The original lighthouse project was totally financed by Wang and investors with no cost to taxpayers but that idiot republican female stopped that from happening.

Old 05-13-2011, 08:31 AM

236 posts, read 473,798 times
Either way, taxes will be affected to some degree. It's just a matter of what you'd rather pay for.

If it passes, a large company commits to Long Island for 30 years, the County gets a new arena for entertainment, and the "Hub" modernizes in a way that does not include a new superstore.

If it fails, another large company leaves Long Island, taking its presence in the community and charity works with it; the Coliseum soon goes dark, shifting concerts, kids' shows, etc. to Brooklyn or Newark and leaving LI without a single major entertainment destination; the Hub continues to rot.....and the taxpayer is left with higher taxes anyway thanks to the lost Coliseum revenue.

Old 05-13-2011, 09:20 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,669,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
Alot of it is based on revenue brought in by the Islanders. The original lighthouse project was totally financed by Wang and investors with no cost to taxpayers but that idiot republican female stopped that from happening.
I still don't understand why that was.

Old 05-13-2011, 12:10 PM

57,271 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckthedog View Post
I still don't understand why that was.
The concern was over the increased density in that area, traffic, sewage, water, elecrtricity that needed to be addressed, the vehicle traffic in that area is particulary bad. The cost of the infrastructure to support the project were not addressed, but the county would have been responsible.

The county would have provided development rights to 77 acres to Wang at no cost and in the end he was renovating the existing coliseum.

Old 05-13-2011, 06:36 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,116,584 times
IMO I would doubt it. This is no longer the land of "If you build it they will come", all one has to do is look toward Queens and see Citifield. Year one it was new, fun to go see the new digs. Now, they can't give tickets away since the team stinks. The Islanders have not been a decent draw in years and while it owuld be a shame to lose them, I seriously doubt there is enough support.

Additionally, it will cost a ton of money to host the referendum because they will have to use the voting machines as we do in November, each paper ballot cost between 45 and 60 cents depending upon which machine is used. (I don't know which one Nassau County uses cost wise), and the polling workers will have to be paid. The legislature will never let this one fly both on a financial basis as well as the date. Adding it to the November elections it would stand a chance of at least being voted upon, even in an off year cycle, but on a stand alone basis I doubt it will happen. Either way, unless the "devil is in the details" DETAILS are clearly spelled out, as to who in REALITY is going to bear the cost, I doubt it will pass either in August or November. Just my opinion.

Old 05-13-2011, 06:51 PM

57,271 posts, read 26,206,502 times
After all this time they and now they have to waste money because they can't wait. Do they honestly think NIFA is going approve floating a bond for $400M while they have a $176M deficit inany event.

Whats the rush, the lease expires in 2015 and the county can take back control. This has been going on for 10 years and now suddenly 3 months is an emergency situation? There is more than meets the eye.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island