Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 02:03 PM

19,220 posts, read 17,072,760 times

Advertisements

This has been an impressive post. Positive suggestions, constructive and regular updates..

Usual this type of post would attract negative, vindictive responses....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2011, 03:33 PM

88 posts, read 249,032 times
Default Thanks and hope your situation gets better

FortSalongaRez- have you talked to your other neighbors? Sometimes a group can do what one person can't. We are having somewhat better luck- the homeowner has planted trees, moved the dumpster and is picking the manure up 2x a day instead of once a day. Why? Well, after two months of constant smell, we talked to an attorney about pursuing a private nuisance suit. We found we had a viable suit- we only needed to prove 1. our property was devalued because of the noxious odors 2. noxious odors interfere with "quiet enjoyment" of the property. Then we went to the horse owning neighbors and spelled it out- if you can't do something about this odor we will sue you. They understood that if we won a suit, the result would be an injunction against horses on the property. The town of Huntington has been no help. In fact, if we ever sue the horse owners, we would sue the town as well, for creating the private nuisance by not regulating odors in their zoning. Please understand, I have never sued anyone in my life, and am not looking to start now. But if it means I don't have to smell horse poop every day it's worth it. In your case, if a group of homeowners is bothered, it would be a public nuisance and the town of Huntington might help. As for the horse poop in the street, do you have a really bold neighbor? Or maybe you could simply pick it up, put it in a bag, and leave it for the homeowners with a note saying, "...you forgot this"

Old 07-05-2011, 03:44 PM

570 posts, read 1,214,559 times
Put the poop in front of Petrone's house. I think someone might be putting the horse's head on his bed soon.

Old 07-06-2011, 05:55 AM

638 posts, read 1,281,416 times
Another fun fact about horse manure! Horses are vegetarians. They eat grasses and grains, not meat, like dogs, cats, and humans. Consequently, their manure is digested grasses and grains. It decomposes far more rapidly, returning nutrients back to the soil, which is why it works so well as a natural fertilizer. Next time there's some left behind in the street, go scoop it up for your vegetable garden!!

And, I'd have to say, automobiles leave far worse behind, speaking environmentally!!

Old 07-06-2011, 02:47 PM

Default Umm, no thanks

Great facts, Ponypulr! When properly composted and aged horse manure is an awesome fertilizer- just don't put fresh manure on your garden, you'll kill your plants. Horses are wonderful animals- smart, beautiful, with an incredible history of service to mankind. Just wish the horse owners next to me practiced better manure management techniques and mind when their property (and mine) smells like a cesspool. I love horses- Huntington Town should love them too. Most books (Suburban Horsekeeping, Horse Keeping on Small Acreage, etc.) say that a horse needs a solid acre of land for its health and well being. Not an acre occupied by a house, shed, and a barn/turnout. It's incredible that Huntington allows homeowners up to 3 horses per acre. It doesn't seem to matter how much of that acre is actually unoccupied, flat land. More than one horse per acre is unfair to the horse, and to the neighbors.

Old 07-06-2011, 05:45 PM

3 posts, read 7,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kptree View Post
Great facts, Ponypulr! When properly composted and aged horse manure is an awesome fertilizer- just don't put fresh manure on your garden, you'll kill your plants. Horses are wonderful animals- smart, beautiful, with an incredible history of service to mankind. Just wish the horse owners next to me practiced better manure management techniques and mind when their property (and mine) smells like a cesspool. I love horses- Huntington Town should love them too. Most books (Suburban Horsekeeping, Horse Keeping on Small Acreage, etc.) say that a horse needs a solid acre of land for its health and well being. Not an acre occupied by a house, shed, and a barn/turnout. It's incredible that Huntington allows homeowners up to 3 horses per acre. It doesn't seem to matter how much of that acre is actually unoccupied, flat land. More than one horse per acre is unfair to the horse, and to the neighbors.
First of all. KPTree, I am so glad you got some positive reaction from the horse owners. Too bad you needed to consult an attorney, but that is the way it is. I will talk to the other neighbors when I see them and also call the town (even though I don't expect much help). And Ponypulr is right about the beauty of the horses and their ecologically balanced digestive system, but misses our point entirely. I love the idea of compost and I practice green gardening when I can, but do I want my bedroom window next to a giant compost heap? No. I placed it far away from my neighbor's yard, too, because I am thoughtful and considerate. That is why we are good neighbors.

As for the enormous piles of horse manure in the street and at the foot of someone else's driveway, I have no tolerance for that. Horse owners who ride in our streets should clean up after their horses. We spend a fortune on taxes, we invest so much money and time into improving our homes, it just doesn't seem right for one horse-loving couple to chip away at others' happiness. I have no problem with the horses -- it is with their thoughtless owners. They essentially brought this misery on their neighbors -- they should be trying very hard to make things right. Thanks to KPtree for creating this post and for all of your responses. Take care.

Old 07-07-2011, 02:32 PM

Default Thanks for the kinds words!

FortSalongaRez- thanks for the kind words. Can I suggest that you put your concerns in writing to the town? I sent a letter to Petrone's office and believe it or not, I got a response from Betty Walsh (his admin.). If enough of us demand that Huntington legislate code/make new zoning laws to control noxious odors from residential stables then maybe we can prevent future problems. Huntington's code says absolutely nothing about odors when it comes to residential horses. Commercial stables have to do something but residential homeowners can pollute the air however they choose. Good luck.

Old 07-09-2011, 08:31 AM

3 posts, read 7,111 times
I will definitely put it in writing and I will keep you informed and hopefully you will keep all of us updated. It is nice to know I am not alone with these concerns. I hope you enjoy the rest of the summer with your family.

Old 07-09-2011, 01:23 PM

879 posts, read 1,952,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Do you happen to live in the Old Chester Hills area?
oh my, i am friends with a family in that area (it's very pretty there, btw!) and now you have me curious if it's by them too! that would, quite literally, STINK!

Old 07-10-2011, 11:39 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,262,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kptree View Post
So now its onto calling council members, code enforcement, lawyers to investigate a private nuisance lawsuit.
I am assuming you have spoken to your neighbors directly about this, first. What did they say?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island