Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2011, 12:48 PM

19 posts, read 77,660 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am from Huntington, however I have spent the last few years in the Boston area at college and graduate school. I love Boston, however I have been actively looking at LI jobs as well. I recently received a job offer as a high school teacher in the Half Hollow Hills (Dix Hills) school district. If I were to accept the offer, I would like to start scoping out possible places to live. However, coming from Boston I get a little nervous about moving back to "suburbia". Where on LI would be a good place for a 24 year old looking to live (semi-affordably) with some sort of nightlife and also access to Manhattan? Thanks a lot for the suggestions!

Jim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2011, 12:53 PM

186 posts, read 710,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo87 View Post
Hello,

I am from Huntington, however I have spent the last few years in the Boston area at college and graduate school. I love Boston, however I have been actively looking at LI jobs as well. I recently received a job offer as a high school teacher in the Half Hollow Hills (Dix Hills) school district. If I were to accept the offer, I would like to start scoping out possible places to live. However, coming from Boston I get a little nervous about moving back to "suburbia". Where on LI would be a good place for a 24 year old looking to live (semi-affordably) with some sort of nightlife and also access to Manhattan? Thanks a lot for the suggestions!

Jim
Move to Huntington village...

Teaching at West or East?

Old 05-27-2011, 12:56 PM

327 posts, read 1,059,644 times
Since you are already from Huntington id say that Babylon Village would be your best bet.. commute wise. If your willing to drive a little more Rockville Centre should also work.

Old 05-27-2011, 01:00 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,932,246 times
You have 7 posts and asked this exact question 4 times.....

Did you not like the previous replies or looking for different ones

For a future teacher your memeory is shot

Old 05-27-2011, 03:38 PM

19 posts, read 77,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
You have 7 posts and asked this exact question 4 times.....

Did you not like the previous replies or looking for different ones

For a future teacher your memeory is shot
Thank you for that but in my previous post I asked in general where to live. I had no job and no idea where I'd be commuting to. I decided to ask
again in case anyone had some insight into places from which the job would be accessible.

Old 05-27-2011, 03:49 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,309,691 times
Quote:
Hello,

Jim

Deer Park!

Semi-Affordability ✓ (Deer Park is one of the more affordable middle-class areas on the island)

Nightlife ✓ (well, there's the new Tanger Mall and I know theres a lot of restaurants and stuff on DPA)

Access to Manhattan ✓ (Deer Park Train Station will bring you to Penn Station in about an hour)

Deer Park is the next town over so your commute will be very small.

Old 05-28-2011, 10:18 AM

29 posts, read 49,932 times
Went to HHH! Honestly, I would stay in Boston, much more to do...or try finding a teaching job in a surrounding suburb of Boston. However, if you decided to come back to LI or got the job at HHH, Huntington, Babylon, Farmingdale or Port Jefferson or you only decent options in Suffolk. But remember very limited young people, its 85% families and older people, be forewarned. NYC and surroundings is where you really have to go for more things to do.

Old 05-28-2011, 11:02 AM

426 posts, read 955,006 times
Quote:
Hello,

Jim
Since you are from Huntington and are familiar with it, why don't you just move back there? The village area has a lot of nice bars, restaurants and nightlife and it would be really close to HHH school.....

I have asked the same question on this board and pretty much get the same responses.....either Huntington, Babylon, Bay Shore, Port Jefferson, or Rockville Centre......maybe Farmingdale also but the Main St/Village area is kinda small....

And the train ride from Huntington to Manhattan is only about an hour....

Old 05-28-2011, 02:19 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,078,159 times
Quote:
Hello,

Jim
If you want good access to Manhattan i'd probably stay closer to the south shore because you'd have better access to the LIRR. My issue with your statement is that you are comparing Long Island which is mostly suburban to Boston which is a major city. I do agree that Deer Park is a good idea but also being anywhere near Route 231(Deer Park Ave) or Route 110 (near Amityville or Farmingdale) would be good choices.
I would also weigh starting salary before making too quick of a decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island