Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 10:08 AM

29 posts, read 49,937 times

Advertisements

Grew up there, owned a house as an investment, but sold it in 2008...its nice, decent, but it is changing slightly. The property taxes got too high that's why I sold. Nice people, mainly middle class, Italian, Irish, German, Polish and now some Albanian and Spanish I believe, but a 95% white town.

I do prefer the village of Babylon over Lindenhurst though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2011, 10:14 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,556,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetoffLI View Post
Grew up there, owned a house as an investment, but sold it in 2008...its nice, decent, but it is changing slightly. The property taxes got too high that's why I sold. Nice people, mainly middle class, Italian, Irish, German, Polish and now some Albanian and Spanish I believe, but a 95% white town.

I do prefer the village of Babylon over Lindenhurst though
Spanish as in Spaniards or Spanish speaking from Latin America? There is a difference.

Old 05-28-2011, 10:26 AM

29 posts, read 49,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Spanish as in Spaniards or Spanish speaking from Latin America? There is a difference.
Hispanic

Old 05-28-2011, 11:19 AM

30 posts, read 100,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
If you do not even know where "downtown Lindenhurst" is, then maybe its a sign that you do not know the area and should not be commenting about Lindenhurst. Just a thought.
Yea right, that means he doesn't even know where the Lindenhurst LIRR is.

Old 05-28-2011, 11:28 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,556,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetoffLI View Post
Hispanic
Thank you. I was wondering how you were able to discern the Spaniards from the other residents of European extraction. My Spanish side doesn't look anything like the Hispanics coming here from south of the border. So what you meant was there are more Mexicans, Central, and South Americans?

Old 05-29-2011, 04:36 PM

449 posts, read 1,127,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
If you do not even know where "downtown Lindenhurst" is, then maybe its a sign that you do not know the area and should not be commenting about Lindenhurst. Just a thought.
Read my first post on this thread. I ASKED how Lindenhurst would be for me. Then I gave 2 cents, since I HAVE seen a large amount of recently-closed businesses on Montauk HW, yet have seen thousands Of boats and boatshops, much more then Massapequa or Seaford.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:41 AM

764 posts, read 1,546,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor123 View Post
Read my first post on this thread. I ASKED how Lindenhurst would be for me. Then I gave 2 cents, since I HAVE seen a large amount of recently-closed businesses on Montauk HW, yet have seen thousands Of boats and boatshops, much more then Massapequa or Seaford.

Downtown lindenhurst is on wellwood ave between hoffman ave and montaulk highway.

The problem with businesses in lindenhurst is the configuration of lindenhurst itself. Wellwood ave at that part is not particullarly busy. Montaulk highway in lindenhurst is not very walkable.

It also does not help that big chain stores in other places like west babylon and massapequa are close so stores have a hard time staying open in lindenhurst.

Its no indication of population though.

Old 06-13-2011, 12:03 AM

1,775 posts, read 3,767,868 times
Default Rich people don't drive luxury cars ..not always!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
There are plenty of minorities in Mass Park. I saw a black guy having lunch in the Village today. I sat with him and had a nice conversation. Then we left and he got into his Mercedes Benz. Lovely man..with money...those are the kind of minorities Long Island needs and...sorta wants.

Money talks..and lives..on Long Island
Can't help but comment on this, so what makes you think this person is rich just because they drive a Benz..? My parents live in South Queens and I see their neighbors (who are black, Hispanic, Indian, Asian, etc) driving Lexuses and Benzes all the time and these people barely have a pot to p..i.....ss.ss in. They are renting squalid apartments, living on credit cards but whooaa..as long as they can afford their lease payment on that luxury car, it's aaaallll good!

Seriously? I drive a Honda and my husband drives an old beater Pontiac but even though we can afford to drive luxury cars (since both our incomes are well above the median household income for our area) doesnt mean we want to or feel the need to impress total strangers.

Just bugs me how you think because a minority or any person driving a luxury car means they are rich. Not necessarily.

Old 06-14-2011, 06:46 AM

764 posts, read 1,546,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
Can't help but comment on this, so what makes you think this person is rich just because they drive a Benz..? My parents live in South Queens and I see their neighbors (who are black, Hispanic, Indian, Asian, etc) driving Lexuses and Benzes all the time and these people barely have a pot to p..i.....ss.ss in. They are renting squalid apartments, living on credit cards but whooaa..as long as they can afford their lease payment on that luxury car, it's aaaallll good!

Seriously? I drive a Honda and my husband drives an old beater Pontiac but even though we can afford to drive luxury cars (since both our incomes are well above the median household income for our area) doesnt mean we want to or feel the need to impress total strangers.

Just bugs me how you think because a minority or any person driving a luxury car means they are rich. Not necessarily.
Thats true. You can actually get used bmw's ,mercedes and lexus cars for the same price than a new lower car and the used luxury cars might have more features and in better condition.

Old 06-14-2011, 01:16 PM

30 posts, read 100,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post

Agreed, but on Long Island with the exception of Wheatley Heights there aren't any solid middle class black areas you may see middle or upper class blacks in white areas here and there such as Massapequa. This sounds racist, but I think most whites on the island are much more firmillar with low class blacks than middle or upper class black folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island