Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 04:59 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,669,779 times

Advertisements

Nassau County is expected to name a private operator for Long Island Bus this Friday. The MTA has operated LIBus since 1973 for the county.

With all the talk of private companies doing a better job than the MTA, we now will have the chance to see it it can already be done.

So my question is: Will LI Bus succeed or fail under private control?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2011, 06:10 AM

332 posts, read 613,857 times
It will fail in the end. There is a reason why the MTA was formed and took over the formerly privately owned subways, buses and railroads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckthedog View Post
Nassau County is expected to name a private operator for Long Island Bus this Friday. The MTA has operated LIBus since 1973 for the county.

With all the talk of private companies doing a better job than the MTA, we now will have the chance to see it it can already be done.

Old 06-09-2011, 06:24 AM
Noc

1,435 posts, read 2,069,985 times
It doesn't look good one way or the other. No MTA means no transfer to city bus or subway. It'll be just like LIRR in bus form. Monthly LI bus ticket/card and metro card.

For better or worse this may force people off the Island and into the city so the private bus may fail eventually due to lack of ridership.

Old 06-09-2011, 06:57 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,669,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabbat hunter View Post
It will fail in the end. There is a reason why the MTA was formed and took over the formerly privately owned subways, buses and railroads.
My thoughts exactly. A little history:

1965 NYS buys the LIRR from the Pennsylvania (Private and failing)

1966 Metropolitan Commuter Transportation Authority formed to manage the RR, apply for UMTA grants and buy new cars

1968 Renamed, removing the word 'Commuter', as it takes over control of the NYCTA which was created to take over control of the Private and failing BMT & IRT subways, and bus lines including MaBSTOA
Takes control of TBTA to fund the subway and LIRR

1971 Buys the Staten Island Rapid Transit from Baltimore & Ohio Railroad (Private and failing)

1973 Takes control of LI Bus from Nassau County

1983 Buys Conrail commuter rail lines to form Metro-North Railroad, Conrail was the consolidated operator of NY Central, New Haven & Hartford Railroads, that faltered and merged with the Pennsylvania to form Penn Central in 1966. (all private and failing)

2002 Takes control of Jamaica Bus, Green Bus Lines, (and I think one other), as MTA Bus for Queens (private and failing)

Old 06-09-2011, 09:31 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,520,065 times
The MTA has some serious issues that need to be resolved, however dumping them in favor of a private operator is not going to bode well for service. Mass transit is not and cannot be a profitable enterprise, so the only way that a private operator can keep costs down is to cut service, be more lax on maintenance and/or hiring standards, and/or raise fares, none of which is the direction in which we should be going.

Old 06-09-2011, 10:29 AM

228 posts, read 810,336 times
Public transportation is a public good and not profitable system... Private companies will cut service, raise fares, lower standards until it can break even... The MTA helps support the system... Hopefully, Nassau learns quick that the MTA is all evil... But I'm pretty sure the point of privatizing the system is to get rid of the system completely.

Old 06-09-2011, 11:19 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:

I will reserve judgment until I see who the bus operator is and their record of providing transportation to other communities.

Old 06-10-2011, 10:25 AM

168 posts, read 314,566 times
Moving people has never been profitable public or private. The airlines have lost money over the years. They have needed bailouts or bankruptcy protection to remain solvent. All the original players no longer exist. The few charter bus companies that do make a profit do so at the expense of safety and maintenence. Just look at all the accidents and violations that have been handed out recently. This isnt a recent trend, this is always the end result. Kill someone and go out of business and repeat. Anyone remember Valujet...now Airtran soon to be Southwest. Southwest is the company that had FAA inspectors reasigned when the inspectors raised issues.

Mass transit is not a service that should be run by profit motive. Safety should be the first priority followed by dependable and accessable service to all.

Old 06-10-2011, 10:14 PM

11,636 posts, read 12,706,217 times
Quote:

2002 Takes control of Jamaica Bus, Green Bus Lines, (and I think one other), as MTA Bus for Queens (private and failing)
I think the one other may have been the Triborough bus company

Old 06-10-2011, 10:53 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Seeing as LI Bus will no longer be under the MTA, will there be a discounted MTA tax as there will be less to fund?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island