Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2011, 09:49 AM

2,512 posts, read 3,058,481 times

Advertisements

Greetings All....

I am contemplating attending a social function in Water Mill tomorrow night (Saturday) which starts about 7:30PM. Will be travelling from the Babylon area, Google is telling me it will take one hour and three minutes.

I have the day free and can leave any time, my thoughts are to leave earlier in the day and have lunch out there to avoid any late day crunch.

Is there a late day crunch on Saturday? Will the traffic be particularly heavy or light at a given time? Any optimal time to leave?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2011, 09:55 AM

1,607 posts, read 3,090,538 times
tough to call, traffic can be bad anytime out there once you get to Southampton and the highway narrows down to one lane. Friday afternoon is probably worse, leave in the morning stop and eat along the way and enjoy the day.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:59 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times
Take a leisurely ride, stop for lunch or a snack along the way. It's not worth chancing dinner/club/apres beach traffic.

Old 06-03-2011, 10:43 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,034,476 times
The only way to avoid slowdowns is to leave early in the morning or late at night. Otherwise, prepare crawl once you hit the Hamptons.

Old 06-03-2011, 11:16 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,171,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
Greetings All....

I am contemplating attending a social function in Water Mill tomorrow night (Saturday) which starts about 7:30PM. Will be travelling from the Babylon area, Google is telling me it will take one hour and three minutes.

I have the day free and can leave any time, my thoughts are to leave earlier in the day and have lunch out there to avoid any late day crunch.

Is there a late day crunch on Saturday? Will the traffic be particularly heavy or light at a given time? Any optimal time to leave?

LOL

Bank on 1.5

Old 06-03-2011, 12:27 PM

2,361 posts, read 1,752,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
LOL

Bank on 1.5

.....miles an hour once Sunrise Highway ends.

Old 06-03-2011, 01:46 PM

Looks like I'd better plan on a leisurley meander out there. Fortunately Water Mill isn't too far past Shinnecock Inlet, and there's a road (County Route 39) that goes up and above the ShinnecocK Golf Course. I'm thinking Montauk Higway would be worse.

I'll set sail about 11:00AM and will have plenty of time If I get lost. If alternate route or departure time are ill advised please let me know.

Old 06-03-2011, 02:38 PM

186 posts, read 713,405 times
Quote:
Looks like I'd better plan on a leisurley meander out there. Fortunately Water Mill isn't too far past Shinnecock Inlet, and there's a road (County Route 39) that goes up and above the ShinnecocK Golf Course. I'm thinking Montauk Higway would be worse.

I'll set sail about 11:00AM and will have plenty of time If I get lost. If alternate route or departure time are ill advised please let me know.

You're sailing? I thought you were driving?

<rim shot> Thank you... don't forget to tip your waitresses

Old 06-03-2011, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonPhishn View Post
You're sailing? I thought you were driving?

<rim shot> Thank you... don't forget to tip your waitresses

Apologies...

Just a figure of speech, and being fiscally conservative while attemtping to become more "Green" (The more fiscally conservative I am the more green I save...LOL) I don't drive a Land Yacht....

Old 06-04-2011, 08:24 AM

36 posts, read 146,700 times
Quote:

Stay off Montauk after the canal...it becomes Hill Street with a 25 mph speed limit and it will take you straight thru the Village of Southampton, which you will not enjoy, unless you want to window shop. This area is right above the estates area of the Village. If you are running really good on time, you might want to travel a little south and see some of the big $$$ homes in that area..(I appraise out there and there are some great houses/estates that can be seen from the street)
Enjoy the trip..

Stick to CR 39. It turns into 1 lane down by the 7-11. If you look at a map (and depending where you are going in Water Mill you may want to jump up on ( just past the Hampton Jittney HQ on the left) David Whites Lane toward the north and follow it around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island