Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 03:04 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,327,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aminaNP View Post
I'm actually a graduate of North Babylon High School and as someone who actually ATTENDED NB High, I highly reccommend you seek other options if possible. North Babylon is terrible when it comes to providing quality resources to thier students wether it be academic or recreational. Everything in that school is outdated. That school was the mecca for teen pregnancy and drug and alcohol abuse, The students who DID manage to graduate in time, 9 times out of ten ended up going to the local community college in Brentood, very few moved on to four year universities. The district also has infinite history of members of the board embezzling money. One thing to keep in mind is the further out East you go, the better the school district. I suggest you look into Babylon High School it's located right in the heart of the town's small community which is very beautiful and family oriented. Also take a look at Smithtown, Dix Hills, and Northport.

By, the way not all school is Nassau county are bad. They have exceptional schools located in the North shore, for instance, Muttontown and Bayville, however the people who reside in those areas make serious bank, I'm taking multi-million dollar homes. If money isn't a concern to you, then the sky is your limit so extend your research to those those areas as well. Good Luck.

I also want to note that North Babylon has made major improvements since I've been there (graduated 2006) with the implementation of a New and more qualified principle, students have been making major improvments academically.
I graduated a few years later than you did and I agree with some of what you said but I don't really understand your perspective when it comes to the school being outdated.

The School is not really out-dated. The only noticeable thing outdated about the School was that there was some broken water-fountains and the cement walkways in the back of the school were not well-maintained.

And as for Teen-Pregnancies, I only knew a hand-full of people in my grade who were pregnant. I will acknowledge that a huge percentage of the student body did smoke cigarettes, students would smoke in the back of the school (along the walkways and also in front of the school on DPA/Phelps Lane); as for alcohol-abuse, I don't know but it wouldn't surprise me. But most High Schools have those kinds of problems, it's High School! Even Smithtown for example which is a well-off area was having a well-publicized Drug-Crisis last year.

As for most students ending up at SCCC in Brentwood; yeah that's true, lol, I went there too . It is true that they seem to just push you to graduate and go to AT LEAST a Community College but they really should encourage their students to strive a little higher.

But yeah, there are better school districts out there, but North Babylon is still alright. Most of the teachers were okay but a lot of their Math teachers were not very helpful.

Last edited by LongIslandPerson; 07-08-2011 at 03:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2011, 02:06 PM

247 posts, read 510,773 times
This is an old thread, but we are checking out a house next week that is on Peary Street in West Babylon. I checked it out on Google maps and the houses nearby kind of look like they are falling apart, and it is clearly close to an industrial area. That aside, it seems to be quite north and bordering on Wyandanch.

We are a young couple, not at all interested in nightlife and that kind of BS... Don't mind diversity but would like someplace safe. Would I have anything to worry about if I am particularly close to Wyandanch? It looks like, from what has been said, that W. Babylon is a good place to live. Just looking for some recent input... thanks!

Old 09-23-2011, 02:19 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieDaphne View Post
This is an old thread, but we are checking out a house next week that is on Peary Street in West Babylon.
According to the Census Bureau's online address search function, Peary Street is in Wyandanch ("West Babylon, NY 11704" mailing address).

Old 09-23-2011, 02:20 PM

Oh... wow, thanks for that!

Old 09-23-2011, 02:22 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
Quote:
Oh... wow, thanks for that!
But, it is in the West Babylon Union Free School District.

Old 09-23-2011, 02:25 PM

20,928 posts, read 28,397,897 times
Yeah stay away from any neighborhoods bordering wyandanch. We went to check on a house in West babylon in 2003. We drove by it saw the sale sign and called the realtor. The term he used was "this house is in a chummy neighborhood' plus the fact that people had bars on their windows did not seem to thrill me that much. So we took that off our list of neighborhoods. Islip is very nice, I live here 8 years.

Old 09-23-2011, 05:48 PM

Which part of Islip? I've heard varying things about different parts and quite frankly it confuses me... Islip Terrace, East Islip, West Islip... Where should I be looking?

