Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2011, 01:30 PM

1 posts, read 5,956 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm currently renting in Mineola, but and currently considering buying a modest home in Bethpage south of the RR. I've searched these forums and other sites to find out some options about Bethpage and in general, I've read mostly positive comments. I hope the readers here can share their opinions, both the good and the bad, especially those living there.

I walked around the neighborhood a bit and felt a mixed reaction. As I walked down Broadway from Powell, I had a positive feeling at first, but as I went further south, I noticed many vacant stores and the area felt as if it was once great but now on a downturn. I've also read about contamination from the former Grumman site, but that the water is treated and should not be a problem?

Thanks for any feedback.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 05:52 AM

330 posts, read 726,107 times
Bethpage used to have the best water on LI. But recently the federal government forced them to add poison (chlorine) to the water supply. Now you can smell the chlorine whenever you open the tap. Still, Bethpage is a great place. I grew up there and rented there as well, right by Powell and Broadway. When it's warm my wife and I would walk to Broadway and visit the stores and restaurants. BK Sweeneys makes a great burger.

Old 05-17-2011, 08:03 AM

1,609 posts, read 4,686,788 times
Lived there 1947 t0 50 can recall little breeze in the mid summer being far away from either north or south shores of the island guess ill get different ops on that lol.Still is a long ride to the beach to fish or swim.

Old 05-17-2011, 09:06 AM

827 posts, read 3,094,193 times
I grew up in Bethpage and moved out when I was 27 which was 10 years ago. However, I still have friends and family in the area. Bethpage is a safe neighborhood. Broadway by the railroad tracks (south) until you hit Central Avenue is not the most desirable and it never was as long as I lived there. There are stores and above the stores are apartments. The numbered streets which are off of Stewart Avenue are the most in jeopardy with the water issue and Grummans dumping things into the ground at the old Bethpage Community Park which was torn up about 5 years ago and totally renovated. HOwever, I heard there is a high breast cancer rate in the numbered streets and also have read some reports about some of the residents having issues with fumes in their basements coming from what Grumman dumped there many years ago. As far as I know, the navy did come in and put something in the basements of those homes but I am unsure as to how things turned out. I lived south of the railroad tracks off of Central Avenue not too far from Central Boulevard School. When I was looking to buy a home I looked in that area, as well as the area north of the high school. Unfortunatley, I was unable to buy around there b/c the homes in our price range needed work and we just couldn't afford it. I would recommend you to look in both of those areas in Bethpage. The most desirable sections of Bethpage are north of the high school by Floral Avenue and Pine Avenue and those back streets and also off of Broadway right by the junior high school. Where I grew up is not a bad area either. i personally never found the area right in town behind the public library to be the most desirable. I know my husband felt the same way. Overall, it's a nice small town and the schools are great. I graduated from the high school in the early 90's and since then, they have only gotten better. If you have any other questions about Bethpage, do not hesitate to ask. I can tell you I moved to Suffolk county b/c the houses in my price range didn't need work like the ones in Nassau County did but I still do miss Bethpage to this day and if I could, I would definitely buy in either my old area which was just south of Central Avenue by Central Boulevard School or North of the high school or by the junior high. Don't let the area of Broadway that you were speaking about deter you. It's always looked a little run down over there. However, that's the only area and there is really no "bad" area per se in Bethpage. Good luck with your search.

P.S., I still wouldn't drink the tap water if you buy a home there. They say the plume that was affected by Grumman's will be traveling south of the tracks one day.

Old 05-17-2011, 09:30 AM

330 posts, read 726,107 times
Bethpage does not look run down in any area of the town. What's with the ridiculously high standards?

Old 05-17-2011, 09:33 AM

827 posts, read 3,094,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveoliva View Post
Bethpage does not look run down in any area of the town. What's with the ridiculously high standards?
I know it's not just myself who thinks this of the area I mentioned between the railroad tracks south on Broadway to Central Avenue. For many years it hasn't looked that nice and it's always been like that. I haven't set high standards I'm just telling the OP what areas are more desirable in Bethpage. I'm not trying to offend anyone but let's face it by the junior high school and north of the high school are the nicest areas of Bethpage..more tree's which make the neighborhood look nicer. I did say there's no "bad" area of Bethpage in my last post. I was just being honest with to the OP as I know many friends and family who have grown up in the area feels the same way.

Old 05-17-2011, 09:56 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,955,470 times
Yup if you can afford the area, nothing wrong with Bethpage...grew up there and left (for job relocation reasons) when I was 25

Old 06-26-2011, 08:55 AM

84 posts, read 166,251 times
The great thing about Bethpage is that there are no bad towns around Bethpage. Pick any town in Nassau County and you will see that it is bordered by at least one bad town. My friends parents live in a nice section of Garden City Park, but they have a bad section of Hempstead on one side of them. Bethpage also has Bethpage State Park to the east which is static and can never be built up or changed in any way. It is also the site of two recent U.S. Open Golf Tournaments. Bethpage is also very convenient because it has the LIRR, Seaford Oyster Bay Expressway (to the LIE), and Bethpage State Parkways running right through it. It's also the home of Cablevision headquarters off Stewart avenue. The School district is also known to be one of the better ones in the state.

I really don't think there is a better middle class buy on Long Island than Bethpage.

Old 06-27-2011, 12:31 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,878,593 times
The thought of having to watch my water worries me. Same with Old Bethpage which we had looked at and strongly considered. Of all the towns on the island, who wants to deal with a known/rumored greater risk of localized health issues? It would always stay in the back of my mind, just like living near huge power lines (passed on a few Melvilles for that).

Anyway, I play hockey at the "new" rink, and pick my wife up at Bethpage LIRR everyday, and sometimes go down toward Central and also towards Hicksville. It's not a bad looking area at all - just would pick a different town for my family for health reasons.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:48 AM

20,928 posts, read 28,406,825 times
My cousins have lived there since 1980 and they love the community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island