Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 08:50 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,496,245 times

Advertisements

What happened to Deer Park???? At the time when I grew up in NB, there were lots of people with last names that ended in a vowel in DP? I can't believe they would "allow" and area to go to pot like that! I worked at The Arby's in DP as a teen...and the people who came in there were pretty middle class. I am surpised that it sounds like the area has crossed the line to lower class!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2007, 09:28 AM

1,876 posts, read 2,677,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
What happened to Deer Park???? At the time when I grew up in NB, there were lots of people with last names that ended in a vowel in DP? I can't believe they would "allow" and area to go to pot like that! I worked at The Arby's in DP as a teen...and the people who came in there were pretty middle class. I am surpised that it sounds like the area has crossed the line to lower class!

I was shocked too.

I wouldnt say its Lower Class...but the Middle Class is fleeing(everywhere)

I saw Patchogue fall apart in the early 80s.....CI too.

Seems the Badabing Army has moved south to White Islip and Babylon.

Can ya blame em?

Old 08-09-2007, 03:54 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,278,987 times
What happened to Deer Park???? At the time when I grew up in NB, there were lots of people with last names that ended in a vowel in DP?

ummmmm , what are you talking about ? Did you really say that people with vowels at the ends of their names are lower class ? Is that what you meant to say ? In 2007 ? I guess that includes Franklin DelanO Roosvelt, then.

Or did you mean that people with vowels at the ends of their names are upper class, like the Sopranos ?

Old 08-09-2007, 04:20 PM

1,359 posts, read 5,656,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
What happened to Deer Park???? At the time when I grew up in NB, there were lots of people with last names that ended in a vowel in DP?

ummmmm , what are you talking about ? Did you really say that people with vowels at the ends of their names are lower class ? Is that what you meant to say ? In 2007 ? I guess that includes Franklin DelanO Roosvelt, then.

Or did you mean that people with vowels at the ends of their names are upper class, like the Sopranos ?
I think they meant that it used to be all Italian and was a nice, safe, decent area...not as much anymore.

Are you really this defensive? I hate to tell you, but there are more than enough areas that were good when it was white and not so much anymore.

Old 08-09-2007, 04:21 PM

1,359 posts, read 5,656,487 times
Sounds crazy, but maybe this will add some cache to Deer Park...

The Arches

Old 08-09-2007, 04:33 PM

991 posts, read 4,618,237 times
When tanger went into riverhead it certainly improved the area.

Old 08-09-2007, 04:57 PM

1,058 posts, read 3,488,174 times
To TrudiRose:

Just so you know, West Babylon gets kids from Wyandanch also. Expect the number of Blacks and Hispanics to increae rapidly in the West Babylon schools. This is especially so in all the areas bordering Wyandanch. The white percentage is dropping. The northern part of the West Babylon zipcode area is predominantly black and although most of these kids go to NB schools the number trickling into WB is increasing. So I'll be frank, if you are worried about blacks there is no escaping them anywhere anymore. The entire south shore is slowly changing.

Old 08-09-2007, 05:03 PM

As far as North Babylon is concerned many of here know that there are certain problems, but we are trying very hard to make NB a better place. Should we cut and run? Where do we go? the entire Island is changing or should we stand our ground?

Old 08-09-2007, 05:18 PM

81 posts, read 411,006 times
NBRes, it's not specifically about "black" per se; I'm happy with a diverse population if they're hardworking, responsible people. It's more about socioeconomic background, crime, etc. I've just seen a lot of posts both here and on the GreatSchools.net site, saying the NB high school and middle school have a bad element and kids are bullied and harassed etc., and that's what makes me nervous. The WB middle school and high school haven't gotten those kind of comments.

Of course you live there and you want to make it a better place, and that's commendable. No one's saying you should "cut and run." But for someone like me, who's choosing a place to move TO, I want a place that's already nice, not one that needs improvement. One of the big reasons to move to Long Island is having better schools, because here in Brooklyn and in New York City as a whole, the middle schools and high schools are notoriously bad. The newspapers are always writing about "The Middle School Crisis." So if I move to an area of Long Island where the schools aren't good, it defeats one of the main goals of moving, you know?

P.S. GCguy, that Arches shopping plaza looks REALLY nice! Does it say when they expect to open?

Old 08-09-2007, 05:51 PM

North Babylon schools are fine. The Middle School is good. Everyone I have talked to with kids in the Middle School has had a great experience. The same goes for the high school. Every school district has its issues. Was it not Bellmore-Merrick where the football team sodomized one of their own team mates, or in Connectquot where a student plotted to kill his classmates, or...I could just go on. The point being that you need to come out here and check out each neighborhood - I think you will be more attracted to North Babylon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island