Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 02:10 PM

909 posts, read 1,836,456 times

Advertisements

Anyone know the background behind the charter schools on Franklin and Peninsula? The main roads are starting to look better fwiw.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 02:19 PM

530 posts, read 1,359,135 times
The parts closest to Garden City tend to be the worst and most crime-ridden/hoodraty (except for Cathedral Gardens). The rest of it is like Uniondale which is a step up though nothing spectacular

It's a shame b/c a lot of Hempstead actually has beautiful historic houses/tudors..

Last edited by PrestigiousReputability; 08-23-2013 at 02:27 PM..

Old 08-24-2013, 07:56 AM

38 posts, read 76,520 times
I'm reading a lot of the posts on here and just shaking my head. I'm very familiar with Hempstead for a variety of reasons, and I've seen it evolve over the past 30+ years.

Yes, it's dangerous. It's the same demographic as, say, Compton and other places mentioned. The per capita income of the town may be increased by areas like Cathedral Gardens, but ask yourself this: Do people in Cathedral Gardens send their kids to Hempstead public schools? No, they do not. They send them to private and Catholic schools because Cathedral Gardens is primarily a white neighborhood, and there are few, if any, white students in the Hempstead school system--and if you've been reading Newsday lately, you know that Hempstead High School is in the bottom 2% of schools in the state in terms of performance.

I really, really, really hate stereotyping, but I hate political correctness even worse. The rest of Hempstead is, again, the same demographic as any urban neighborhood we'd classify as a "ghetto." Yes, there are beautiful old homes throughout the village, but they're mostly rentals, split into illegal apartments, and they're in a state of deterioration.

Thanks to the efforts of the Nassau County DA's office, a few areas in the village have been "cleaned up," i.e. the Terrace Ave. area, but if we're talking about whether Hempstead is truly unsafe as compared with places like Detroit and South Los Angeles, we need to remember that it's surrounded by affluent areas, it has a large, active, aggressive police department--next to a town (Garden City) that also has a VERY proactive and aggressive police department--and it's located in a county where (this is sarcasm) walking on the wrong side of the street can earn you significant prison time.

For anyone who claims that Hempstead is "average" or "safe," I challenge you to walk around there at night, or to live there. You wouldn't want to.

Old 08-24-2013, 08:14 AM
LI-

26 posts, read 33,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
lol are you talking about Hempstead on L.I. ?

The Hempstead violent crime rate is 351% greater than the New York average and 172% greater than the national average.

Crimes per square mile in Hempstead is 409 in the state of N.Y. is 175 and the National average is 49

It has a Crime Index of 38 my town 95 out of 100 being the safest.

Before you move there or any other place for that matter...one should check out the local high school. It could tell you a lot .....

Hempstead is one of the least desirable towns to live in on the Island period end of story.
Look at all the ex-LI'ers who moved south. The area crime stats are horrible. Really has no reflection on where they live. Just stats for other reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island