Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 02:57 PM

330 posts, read 726,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEconomist View Post
It's funny, because the last generation always thinks the next generation is lazy. If you think the next generation coming up is lazy then you must have some demotivated children. I think the top children of this young generation are more organized, multi-tasking, driven, and harder working then any other generation. Try having the schedule that some of these teenagers have and keeping up.
Yeah, but do they have to walk 65 miles to school in the winter with no shoes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 03:02 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,761,758 times
Long Island is not a place for career oriented entry level jobs. Never has been and never will be. If young people want to stay in the area and live independently they should find an apartment in one of the outer boroughs and find a job in the city. Later, when they are established and want to buy a home they can move back to Long Island. That's what I did.

Old 05-13-2011, 04:07 PM

16,905 posts, read 16,130,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Who needs money or jobs when it's Cinco De Mayo in Vegas baby!

I believe this was Crooks taking the cheerleaders out to celebrate, but I cannot independently confirm.
Here's where we need the "mother of all bombs".

Old 05-13-2011, 04:15 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,330,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu400 View Post
Its time to ignore the 700 lb gorilla again !!

Poll: 1 in 3 young NYers plans to leave state - NYPOST.com
Most youth everywhere want to move to another region to try something else.. and most of them statistically end up right back where they started.

Plus, New York City is one of the best regions for jobs in comparison to the rest of the country (except for the DC area [and a few other places in the middle of knowhere] which has just as high of a cost of living and taxes); so honestly, it really doesn't get much better than the lower NY state region.

SOURCE: http://www.forbes.com/2011/01/06/bes...y_slide_3.html

Old 05-13-2011, 04:30 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,095,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
Most youth everywhere want to move to another region to try something else.. and most of them statistically end up right back where they started.

Plus, New York City is one of the best regions for jobs in comparison to the rest of the country (except for the DC area [and a few other places in the middle of knowhere] which has just as high of a cost of living and taxes); so honestly, it really doesn't get much better than the lower NY state region.

SOURCE: Slide Show: America's Best And Worst Job Markets - Best, No. 9: New York, N.Y. - Forbes.com
The first part is very valid and it's a good thing to see what else the world has to offer. When your young & single it's alot easier than when your older with a family. Many will choose to return but don't be surprised how many don't

Second part I would beg to differ, I think prior generations didn't take advantage, cross the river and see what the world contains so they maintain a mentality that there is no life past the NY metro. There are plenty of regions in the country with job opportunities, lower taxes/cost of living and road without pot holes. You may find that a larger percentage than you think choose to remain in the "middle of knowhere" places because that is where home is to them..

Old 05-13-2011, 08:43 PM

401 posts, read 944,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Who needs money or jobs when it's Cinco De Mayo in Vegas baby!

I believe this was Crooks taking the cheerleaders out to celebrate, but I cannot independently confirm.
What?? No Tip???He should be ashamed

Old 05-13-2011, 09:52 PM

2,666 posts, read 7,337,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post

SOURCE: Slide Show: America's Best And Worst Job Markets - Best, No. 9: New York, N.Y. - Forbes.com
You have made a point that signifies the hey days of this area !! and if you ask me, those are behind us. It may have been true in the distant past but we need some reality check....

Right now NY metro is 21st in the rankings by least unemployed.... which is pretty much average, nothing spectacular to report there.
Source: U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

But a more telling statistic is that the NY Metro area has not made the top 10 list in year over year improvement in the unemployment rate in 8 of the 10 previous years this decade. I mean if you say "one of the best", then I would expect you meant atleast a top 5 (make it 9 in 10 years it did not make it)..... but not even top 10 ????
Note: On an average it was at the 18th spot this entire past decade.
Source: U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

I would not be chanting the NY metro = best recovery/jobs anymore, don't get me wrong, its not bad at all, its average.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: