Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 12:27 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,327,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthLindyGuy View Post
Agreed, but on Long Island with the exception of Wheatley Heights there aren't any solid middle class black areas you may see middle or upper class blacks in white areas here and there such as Massapequa. This sounds racist, but I think most whites on the island are much more firmillar with low class blacks than middle or upper class black folks.
There are lots of solid middle class Black communities on Long Island.

Wheatley Hts and Lakeview are definitely notable ones. Also North Baldwin, western Elmont, a section of West/North Babylon south of Wyandanch are stable predominately black areas with avg. household incomes well above or around the Long Island average. North Valley Stream and Westbury(north of NSP) could be considered one even though it saw a notable income decrease.

People like to just throw them into the low-income/ghetto/poor category due to their racial makeups. I mean, if I hear people whining about a section of town "changing" that may be 5% black then imagine how much a community that is 75% would be talked-down!!

This is why I like this site;
http://projects.nytimes.com/census/2...f=censusbureau
(you can gather a lot of info on areas- go to view more maps to view income data)

But yes, I would only be lying to myself if I said that the majority black communities on Long Island are not so great.

Last edited by LongIslandPerson; 06-14-2011 at 01:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2012, 08:50 PM

449 posts, read 1,132,058 times
I was bored and I looked up some of the changing stats between 2000-2010 Census-
Lindenhurst's non-hispanic white population decreased by about 1,600
Lindenhurst's black population increased by about 200.
Lindenhurst's asian population increased by about 150.
Lindenhurst's hispanic (of any race) population increased by 850.
Overall, Lindenhurst's population decreased by 550.

North Lindenhurst's non-hispanic white population decreased by 1,300
North Lindenhurst's black population increased by 150
North Lindenhurst's asian population increased by 100
North Lindenhurst's hispanic (of any race) population increased by a near 900.

Looks like Lindenhurst is experiencing some "white flight".
I'll try to post stats for multi-racial and "others" later. Running out of time!

Old 01-15-2012, 09:45 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,125,537 times
I don't think you can really consider it "White flight". The White population is decreasing, but it's not a drastic decrease. You look at the different census tracts and see declines in the White population of around 10-15% in North Lindenhurst and 5-10% in Lindenhurst proper.

By contrast, you see communities in the Philadelphia area that are experiencing true White flight. For instance, check out tract 4028 and 403.104, with declines of 53% and 54% in the White population respectively. And there are a few other tracts in that area that have declines in the White population of 50-60%.

The same thing on the other end of the city. Tract 39 experienced a decline in the White population of 68%, with declines in the 50-60% range for the surrounding tracts. Both of them were plurality White and are now plurality Black.

I'm not necessarily saying that it's good or bad that those tracts are becoming more Black, but I'm just stating a fact that the decline in those areas is enough to be considered "White flight", but that isn't really the case in the Lindenhurst area.

And my trusty source is the following: Mapping the 2010 U.S. Census - NYTimes.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island