Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 03:46 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,760,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottzilla View Post
Your AC is supposed to be on all the time. .
THat's true. IMHO that's why it's kind of a waste in northern states because most days you don't need it. You know how it is, you get 3 straight days of 90 degrees in NYC area and they act like it's the apocalypse. I guess peoples' comfort levels differ though. I never used AC in NY unless we were in a heat wave...but with CAC you are supposed to keep it on all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2011, 04:46 PM

827 posts, read 3,093,608 times
Quote:
Your AC is supposed to be on all the time. This is a good thing. Units that are too large cool the air but do not remove humidity, so you feel cool buy yucky.
Your problem seems to be you were sold a line of bs. *most* times (I say most in the general sense because this place has become the pie chart/bar graph capital of the internet) AC cannot share hot air ducts simply because cool air requires more volume to move through the ducts (Larger ducts) and like I said earlier the returns need to be up high (Cool air falls, not rides) opposite of where your hot air returns are.
Scott, actually the previous homeowner's installed the unit we have through the forced hot air. So you are saying it's normal for a CAC unit to stay on for 10 hours when you are trying to cool it down to let's say...78 degrees on a hot day and no matter how many hours the unit is on, it will never make it down to that 78 degree mark..couldn't get it past 83 degrees after all that time? That just doesn't sound right to me.. My parents have CAC in their condo and it cycles on and off but definitely keeps it cool and you never feel the humidity...my CAC in my condo was the same way. may have cycled on and off a lot but never felt the humidity in the house...you always felt cool and not yucky. It just doesn't seem right to me that a CAC unit struggles to get down to 78 after being on for 10 hours... Yesterday (during the hot weather) without the sun shining in, we couldn't get temp below 83..that's not normal. However, I do agree with you about the ducts...for air conditioning it needs to be larger ductwork than heat and heat rises and our vents are in our floor. This is why we definitely need to run the ductwork through the attic.

However, we do have a 2 ton unit and it is on 1 zone right now through the forced hot air and is trying to cool down the main level and basement...which is approximately 2,000 square feet total..i do believe that a 2 ton unit does not suffice for that amount of square feet. I could be wrong. When we re-run everything, it will be going through 1 zone on main level only and the square footage will be 1150 instead of the 2,000 square feet it is trying to cool down now.

Old 06-10-2011, 04:49 PM

19,220 posts, read 17,072,760 times
Quote:
Your AC is supposed to be on all the time. This is a good thing. Units that are too large cool the air but do not remove humidity, so you feel cool buy yucky.
Your problem seems to be you were sold a line of bs. *most* times (I say most in the general sense because this place has become the pie chart/bar graph capital of the internet) AC cannot share hot air ducts simply because cool air requires more volume to move through the ducts (Larger ducts) and like I said earlier the returns need to be up high (Cool air falls, not rides) opposite of where your hot air returns are.
A very valid point when you are dealing with an older house. Homes built in the 70's and before did not account for the CAC so the ducts fall short. Later models seem to have allowed larger ducts for the dual purpose. ..

Old 06-11-2011, 11:58 PM

752 posts, read 1,462,033 times
I have one 15000 btu window unit and it keeps my entire downstairs around 68 nomatter how hot it is outside, upstairs there is a 9000 btu casement window unit...same there...68 no problem, my house is about 1500 square feet

Old 06-17-2011, 05:57 AM

20,926 posts, read 28,393,733 times
My mom has central air and she has a 3 bedroom cape. She keeps her thermostat at 68 on very hot days during the day and at night she puts it on 70. her house gets so cold you need socks and a blanket. I have a small ranch and we have an A/C in the living room window and one in the bed room. The house is 69-70 degrees and I keep the air on 68. my house is only 840 sq feet so it's cool enough. we thought about central air, still not sure if worth it for this small ranch. your house should feel cool and comfortable not warm.

Old 05-26-2012, 08:02 PM

4 posts, read 4,154 times
Call able air they always respond Immediate. Imho
I think the number is 516-764-4300 in Oceanside ny
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: