Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2011, 04:30 PM

1,418 posts, read 2,807,739 times

Advertisements

WTC steel to be trucked to Massapequa Park
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2011, 07:09 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,706,112 times
Look Matza Stromboli...everyone doesnt want to sign up to Newsday to read the story...can you give us a synopsis.

Old 05-20-2011, 07:45 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,245,633 times
Not sure why I can access this crap but here you go. They have been sending steel from the wtc all around the country.

WTC steel to be trucked to Massapequa Park

Originally published: May 20, 2011 3:40 PM
Updated: May 20, 2011 4:38 PM
By MARIA ALVAREZ. Special to Newsday

Photo credit: Jason Andrew | Mark Anthony, a supporter of the Cain family, who lost FDNY firefighter George Cain on 9/11, Poses for a portrait near the World Trade Center Site in Manhattan. Anthony will move steel from the WTC with his four wheel pickup truck to Eisenhower Park on Saturday where a memorial will be built with the steel. (May 18, 2010)

Marc Anthony's fire-engine red pickup truck has become a notable 9/11 tourist attraction at Ground Zero -- an emblem of patriotism that displays all the names of the first responders who died at the World Trade Center.
A retired bodyguard and New Jersey volunteer firefighter, Anthony will use his "9/11 Ground Zero Truck" to haul 5,000 pounds of steel from the fallen Twin Towers to Long Island on Saturday, Armed Forces Day.
The steel will be used for a 9/11 war memorial that is being erected at John J. Burns Park in Massapequa Park. The memorial will depict a kneeling soldier at the towers -- made of the remains of WTC steel.
SERIES: 9/11: A decade later | Add to our 9/11 database
PHOTOS: Victims' families reflect | Long Island remembers
VIDEOS: 9/11 families on life without their loved ones
Phyllis Barry, spokeswoman for Oyster Bay Town, said the town has approved building the memorial at the park.
Bringing the steel to Long Island to build the memorial is "recognizing the sacrifice of our troops, which is directly connected to the attacks of 9/11," said Danny Cain, 46, of Massapequa, whose brother FDNY firefighter George Cain died at the World Trade Center. "I'm very proud of Marc's truck. It's beautiful."
Cain said at least $130,000 for the project needs to be raised, and fundraising will soon begin, with the support of other 9/11 families.
The WTC steel will be taken from Burns Park to Marjorie Post Park in East Massapequa. At Marjorie Post Park there will be marching bands, and bag pipers to welcome the WTC steel.
"It's a patriotic day that is all about the troops," Cain said, referring to Armed Forces Day.
Last year, Anthony traded in his newly purchased pickup for the fire-engine red truck and had all the FDNY firefighters and NYPD and Port Authority officers names painted on it.
Anthony's 9/11 memorial on wheels, which has a photographic image of the imploding Twin Towers on its rear door, will go cross country visiting Seattle, San Francisco, Las Vegas, Los Angeles and Houston. He also will travel with the Blue Knights Riders, a motorcycle club of law enforcement officers and firefighters.
Wearing cowboy boots and an FDNY baseball cap on Tuesday, Anthony, 64, of Tinton Falls, professed a patriotism "from the top of my head to my feet." Anthony has invested his retirement years in promoting the 9/11 story and the rally cry to "Never Forget" to hundreds of visiting tourists who flock to lower Manhattan.
"It makes me feel good," Anthony said, standing next to his truck at Ground Zero, "because I want to make sure we don't forget about 9/11 . . ."

Old 05-20-2011, 08:13 PM

2,160 posts, read 7,516,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpsma View Post
look matza stromboli...everyone doesnt want to sign up to newsday to read the story...can you give us a synopsis.
+1

Old 05-20-2011, 08:15 PM

2,160 posts, read 7,516,220 times
Sound Beach got a piece also.

On an even more somber note I was in the 122nd precinct on Staten Island the other day (long story). they lost 27 cops on 9/11. It was like half of their force. Crazy.

Old 05-21-2011, 04:12 AM

1,726 posts, read 4,038,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexei27 View Post
Sound Beach got a piece also.

On an even more somber note I was in the 122nd precinct on Staten Island the other day (long story). they lost 27 cops on 9/11. It was like half of their force. Crazy.
The entire NYPD lost 23 members that day, Port Authority Police lost 37 and the FDNY lost 343. The 122 Pct. did not lose 27 officers on 911, it is quite somber though.

Old 05-21-2011, 05:59 AM

1,418 posts, read 2,807,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexei27 View Post
+1

its not free to read? I didnt know that.

Old 05-21-2011, 01:11 PM

516 posts, read 1,076,183 times
I think it is if you are a Cablevision subscriber, same crappy company.

They cannot get anything right, below is a cut from the article.

Anthony will move steel from the WTC with his four wheel pickup truck to Eisenhower Park on Saturday where a memorial will be built with the steel. (May 18, 2010)

They story is about Massapequa, did they move Eisenhower park???

Old 05-21-2011, 01:23 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,245,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevink1955 View Post
I think it is if you are a Cablevision subscriber, same crappy company.

They cannot get anything right, below is a cut from the article.

Anthony will move steel from the WTC with his four wheel pickup truck to Eisenhower Park on Saturday where a memorial will be built with the steel. (May 18, 2010)

They story is about Massapequa, did they move Eisenhower park???
"The steel will be used for a 9/11 war memorial that is being erected at John J. Burns Park in Massapequa Park. The memorial will depict a kneeling soldier at the towers -- made of the remains of WTC steel."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island