Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 02:44 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,730,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Interesting. A homeowner needs to get a permit to share his/her house with another person? What do you call that kind of permit? A Boarders' Permit?
A house share is a different matter. I was talking about apartments.

Sharing a house (with one kitchen) with one other person should not be a problem anywhere. Some towns, however, do have laws about the number of unrelated people who can share a house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2011, 02:45 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,208,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinity5098 View Post
You're right I am but in those months I will have saved money. I can easily save $500 a month just be leaving the house I am in right now.

I really appreciate you all talking this out with me. All these ideas have occured to me too which makes me nervous but sometimes sorting it all out helps.
I am glad you can save money anyway if you take it. It is hard to say where else you can go with so many dogs. Just remember it's not "your own apartment" ... it's more like the owner of the house is letting you have use of some of the rooms. Hopefully there won't be conflict, especially if this lady is new to having boarders.

Old 06-07-2011, 02:55 PM

15 posts, read 19,844 times
Quote:
I am glad you can save money anyway if you take it. It is hard to say where else you can go with so many dogs. Just remember it's not "your own apartment" ... it's more like the owner of the house is letting you have use of some of the rooms. Hopefully there won't be conflict, especially if this lady is new to having boarders.
I know technically its not my own apartment but it is going to be separate from her, my own entrance; we are sharing the backyard and the kitchen if I happen to need it.

I am always a step ahead in the "thinking" process and if anything were to happen then I would make a bigger move out of state to stay with family. But that is a LAST option because the last thing I want right now is to get into another deal with family.

Old 06-07-2011, 02:59 PM

3,939 posts, read 8,948,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinity5098 View Post
I know technically its not my own apartment but it is going to be separate from her, my own entrance; we are sharing the backyard and the kitchen if I happen to need it.

I am always a step ahead in the "thinking" process and if anything were to happen then I would make a bigger move out of state to stay with family. But that is a LAST option because the last thing I want right now is to get into another deal with family.
YMMV. My last apt was from a "nice guy who was down on his luck" and I ended up having to sue him because he (a) didn't give us heat to the apt (b) let the other apt on the property get totally overcrowded with 2-3x the number of people that should have been there (c) kicked us out illegally with the heat (d) did not return our security deposit (e) did not let us use the yard when it was explicitly written in the lease.

Good luck.

Old 06-07-2011, 03:04 PM

15 posts, read 19,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
YMMV. My last apt was from a "nice guy who was down on his luck" and I ended up having to sue him because he (a) didn't give us heat to the apt (b) let the other apt on the property get totally overcrowded with 2-3x the number of people that should have been there (c) kicked us out illegally with the heat (d) did not return our security deposit (e) did not let us use the yard when it was explicitly written in the lease.

Good luck.

I don't know what YMMV means LOL

Its a leap of faith. I rent my upstairs in the house I am in now, bedroom, bathroom, no kitchen, fridge. He doesn't cook and I have never had a problem. I am not that kind of person and there are other decent people out there. Again, I have to have a little faith...naive or not, that is what it comes down to.

Old 06-07-2011, 03:12 PM

9,923 posts, read 23,055,376 times
One more thing to keep in mind - the neighbors!

Has this lady ever rented part of her house before? Neighbors can get really nasty if they don't like it that somebody's renting illegally.
Even if she has, is the property fenced in with a "solid" fence so no one can see the sudden addition(s)? Five dogs are going to make noise I presume (may be wrong though) which neighbors may not like. And have you discussed the poop patrol (if they go outside)?

Good luck.

Old 06-07-2011, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
One more thing to keep in mind - the neighbors!

Has this lady ever rented part of her house before? Neighbors can get really nasty if they don't like it that somebody's renting illegally.
Even if she has, is the property fenced in with a "solid" fence so no one can see the sudden addition(s)? Five dogs are going to make noise I presume (may be wrong though) which neighbors may not like. And have you discussed the poop patrol (if they go outside)?

Good luck.
Do you think it's illegal for the homeowner to take in a boarder to live with her and let said boarder use some of the rooms in the house? If there's no actual "illegal" apartment built, what leg do potentially complaining neighbors have to stand on?

Old 06-07-2011, 03:39 PM

3,939 posts, read 8,948,889 times
Quote:
Do you think it's illegal for the homeowner to take in a boarder to live with her and let said boarder use some of the rooms in the house? If there's no actual "illegal" apartment built, what leg do potentially complaining neighbors have to stand on?

Something does not have to be illegal to be annoying.

Old 06-07-2011, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
Something does not have to be illegal to be annoying.
That's very true, but if whatever's going on is not illegal, then the complainers don't have much of a case.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:34 PM

2,033 posts, read 3,190,822 times
My only thought is it sounds like she is looking to live in house where she lives inmain area like downstair where living room and kitchen is and has bathroom downstaris and place to sleep . Is it only 1 person living there alone now that you know of? It likely is asingle family home and she is looking to just have someone pay to live upstairs. I would make sure it is safely closed off between livign spaces b4 moving in or paying or signing anything. Sounds like will end up disaster. Might be hard up for $ and trying to ust make $. Like everyone else these days. I am sure it would never be llegal or safe by fire dept. to out in any cooking upstairs and remeber sounds like you will not have any place to cook whenever you want. What if you want to wash a dish? Gusee bathub if ther eis one will be sink?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island