Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 07:22 AM

400 posts, read 761,748 times

Advertisements

If the tax cap cannot pass with this much support... I think we have no hope for LI and this state... Silver is making this cap more and more useless.

Proposal to Loosen Tax Cap Advances - WSJ.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2011, 08:12 AM

113 posts, read 129,542 times
Default He is the one holding it down

Quote:
Originally Posted by tummymumma View Post
If the tax cap cannot pass with this much support... I think we have no hope for LI and this state... Silver is making this cap more and more useless.

It would have passed otherwise.

Old 05-24-2011, 10:11 AM

57,301 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tummymumma View Post

The NY Post has a different opinion, Silver is using his approval of a cap to get rent control in NYC. Adjustments for the soaring pension costs remains and issue but it appears that a district can override with a 60% vote (good luck with that). If Silver approves, it will be a large blow to the UFTA who made an enormous effort, and has been a solid backer of Silver over the years.

Now we will see if Skelos really approved the cap, or maybe he just assumed Silver would vote no, Skelos changed his mind on ethics and full disclosure already after he signed up for Koch's pledge.

I would recommend that people contact their democratic assemlymen on LI immediately, let them know your opinion.

[LEFT]"The property tax-cap plan released today by the Assembly is very much in line with the plan developed by the governor and adopted by the Senate, suggesting that there should be quick agreement on this key piece of the governor's fiscal responsibility agenda," said Kathryn Wylde, president and CEO of the Partnership for NYC.

Read more: Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver nod gives Gov. Andrew Cuomo tax-cap breakthrough - NYPOST.com
[/LEFT]

Old 05-24-2011, 11:48 AM

400 posts, read 761,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
The NY Post has a different opinion, Silver is using his approval of a cap to get rent control in NYC. Adjustments for the soaring pension costs remains and issue but it appears that a district can override with a 60% vote (good luck with that). If Silver approves, it will be a large blow to the UFTA who made an enormous effort, and has been a solid backer of Silver over the years.

Now we will see if Skelos really approved the cap, or maybe he just assumed Silver would vote no, Skelos changed his mind on ethics and full disclosure already after he signed up for Koch's pledge.

I would recommend that people contact their democratic assemlymen on LI immediately, let them know your opinion.

[LEFT]"The property tax-cap plan released today by the Assembly is very much in line with the plan developed by the governor and adopted by the Senate, suggesting that there should be quick agreement on this key piece of the governor's fiscal responsibility agenda," said Kathryn Wylde, president and CEO of the Partnership for NYC.

Read more: Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver nod gives Gov. Andrew Cuomo tax-cap breakthrough - NYPOST.com[/LEFT]

"The plan includes significant caveats, including a carve-out for soaring pension costs. It also would also be linked to renewal of city rent regulations, and like them, and sunset after a certain number of years."

This is ridiculous... The soaring pension costs are what is killing us..... and a sunset for this bill?? WTF this is bs... Taxes will still be well over 3% yearly.. because about 2% covers pension and healthcare.. so basically, whatever the budget increase, tack on an additional 2% in tax levy

Old 05-24-2011, 02:29 PM

929 posts, read 2,068,637 times
The pension costs is not a fight that can be won on this level, because a clause in the NYS Constitution protects public pensions. I think it was added in 1938. That's a fight that is going to be settled in the US Supreme Court when and if the states decide, en mass, to push austerity on their retirees.

Old 05-24-2011, 02:31 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEconomist View Post
The pension costs is not a fight that can be won on this level, because a clause in the NYS Constitution protects public pensions. I think it was added in 1938. That's a fight that is going to be settled in the US Supreme Court when and if the states decide, en mass, to push austerity on their retirees.
If NYS decided to have another Constitutional Convention, we could do away with that severely outdated 1938 clause ... no need for the Supreme Court, nor for any other states to become involved.

Old 05-24-2011, 05:24 PM

57,301 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
If NYS decided to have another Constitutional Convention, we could do away with that severely outdated 1938 clause ... no need for the Supreme Court, nor for any other states to become involved.
There still is a benefit for those contracts expiring next June and the year after, COLA's are a foregone conclusion but BOE's are going to have a tough time explaining why teachers are still getting step increases with rising pension and health care costs. I just don't think that will fly, the interim problem is going to be those districts under contract with huge pension costs coming due, something has to give.

My first take was that very few of the school districts had a failed budget, but when take a closer look there was a definite movement towards decreased salaries and benefits for those that passed.

Old 05-25-2011, 11:54 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,520,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
What makes you think that a Constitutional Convention in one of the most liberal states in the country would result in conservative policies being enacted? Be careful what you wish for.

Old 05-25-2011, 03:55 PM

113 posts, read 129,542 times
Default I am not an economist so can someone explain

What if the state doesn't increase taxes and due to budget deficit can't pay pension funds. Lot of states are underfunded currently not NY. So how will that work out if there is no money left to pay are they forced to pay ?

Old 05-25-2011, 04:17 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
What makes you think that a Constitutional Convention in one of the most liberal states in the country would result in conservative policies being enacted? Be careful what you wish for.
I said that is the way it could happen, not that a Constitutional Convention would guarantee it would happen. Obviously you are right in that I cannot predict how the voting would go if they had a CC and put this on the agenda.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island