Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 07:17 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,319,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetties View Post
And yet, you still live in Westbury. Why?
Well because I've moved 3 times in the past 10 years and dont feel like it again. When I first came here in the early 00s it was fine and dandy. Then I had to move because the bldg was sold to a slumlord who put illegals in the apt next door to me, fights, loud music, and then a stabbing next door was the last straw. So I moved further away from the train station. I could move somewhere else and the same thing could happen there. Ever hear the song by Pat Benatar called "Invincible"?

what are we running for when there's nowhere, nowhere we can run to anymore

WE CANT AFFORD TO BE INNOCENT STAND UP AND FACE THE ENEMY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2011, 07:41 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,743,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
¡Lo estoy disfrutando mucho! Espero que cambien los anuncios en el "MTA Long Island Bus" al solamente español.

!jajajaja !! .. esperar hasta que usted tiene que pulsar 3 para Inglés! Juaninwestbury llegará muy molesto!

!VIVA LA RAZA Bebé!!

Old 05-25-2011, 07:45 PM

61 posts, read 228,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
Well because I've moved 3 times in the past 10 years and dont feel like it again. When I first came here in the early 00s it was fine and dandy. Then I had to move because the bldg was sold to a slumlord who put illegals in the apt next door to me, fights, loud music, and then a stabbing next door was the last straw. So I moved further away from the train station. I could move somewhere else and the same thing could happen there. Ever hear the song by Pat Benatar called "Invincible"?

>>WE CANT AFFORD TO BE INNOCENT STAND UP AND FACE THE ENEMY<<
Pat Benatar?

Old 05-25-2011, 07:53 PM

1 posts, read 1,174 times
its a new world

Old 05-25-2011, 08:00 PM

752 posts, read 1,462,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamExit View Post
smart guy.. 16% of the US POPULATION. which takes into account some states that probably have no hispanics at all. westbury and many other areas on LI have a much higher % of hispanics and spanish speakers
so? why don't we just make all the signs in English, Spanish, French and Cantonese.. Or you could stop spending my tax dollars on stupid things and expect that if people want to get by here they should learn the language.
I wouldn't move to Mexico without learning Spanish.
but then again I don't feel like the world needs to cater to me.

Old 05-25-2011, 08:56 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,517,354 times
Quote:
Once again you're not understanding what is going on. I've been to plenty of immigrant communities in the city, chinese, korean, indian, pakistani. Most DO speak english or at least make an effort to. I dont see the flags of their home countries lining the streets. Nor do I see people loitering about getting drunk every night in piazzas like in Westbury.You know why? Because they came legally and want to assimilate and become Americans.
The illegals here in Westbury have no desire to speak english, they fly their "home" flags, they have no desire to become Americans. I've been to Chinatown, Flushing, and Sunset Park many times and never see this behavior there. Sure they have stores gearing to their own culture, but they do not behave like the criminals these illegals do. I dont see cars with out of state plates there, nor do I see grafitti and gang tags, I dont see them waiting on the corner for work either.
I have several friends of hispanic decent who feel the EXACT SAME WAY I do. Their parents came here legally and brought them up right, unlike these illegals and their anchor babies.
I do understand what you're saying, but really, it's not new - people said the same thing about every other wave of immigrants in the past. My Italian grandparents were thought of as third-world scum who didn't want to learn English, hung out in ghettos (now known as Little Italy), etc. Their children learned English and became more American, and by the third generation they dropped their Italian heritage nearly all together.

A lot of what you're seeing is simply a by-product of the economy tanking generally - both at home and "down south". The poorest are always at the front lines of these types of downturns.

There are something like 30 million people here illegally. We can't just make 30 million people disappear - something needs to be done. Ending the pointless war on drugs would probably help, allowing countries like Mexico that are becoming war-torn hellholes due to drug smuggling recover and providing a disincentive to further illegal immigration. Another would be to strictly enforce laws against businesses the hire illegals... but seemingly no one wants to do this in Washington.

Old 05-25-2011, 10:09 PM

752 posts, read 1,462,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
I do understand what you're saying, but really, it's not new - people said the same thing about every other wave of immigrants in the past. My Italian grandparents were thought of as third-world scum who didn't want to learn English, hung out in ghettos (now known as Little Italy), etc. Their children learned English and became more American, and by the third generation they dropped their Italian heritage nearly all together.

A lot of what you're seeing is simply a by-product of the economy tanking generally - both at home and "down south". The poorest are always at the front lines of these types of downturns.

There are something like 30 million people here illegally. We can't just make 30 million people disappear - something needs to be done. Ending the pointless war on drugs would probably help, allowing countries like Mexico that are becoming war-torn hellholes due to drug smuggling recover and providing a disincentive to further illegal immigration. Another would be to strictly enforce laws against businesses the hire illegals... but seemingly no one wants to do this in Washington.
what you can do is get a van, pick up day laborers...ask for green cards and when they cant produce one then drop them off at immigration

I doubt that all of this is because the economy tanked. I have been seeing day laborers standing on depot road in Huntington station for at least 15 years. They have always been there. It's everyone's fault! if people would defend the rights of legals with the same ferocity as they do illegals things would change. Every time an illegal gets pulled over and cant provide ID to the police officer they should be investigated then deported. every time an illegal gets arrested or goes to the emergency room... every time an illegal pops up on the radar they should get a free ticket home.
They should start to crack down on the types of businesses that hire them, Landscapers, contractors, restaurants. Time to tighten up the reins people. The economy is tanking and we are paying taxes for these people, we are paying for they're emergency room visits, we are paying they're share of income taxes.
We treat them better than honest hard working citizens.
this needs to stop.
We need to make them feel unwelcome
make it hard for them to make a living.

Old 05-26-2011, 08:13 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,517,354 times
Crack down hard on the businesses that hire them. Like, jail time if you knowingly hire them, severe fines if you fail to do your homework, jail if you keep failing to do your homework. Problem solved.

Note: this will not happen. The largest employers of illegals, which are generally agricultural and food production outfits, are major campaign contributors and have too much power. They're shameless about it too - some actually advertise in Mexico and South America for jobs in meat processing plants and the like. If our government is going to allow this, how can you blame some dirt poor laboror trying to make a better life for his family?

Old 05-26-2011, 08:59 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,243,983 times
Quote:

Certainly there is a place with less "illegals", less low flying planes and better mass transit (buses) than Westbury.

Old 05-26-2011, 11:51 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,842,423 times
Quote:

You seem to have an unhealthy obsession with illegals.....why can't you leave them alone....unless there threatening you or attacking you should turn a blind eye. Harrasing them and attacking them even the legal ones is making you public enemy number one and its only a matter of time before you say something and it comes and bites you in the ass. People in Westbury and Surrounding communities are going to one day reach that exploding point and i can see a mob of angry Latinos forming and hurting you. Your going down that path of sticking everyone under the same label and if past lessons have taught us , Hate creates massive issues. Honestly what is the point this video below , how did the so called Illegals bother you? Maybe Society could learn from the So called Illegals since they seem to be in shape and healthy....compared to use fat obese Americans...

YouTube - &#x202a;Soccer in the Benihana/ Bed Bath & Beyond parking lot in Westbury&#x202c;&rlm;
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island