Old 09-23-2011, 07:43 PM

Quote:
This is an old thread, but we are checking out a house next week that is on Peary Street in West Babylon. I checked it out on Google maps and the houses nearby kind of look like they are falling apart, and it is clearly close to an industrial area. That aside, it seems to be quite north and bordering on Wyandanch.

We are a young couple, not at all interested in nightlife and that kind of BS... Don't mind diversity but would like someplace safe. Would I have anything to worry about if I am particularly close to Wyandanch? It looks like, from what has been said, that W. Babylon is a good place to live. Just looking for some recent input... thanks!
You don't have anything to worry about living in the part of West Babylon that is close to Wyandanch. I mean, just double-check that the house either falls into the North Babylon or West Babylon School District because if you ever do have kids than you wouldn't want them in Wyandanch Schools. North Bab and West Bab Schools have fairly good performance and the vast majority of this area falls into North or West Babylon Schools. One thing I must say about this area is that the main streets like Little East Neck, Straight Path and Mount Ave do have a number of worn/neglected homes along it but once you get off of the main roads it usually gets pretty nice with a lot of nice big homes with good-sized properties; drive around the area and you'll see what I mean, don't judge a book by it's cover (the properties west of Little East Neck rd are especially huge). Belmont Lake State Park is nearby which is excellent. I know you said you didn't mind diversity but West Babylon north of the parkway is predominately Black. The nicest parts I would say are between Schenectady Ave and Belmont Ave, lots of nice homes with big trees (but lol, unfortunately that wasn't so great during Hurricane Irene!) According to the US Census, the median household income of this section of West Babylon is over $100,000 which is well above the average for the South Shore of Suffolk County;
Mapping America ? Census Bureau 2005-9 American Community Survey - NYTimes.com

I lived here 15+ years and the only major complaints I have are the proximity there is to decent stores (since the stores on Straight Path SUCK), loose dogs that you occasionally see and having no sewers; you need to have your cesspool emptied(though they are fixing that, there is a large project underway that is supposed to provide Sewer access to the entire area all the way up into Wheatley Heights).

I live in the section of West Babylon that is close to the Wyandanch border (Brennan High School area) and we really haven't had any major crimes. In the 15+ years I lived here, there has only been one shooting that I heard of, which was on Fulton St (but the people involved seemed to be involved in the "street lifestyle" and just happened to be in this area). I can recall only two home-invasions throughout my 15+ years living here, both were in that area between Hilltop ave and Little East Neck Rd which is generally more worn than the rest of this section of West Babylon. West Babylon north of the parkway is very quiet, you rarely see people hanging out on the street or any other rowdiness, nobody bothers you; even as a kid growing up and playing around, nobody messed with me.
As another poster mentioned, there are some homes that have bars on their lower windows but the reality is that this area is close to Wyandanch, which has higher crime, so they are probably just taking precautions. I personally believe a Security System and using common-sense (like locking doors) would be enough, bars are probably going a little overboard.

As for Peary Street, Peary Street is in Wyandanch and not West Babylon. Again, double-check with the school to make sure it is actually falls into West Babylon Schools. (A relative of mine back years back was told she was buying in Wheatley Heights with Half Hollow Hills Schools but ended up in Wyandanch with Wyandanch Schools so NEVER fully trust a realtor; do you're homework).

Do your research (don't trust any realtor), drive around the area and see if this area fits you and makes you happy. I wish you the best of luck.

100% honest reply.

Last edited by LongIslandPerson; 09-23-2011 at 09:10 PM..

Old 09-23-2011, 09:03 PM

I appreciate the honest information. Thank you for that -- it is much appreciated! I guess we'll have to just take a look

Old 09-23-2011, 09:08 PM

Here is a map of the Wyandanch School District;

I would not recommend buying in the highlighted area. If whatever home your interested comes close to the highlited area then call the School Districts registration office, give them the address and they will tell you with certainty what district it is in.

Last edited by LongIslandPerson; 09-23-2011 at 09:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island