Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 10:22 AM

371 posts, read 936,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Or lean on your horn....I've done that with teens who won't get out of the road - the look on their faces is priceless...goes right from gangbanger stare to "OH MY EARS!"
Air horns work great for this too...lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 11:13 AM

2,851 posts, read 3,468,032 times
Damn kids playing on the street. Next thing you know they will be riding their bikes and roller blading too!!

Old 06-08-2011, 11:25 AM

9 posts, read 21,240 times
Thank you all for your answers. Talking to them - very nicely- did not work. I will not transcribe how I was treated. But they did leave for two weeks. I have seen them back again. Someone called the police before and they did the same thing; leave for two weeks and come back.
I appreciate all your ideas very much, but I could never do anything- legal or not- to put these young men on the path of further danger. I want them safely practicing what they love without creating a dangerous or annoying situation.
Again thank you very much to all of you.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:26 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,958,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phipps20 View Post
Thank you all for your answers. Talking to them - very nicely- did not work. I will not transcribe how I was treated. But they did leave for two weeks. I have seen them back again. Someone called the police before and they did the same thing; leave for two weeks and come back.
I appreciate all your ideas very much, but I could never do anything- legal or not- to put these young men on the path of further danger. I want them safely practicing what they love without creating a dangerous or annoying situation.
Again thank you very much to all of you.
Good luck.

Try directing them to another hill

Old 06-08-2011, 11:58 AM

1,214 posts, read 3,636,255 times
Eventually one of them will get hurt without any outside interference and then it will stop. Sometimes these kids need to learn things the hard way. More than likely the parents don't know what's going on or don't care.

Old 06-08-2011, 01:56 PM

893 posts, read 2,857,629 times
Long boarding is gaining popularity pretty quickly. I never saw one before till I went away to college and kids were zooming past me. Now I kind of want one lol. Perfect for boardwalk evenings.

Old 06-08-2011, 02:10 PM

456 posts, read 1,426,094 times
Wow, people are now complaining about kids skateboarding in the street. I think some of you need to go out and get a hobby instead of sitting on your rear ends with a "get off mah lawn you damn kids!" mentality. Oh, and they will get hurt. That's what kids do on and they learn lessons, or just get better at what they're doing.

Old 06-08-2011, 02:12 PM

3,939 posts, read 8,958,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTruth08 View Post
Long boarding is gaining popularity pretty quickly. I never saw one before till I went away to college and kids were zooming past me. Now I kind of want one lol. Perfect for boardwalk evenings.

Ugh these are all over Long Beach. I hate them. Ride a real skateboard.

Old 06-08-2011, 02:18 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,639,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phipps20 View Post
Three Village. I call the office of Suffolk County Legislator Vivian Viloria-Fisher and I asked about the legality of this activity. I was told there is nothing I could do because skateboards are considered self-propelled vehicles and they have a right to be on the road; so we have a tricky to control self-propelled vehicle allowed to circulate without brakes, in some cases above speed limits. If longboarding-or speedboarding- is a sport, since when do we allow dangerous sports to be practiced regulary on public residential roads? I think it needs to be regulated and these kids need a place to practice. I am not against the sport or these young men.
I'm in 3V too and on a wicked curved hill. You can't see either end of the road if you are halfway between them. It's only a matter of time before they find me.

Have you ever witnessed the group of kids who do tricks on the stairs outside the church on the corner of Main St and 25A in Setauket? One day I was sitting at the light when a boy came flying off the rail, out of control, flipped onto his side at the curb. If a school bus or truck had been passing, he would have been injured, if not killed. Yet, it's hands off because these aren't motorized? Imagine the grief someone would have to live with if they struck and killed one of these kids? Imagine the lawsuits?

Old 06-08-2011, 02:21 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,862,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
Just like how we need to regulate kids playing basketball and hockey in the streets! Don't even start about playing "catch"!!!

The last thing we need is more government control telling us what we can do, where and when.

Have you tried to talk to them??
Amen! Can't wait to next year when I can finally get off of this horrible Island to a place where kids are allowed to be kids!

All you snobby kid haters can have it all to yourselves!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island