Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2011, 12:51 PM

633 posts, read 952,085 times

Advertisements

THere are a few houses that I have been looking at where the school district and the town (in this case, East Meadow SD, and town is Levittown or Westbury) don't match.

I am trying to determine what things I should factor in when looking at such houses.

For example, are there resources that I may not have access to in East Meadow, but instead would have access to in Levittown?

Perhaps these houses may not get as much visibility when it comes time to sell? Or these houses may sell for less since Levittown houses on the whole (I'm guessing) are viewed less favorably?

Anything else I may be overlooking?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 01:14 PM

257 posts, read 747,928 times
Everything on Long Island is relativly close, there are no *real* divisions between most towns, so the school district not matching the town is pretty common. I grew up in Wantagh, but resided in the Levittown schools, but now I live in Wantagh in the Wantagh schools.... If you have children, I would suggest searching the MLSli.com by school district rather than town. If the school district is good so is the neighborhood, generally speaking. I can't really always say the same the other way around. If you are looking in the East Meadow schools specifially, you'll even see some variations in pricing between the two high schools. Of the three you mentioned, I would say East Meadow is the best, with Levittown second and Westbury schools being a clear last place. The part of Westbury that falls in the EM school district is known as Salsbury I believe. I've never heard anything bad about it.

Old 05-31-2011, 01:23 PM

22,614 posts, read 36,512,094 times
When you say "resources" - what exactly do you mean? Often there are things like town pools and recreation programs/adult ed that you cannot get unless you live in the town/village where they are located...in other words it goes by town, not school district. I think Levittown has its own pools so that would be a plus for you.

Old 05-31-2011, 02:00 PM

465 posts, read 1,701,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
When you say "resources" - what exactly do you mean? Often there are things like town pools and recreation programs/adult ed that you cannot get unless you live in the town/village where they are located...in other words it goes by town, not school district. I think Levittown has its own pools so that would be a plus for you.
to add to twingles response, library privileges zone with school district, so if you plan to use the library and its programs in this case it would be East Meadow library when living in Levittown.

Old 05-31-2011, 03:33 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,555,652 times
Default A map of the Hamlet of Salisbury in the Town of Hempstead, Nassau County

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruhkus View Post
THere are a few houses that I have been looking at where the school district and the town (in this case, East Meadow SD, and town is Levittown or Westbury) don't match.
From your brief description, I'm guessing that you are referring to Salisbury.

A map of the Hamlet of Salisbury in the Town of Hempstead, Nassau County:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b2/Salisbury-nassau-ny-map.gif (broken link)

Salisbury is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where none of the places in the community have the community name in their mailing address: most places in the Hamlet of Salisbury have a "Westbury, NY 11590" mailing address, while a small slice in the east part of the hamlet have a "Levittown, NY 11756" mailing address.

Old 05-31-2011, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladibug1026 View Post
The part of Westbury that falls in the EM school district is known as Salsbury I believe. I've never heard anything bad about it.
While Salisbury is within the "Westbury, NY 11590" ZIP Code postal zone and most places in Salisbury have a "Westbury, NY 11590" mailing address, no part of the Hamlet of Salisbury in the Town of Hempstead is in the Village of Westbury in the Town of North Hempstead because in New York State a hamlets can not be part of a village, and vice versa.

NYS Geographic Glossary may be of some help to you in understanding the geography of "Lawn Guyland".

Old 05-31-2011, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyTrees View Post
to add to twingles response, library privileges zone with school district ...
While the majority of libraries on Long Island are "School District Library Districts", where the library district is coterminous with a school district,, not all libraries, such as village libraries, are coterminous with school districts.

Old 09-16-2011, 12:16 PM

14 posts, read 34,085 times
Default Levittown

Long Island NY can be very confusing with regard to school districts. You can reside in one town and attend one of several schools due to zoning. I live in Levittown and attend Island Tree schools. If you are interested in a school, call the school and make an appointment to visit the school and see what they to offer. Talk to local people in the coffee shops and ask them what they think. Go to great schools.net and see what programs, clubs and services are offered as well as class size by grade, test scores and etc. Good luck

Old 09-16-2011, 01:40 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,768,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruhkus View Post

I am trying to determine what things I should factor in when looking at such houses.

For example, are there resources that I may not have access to in East Meadow, but instead would have access to in Levittown?

Perhaps these houses may not get as much visibility when it comes time to sell? Or these houses may sell for less since Levittown houses on the whole (I'm guessing) are viewed less favorably?

Anything else I may be overlooking?
If you have kids, consider the better school district. It will probably cause you higher school taxes with lower town/county taxes.

However, if you are looking at a house in a town for the sake of the schools, also consider the one you are buying in: dies it have great parks with something really special like year round indoor pool or a skating rink? Could a kid lack access by the town s/he lives in if you lived there?

I don't live down there anymore, but on our road here, one of the best suburbs school districts cuts into our town for 2 miles. Lots of people buy there (if they can!) to get our full service town and the other schools ( not like ours are lower quality -- we are in the top #10 for all of the area of 50-60 districts -- just that their district is #1 in the area).... however, not living in the school district town means the kids can't go access that town's indoor pool or outdoor one orplay on their town sports teams in summer -- only town residents can. They have to stay in our town for that. They miss the school friends all the time out of school when in activities other than school sponsored ones.

You have to look into things like that.

Old 09-16-2011, 03:08 PM

Default A map of the Island Trees Union Free School District

Quote:
Originally Posted by taraohara View Post
I live in Levittown and attend Island Tree schools.
It appears from the following map of Island Trees Union Free School District, that this district is entirely within the Hamlet of Levittown.

A map of the Island Trees Union Free School District:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island