Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 06:33 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,112,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enjoyit View Post
4 million illegals right....sure you'd have less in south florida or arizona. Suffolk county one of the safest county with over a million people in USA. hmmm yeah who would go to the hamptons ohhhh the worlds elite do and you can too (if you have a car)...
Just wanted to advise you that as a newbie you might want to check the date of the 1st post and the last post. The post you responded to was started in June 2011 and the last was also from then. That is not to say you can't respond to an old post just to be aware of that you may be responding to a post that was timely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2015, 06:36 AM

1,778 posts, read 1,796,865 times
The OP posed the question in 2011, making this a zombie revival thread.

I am seeing more homes for sale here and there, likely due to market and Sandy recovery. Lots of people like myself were hanging back waiting for recovery, and now that it's here we're ready to hang out the "For Sale" sign. I think there was a big lag of people willing to sell so soon after the market crash.

As far as the taxes and congestion, that was always the case and neither are on track to improve.

Old 02-12-2015, 07:02 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,448,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
The OP posed the question in 2011, making this a zombie revival thread.

I am seeing more homes for sale here and there, likely due to market and Sandy recovery. Lots of people like myself were hanging back waiting for recovery, and now that it's here we're ready to hang out the "For Sale" sign. I think there was a big lag of people willing to sell so soon after the market crash.

As far as the taxes and congestion, that was always the case and neither are on track to improve.
Yea but you folks are overpricing your junky homes which is why they dont sell.

In particular I love the 50/50 Sandy homes where downstairs on taxpayers dime, new heating system, new 220 Amp box, brand new Den, Laundry room, Bathroom, new wood floors main level etc.

Go upstairs, Pink and Blue sinks and toliets in flilthy old bathrooms, wall to wall carpeting and 80s wall paper.

it is like 1972 upstairs and 2013 downstairs. Yet they now feel their house is worth a boat load more.

Also TAXES TAXES TAXES, bad location and a slew of 3 bedroom 1,600 square foot 60x100 houses for sale when folks want at least 2,000 square foot and four bath and tons of illegal garage conversions. Yep we have a garage door but why would we have a garage.

My favorite the "redone" Sandy houses backing up the Dump, Smoke Stack, Sands Mall and Cell Phone Tower in Oceanside priced at 799K. The fence to backyard is right next to dump. Yikes.

Old 02-16-2015, 05:52 PM

718 posts, read 620,113 times
People are getting sick and tired of the taxes to keep the grossly overpaid teachers and cops working with never ending undeserving raises.

Old 02-17-2015, 07:59 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,067,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Ok..simple answer, no one is buying. Im just curious as to why you see hundreds of homes for sale in communities across LI? Maybe some of the Real Estate pros can answer the question.

Are people selling because they can't afford the home anymore, are they selling because they want to retire and move to warmer climes, or are they just looking to sell because they want a different home? I would think that if you didnt need to sell your home you wouldnt give it a try at this time.

So RE pros...what are the main reasons people are selling now. I cant believe that anyone would put their home up for sale now because they simply want to move

Interesting that you mention it. Inventory is dropping to record lows on LI, especially in my area (central Nassau).

Old 02-17-2015, 10:15 AM

20,046 posts, read 20,850,556 times
Yeah I'm outa here. My expenses officially surpassed my salary.
Everything keeps rising faster than my wallet.
I'm out.

Old 02-17-2015, 11:37 AM

1,214 posts, read 3,643,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevar242 View Post
One word
TAXES
Our school tax just went up $500 a year.
For friggen what????????????????????????
For the public school teachers and administrators mostly.

Old 02-17-2015, 01:32 PM

88 posts, read 126,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaII View Post
For the public school teachers and administrators mostly.

And they continue to cry that they are underpaid!! Hey School teachers compare your salaries to a regular person. How do they fair? Remember we can see how much you get paid it is a public record. No longer the days were everything was hidden.

I heard from a neighbor school teacher that during a meeting with their superintendent, the teachers were told not to drive anything fancy to school as it will not look good when the parents would see that they are driving fancy/expensive cars. Superintendents/teachers/school boards know how to scare the moms & dads to keep voting for the budgets and bonds. Because you know they deserve the raises but the programs will need to get cut because they care for your kids. WE NEED A NEW PROCESS PUT IN PLACE!!! WHEN WILL THIS THIEVERY STOP?

Old 02-17-2015, 01:41 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,158,192 times
^^ It wont stop until people start showing up to vote and showing up to protest. With everyone sitting on a computer just talking about it nothing will change.

I think the gov't is getting the hint. They tried to hold to 2% cap rate and many districts did it. The ball is starting to roll. But if you taxes are going to go down then its just wishful thinking.

Old 02-17-2015, 02:35 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,882,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by commoncourtesy View Post
I heard from a neighbor school teacher that during a meeting with their superintendent, the teachers were told not to drive anything fancy to school as it will not look good when the parents would see that they are driving fancy/expensive cars.
I believe it. Very typical cars in the parking lots despite what people claim they see. They are right about how parents would feel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island