Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 05:40 PM

54 posts, read 216,400 times

Advertisements

I couldn't find a "fairly new" thread about Hicksville, and as you know, in 2 years a town could change A LOT.

I recently found a house in Hicksville, South West of Fork Lane Elementary School, and North of Flamingo Rd...any ideas how that area is?

In general, how is Hicksville now in 2011? What are the areas to avoid, if any?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 10:34 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,889,107 times
We lived around the block from Fork Lane Elemetary from 2002 to this past May. The area has not changed much at all... good community feel. We took walks around the blocks, even with our very young toddlers at the time and we would get smiles and waves. I loved the neighborhood - I knew most of the neighbors and it's not like I went out of my way to do so. They also had block parties every year, LOTS of kids around. The only reason we left was because of the school district in general, though Fork Lane itself was ranked very high.

Taxes are still very affordable there at 7k-ish. The specific area you mention is near the community pool and Holy Trinity. The HS really gives the area life, with frequent sporting events on their field/track, and the track is used a lot by joggers. There's also a lot of activity there when school lets out but I didn't witness any nuisance activity by the kids in all my time there. It just gets really busy in the area for an hour or so every afternoon. As for areas to avoid... don't buy a home near the Hicksville LIRR, that's all.

Last edited by ovi8; 02-21-2011 at 10:44 PM..

Old 02-22-2011, 12:03 PM

748 posts, read 2,888,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
The only reason we left was because of the school district in general, though Fork Lane itself was ranked very high.
What was wrong with the school district in general?

Old 02-22-2011, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
As for areas to avoid... don't buy a home near the Hicksville LIRR, that's all.
What is wrong with that area? My girlfriend would have to take the train everyday to go to work, and i wouldn't want her to wait for the train, or walk around those areas by herself it it's dangerous...

Gang activity?

Old 02-22-2011, 03:42 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,889,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJFM View Post
What was wrong with the school district in general?
Rankings, that's all. A LOT ahead of them using every source I've come across. Mediocre on paper. If they were higher, we would've just dormered there and lived a lot cheaper, in a comfortable area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDontKnow86 View Post
What is wrong with that area? My girlfriend would have to take the train everyday to go to work, and i wouldn't want her to wait for the train, or walk around those areas by herself it it's dangerous...

Gang activity?
To be in the LIRR area as a commuter is perfectly fine. I had a female cousin walk to the far parking lot after work everyday and she never had trouble. My wife had also waited for me at 10pm at times at the station and it was fine. There is no gang activity but there's sometimes bum-looking types hanging out there at night. You can always seek refuge at the Dunkin Donuts right there though. I wouldn't buy a home near there to live because they are the rental types if you know what I mean. Not the best option for good neighbors.

Old 02-22-2011, 07:23 PM

69 posts, read 439,323 times
We wanted to buy a house in hicksville, far from the train station, just one block from levittown border, we didn't get it, got another now 2 blocks from hicksville border island trees schools. We knew hicksville had issues with high school, elementary and middle school wasn't bad in that area, but I feel now lot more comfortable, not because the neighborhood was bad or anything, it was very good, like one block from levittown border,I didn't like the schools as much.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:12 PM

I really knew (and still dont know) nothing about Hicksville. I've found other threads saying the area West of the mall is not good. And that a lot of people from the Middle East are moving there. I'm guessing there is a specific area where they are moving? I don't think the population of Hicksville is 90% Middle Easterns. In fact, based on the 2000 census there are more Latinos than Middle Easterns, but perhaps that has changed in the last 10 years?

If anybody lives, or has lived there recently, what would you say the population of Hicksville is? And are there areas dominated by specific races, or everything is pretty much spread out?

Old 02-22-2011, 09:26 PM
grant516

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDontKnow86 View Post
I really knew (and still dont know) nothing about Hicksville. I've found other threads saying the area West of the mall is not good. And that a lot of people from the Middle East are moving there. I'm guessing there is a specific area where they are moving? I don't think the population of Hicksville is 90% Middle Easterns. In fact, based on the 2000 census there are more Latinos than Middle Easterns, but perhaps that has changed in the last 10 years?

If anybody lives, or has lived there recently, what would you say the population of Hicksville is? And are there areas dominated by specific races, or everything is pretty much spread out?
I'd say hicksville is pretty damn white- with the exception of Ikea. I swear to god people come from all over the UNIVERSE to shop at that store. No one speaks English, or even Spanish, or Hindi... I don't know WHAT the heck they're speaking... or how they get there... but lord they love to shop.

Old 02-22-2011, 10:15 PM

172 posts, read 719,088 times
i just moved from Queens to Hicksville and im 7 mins from the LIRR and things have been great.i think living close to the LIRR is a plus when it comes to selling because people like a quick way to get to the train station. I have personally seen people help each other out with no questions asked. During this winter there was plenty of people stuck in the snow and seen people that are shoveling their house help out.
i would drive around the neighborhood at random times to get a feel of the area. best of luck with your search!

Old 02-22-2011, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmv138 View Post
i just moved from Queens to Hicksville and im 7 mins from the LIRR and things have been great.i think living close to the LIRR is a plus when it comes to selling because people like a quick way to get to the train station. I have personally seen people help each other out with no questions asked. During this winter there was plenty of people stuck in the snow and seen people that are shoveling their house help out.
i would drive around the neighborhood at random times to get a feel of the area. best of luck with your search!
Thanks!! Would you recommend an area, or suggest to stay away from a certain area? I'd like to hear more from people who knows Hicksville well!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island